Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Motherboard Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Motherboard Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/406

Here is a snippet:
"Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 is a socket 775 motherboard targeted to new Core 2 Duo family, as it is based on the new Intel P965 chipset. One of the main advantages of this new chipset is the unofficial suppo..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 12-13-2006, 09:15 AM   #2
MikeBravo

Join Date Dec 2006
MikeBravo is on a distinguished road

Default Install Conundrum

When you say "It is very important to notice that the single ATA/133 port available on this motherboard is controlled by the JMicron chip, not by the chipset. This means that if you install an optical drive there it will only be recognized on Windows after you install the “Gigabyte SATA2” driver. The problem is that this driver comes on the motherboard CD-ROM, and you won’t be able to install it, as the system does not recognize your optical drive."

Does that mean you could install from a SATA optical drive attached to one of the ICH8 southbridge ports without a problem, especially if you had no desire for RAID?
MikeBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 05:09 AM   #3
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Yes, you are right. If you install a SATA optical drive you won't have any problem. I have just edited the review to clarify this, thanks for your comment.

Best regards,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 03:12 PM   #4
moshpit

Join Date Dec 2006
moshpit is on a distinguished road

Hi Gabriel,

I enjoyed your article, but had to join the forums to make a few comments about some things I would have liked to see more of. While I found 90% of the review to be very accurate overall, I saw your overclocking section as being bit to much on the bare bones side when you are dealing with one of the most popular overclockers motherboards available for Core 2 Duo. I've now assembled 6 systems, one for myself, around this motherboard and on the 2 that I was "allowed" to test overclocking with, both reached 800mhz+ overclocks on E6600 CPUs with almost no effort at all beyond changing the FSB. I based my initial purchase of this motherboard from the information I found on Xtremesystems and HardOCP forums about how this board was able to hit phenomenal overclocks with little to no serious effort with even not so great week numbered CPUs.

One of the things to be aware of tho, is that there seems to be a "hole" in the stable overclocks you can reach between 350-ish all the way up to 400mhz on the fsb. But the fact that you hit your ceiling at a lowely sub-333mhz fsb, and have superior overclocking memory being used in your review, something else is to blame for your low overclocking efforts then the motherboard, and it could be anything from a bad overclocking CPU to a power supply fluctuation, but I don't feel your review accurately reflected the overclocking abilities of this board, OR the Asus P5B. Both boards are quite capable of 400mhz+ fsb with no other tweaks other then setting that in the bios, and do so with great regularity on just about every forum I frequent including Rage3d, HardOCP, and xtremesystems.org and I felt compelled to point this out to you.
moshpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 03:17 AM   #5
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Hi,

You are absolutelly right. Our overclocking was limited to the overclocking capability of our CPU, a Core 2 Duo E6700. I will edit this review to add this remark.

Once again, thanks for posting your comment, it really helped us in getting better reviews from now on.

Thanks,
Gabriel.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:02 AM   #6
gerwen

Join Date Jan 2007
gerwen is on a distinguished road

Default Memory timings

One thing you reported incorrectly. The memory timings on the board ARE accessible. However it is sort of hidden.

If you hit CTRL+F1 at the bios main page, the extra settings for all the memory timings become available in the same menu that the other overclockers settings are.

This is stated in the motherboard manual, although it's not exactly front-and-centre, and I missed it myself on the first read through. If i remember correctly, it's not exactly stated in the clearest english either.

Anyway, thought you might like to update your review with this info so as not to scare any hardcore tweakers away from this motherboard.
gerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:37 AM   #7
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Wow. I needed a crystal ball to find this one out. Thanks for your tip, I am updating the review right now.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:31 AM   #8
gerwen

Join Date Jan 2007
gerwen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Torres
Wow. I needed a crystal ball to find this one out.
You're not kidding. I wouldn't have found it if i wasn't obsessing over the board while it was waiting under the Christmas tree. I must have read every inch of the manual.
gerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:39 AM   #9
traycerb

Join Date Jan 2007
traycerb is on a distinguished road

re: sata and IDE drives. Just bought one of these motherboards and though the review implies it's impossible, I was able to use my optical drive out-of-the-box. no firmware updates. I don't have a SATA drive or even a floppy drive to try the workaround. I'm not sure what firmware revision i have, but i bought it less than a month ago from newegg. ymmv. no guarantee this would work for anyone else.

I used the drive to install the supplied cd and drivers needed to get the audio and ethernet ports working.

great review btw. learned a few things!
traycerb is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread