Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default ECS H55H-CM Motherboard

There has been a new article posted.

Title: ECS H55H-CM Motherboard
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/914

Here is a snippet:
"ECS has released four motherboards based on the new Intel H55 chipset, which is targeted to the new Core i3 and Core i5 processors with integrated video. Although they also have high-end products, ECS..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 01-28-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

Interesting motherboard!

Some comments:
- HDMI is great for a HTPC, but what if a DVI connector is required?
- The parallel port is dead wrt new peripherals, but I think there are plenty of older printers and scanners still in use that require it.
- Strange choice to support FDD but not PATA.

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
Orville

Join Date Mar 2010
Orville is on a distinguished road

Default Ecs h55h-i

Gabriel,

I read your review of the ECS H55H-CM motherboard published back at the end of January. Thank you for it. But my interest is in the smaller ECS H55H-I for two distinctly different applications. I tried to call ECS to get the answers I need, but guess what, they don't answer their phones, either in sales or in technical support. They probably don't want my paltry business. Anyway, I wonder if anyone would be very wise to buy any of their products since there would be no support. But I thought you might know a magic number there at ECS, so I'm writing to ask you to call ECS and get an H55H-I to review.

Getting down to the details, my first application is what I call a LAN Media Client and my second application is what I call a LAN Blu-ray movie server.

Both of my applications require AC power to be minimum so that I won't need a hurricane under my HDTV set to keep the Client cool, I hate fan noise, and likewise for the Server to run coolly and quietly in a credenza on the other side of the living room. I'm shooting for a full operating power at the wall of 50 Watts or less for the Client when it is displaying a 40Mbps Blu-ray movie sent to it over the LAN, a doable task, I hope, for an H55/H57 motherboard with a Core i3 530 CPU, maybe down-clocked some. I also am going to require all Blu-ray sound encodings to be bitstreamed (Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA included) through the on-board HDMI connector. I don't know if the ECS motherboard does this. I would very much appreciate it if you found out by testing it. Anyone who won't answer their phone would probably lie through their teeth, given any chance. Another thing is the LAN communication. Since it would take at least triple-stream 802.11n wireless NIC in a congested apartment complex to deliver Blu-ray, I have decided to use my trusty Gbit LAN. But sadly, most of the motherboard companies don't use performance NIC-PHYs that deliver/receive jumbo frames. I will require support of jumbo frames for both client and server because one end is no good without the other. Unfortunately for me, this leaves out such motherboards as the H55 based Zotac H55ITX-A-E and the H57 based Intel DH57JG. Too bad their engineers and product development management are so lame. After all, both of the named motherboards are aimed squarely at media applications. Both products use the decrepit Intel 82578DC NIC-PHY instead of $.15 more elegant 82578DN. What do these companies think us consumers are, as stupid as them.

Gabriel, sorry to take so much of your time reading this, but I really would appreciate your help in scoping out the ECS H55H-I motherboard for these media oriented applications. If you will do this I'll communicate with my thoughts on Blu-ray serving.

Hanks so much,

Orville
Orville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:20 AM   #4
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orville View Post
... so that I won't need a hurricane under my HDTV set to keep the Client cool, I hate fan noise, and likewise for the Server to run coolly and quietly ...
That shouldn't pose a problem, if done right, even with more power used. (Experts on the matter can be found at SPCR.)

Quote:
I'm shooting for a full operating power at the wall of 50 Watts or less...
That's a tough goal, I guess, unless opting to use an Atom CPU on an mini-ITX mobo or something like that.
Most regular computers draw more in idle...

Quote:
... But sadly, most of the motherboard companies don't use performance NIC-PHYs that deliver/receive jumbo frames. ...
How about using an expansion card to get that feature if it isn't supported by the motherboard?

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
Demosthenes
Super Moderator

Join Date Feb 2010
Demosthenes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gabriel,

I read your review of the ECS H55H-CM motherboard published back at the end of January. Thank you for it. But my interest is in the smaller ECS H55H-I for two distinctly different applications. I tried to call ECS to get the answers I need, but guess what, they don't answer their phones, either in sales or in technical support. They probably don't want my paltry business. Anyway, I wonder if anyone would be very wise to buy any of their products since there would be no support. But I thought you might know a magic number there at ECS, so I'm writing to ask you to call ECS and get an H55H-I to review.

Getting down to the details, my first application is what I call a LAN Media Client and my second application is what I call a LAN Blu-ray movie server.

Both of my applications require AC power to be minimum so that I won't need a hurricane under my HDTV set to keep the Client cool, I hate fan noise, and likewise for the Server to run coolly and quietly in a credenza on the other side of the living room. I'm shooting for a full operating power at the wall of 50 Watts or less for the Client when it is displaying a 40Mbps Blu-ray movie sent to it over the LAN, a doable task, I hope, for an H55/H57 motherboard with a Core i3 530 CPU, maybe down-clocked some. I also am going to require all Blu-ray sound encodings to be bitstreamed (Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA included) through the on-board HDMI connector. I don't know if the ECS motherboard does this. I would very much appreciate it if you found out by testing it. Anyone who won't answer their phone would probably lie through their teeth, given any chance. Another thing is the LAN communication. Since it would take at least triple-stream 802.11n wireless NIC in a congested apartment complex to deliver Blu-ray, I have decided to use my trusty Gbit LAN. But sadly, most of the motherboard companies don't use performance NIC-PHYs that deliver/receive jumbo frames. I will require support of jumbo frames for both client and server because one end is no good without the other. Unfortunately for me, this leaves out such motherboards as the H55 based Zotac H55ITX-A-E and the H57 based Intel DH57JG. Too bad their engineers and product development management are so lame. After all, both of the named motherboards are aimed squarely at media applications. Both products use the decrepit Intel 82578DC NIC-PHY instead of $.15 more elegant 82578DN. What do these companies think us consumers are, as stupid as them.

Gabriel, sorry to take so much of your time reading this, but I really would appreciate your help in scoping out the ECS H55H-I motherboard for these media oriented applications. If you will do this I'll communicate with my thoughts on Blu-ray serving.

Hanks so much,

Orville
We have just finished a review of the H55H-I. I hope it answers all of your questions.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread