Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Miscellaneous > Content Comments

Old 01-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #11
soulsend

Join Date Oct 2008
soulsend is on a distinguished road

I was willing to let this "review" go until you showed up Davidflorida. Fasten your seatbelts.

Quote:
Every online review I found on the Antec Skeleton case says basically the same thing as the review here at Hardware Secrets.
Overclockersclub review

Note to all readers...THAT IS A REVIEW. Tons of eye candy (pictures for those not familiar with that term), hardware installation, action shots of the top fan running, and running temps of the case (kinda hard to get these temps without any hardware installed aye Gabe?!)

Driverheaven.net review

Another solid review, and yes his main issue was the lack of room for tower cpu coolers but again, this is something only known due to (here it comes again folks) HARDWARE INSTALLATION.

Quote:
I don't know how many other reviews you read on this site. It sounds like the Antec was the only one, which is unfortunate, because there is a wealth of great information here.
I have randomly selected 2 other case reviews linked below.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/670/1

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/671

Two more "PREVIEWS" without hardware installation.

Am I the only one noticing a pattern here?

Meh, I have a feeling that im just spinning my wheels here and I'm sure Gabriel has more important things to do today then read this post (like trying to knock out 4 more **** case reviews before dinner).

Davidflorida, though your actions are noble, stop defending junk.
soulsend is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 01-02-2009, 02:08 AM   #12
Travis

Join Date May 2008
Travis is on a distinguished road

My point is that, reviewing such an expensive and stylish "case" for average joes which this site is usually aimed at, is a joke. Also like others have already said this "review" lacks some important parts including hardware installation, temperature testing, noise and viberation and so on. Frankly speaking, to enthusiasts the information included in the review is more important than the opinion in it, however this review isn't good in regard of conveying information.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #13
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsend View Post
Two more "PREVIEWS" without hardware installation.
Hello,

Thanks for your comments. I understand your point of view and I agree with you. However, there are a few things that you should keep in mind. First, our website is more targeted to the mainstream user. Yes, we could measure temperature, noise and a lot of other stuff, but this would put our case reviews at a level that is different from our target-audience (Average Joe). The second important thing is that I am almost a one-man-show, and I am really looking into hiring someone to help me writting reviews. This would allow me to concentrate my time on other areas that I am stronger (PSU reviews, tutorials).

If you think you could do a better job than I am doing, please let me know. I really need more reviewers.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #14
Sean SL

Join Date Jan 2009
Sean SL is on a distinguished road

Default I own an Antec Skeleton and love it.

I recently bought this case and love it. It is my favorite case. I also own an Antec QuietII and a Thermal take Tai Chi watercooled case (high on cool factor, but loud). It does remind me of the theme restaurant at the LAX airport, but you get used to it. Also don't worry about stepping on anything, anyone that would buy a case like this is not going to put it under a desk. With all the investment in quality components it is nice to show them off. The light show on the top fan is cool also.

Why buy this case? It is cool. I mean, really cool. With a GeminII fanless CPU cooler from Cooler Master, my processor stays in the low 20 degrees C.

What about dust? Have any of you noticed that your computers are lagging when they used to run fast? You might want to remove the cover and look at that clogged CPU cooler. My quietII was notorious for this. The screen in front of the drives would also load up and prevent them from cooling. Now with a fanless CPU cooler, this is no longer a problem. And if I notice dust, then I just blow it out. The fan right on the drives is very nice and extremely quiet. I would like too run more drives, but I am not too crazy about hanging them on the outside. It would be nice on the Raptor X with the glass window, but those are no longer made.

The case is really well thought out and well made. Everything is easy to reach and connect. I have no connection with Antec or any commercial interest, blah, blah, blah... I just like the case. It is easy to setup and maintain. It isn't apparent how good it is until you own one. If you see reviews from people that have a skeleton case, they love them.
Sean SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #15
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Hello Sean and welcome to our forums.

Thanks for your comments. It is always nice reading something written by someone that has a different opinion than me but argue with us with knowledge, giving constructive criticism and by really having the product. Some people appear here to criticize my opinion but don't actually own the product...

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:34 PM   #16
shabbo

Join Date Mar 2009
shabbo is on a distinguished road

fact - This is a comprehensive review including all negative aspects of this case that the author can think of....including elements of frustration and scarcasm about the complete joke of a product it is (to the author ie).

I went ahead and bought it anyways because NONE of the stated problems that the author had was on my list of requirements. So I really benefitted from this review ..Thanks :-)

I'd like to add Benefits for the readers:

1) you can SEE your dust level
2) you can dust more easily
3) Looks very cool (subjective)
4) runs very very cool especially with Crossfire
5) Fits comfortable on a small footprint in my 40" LCD stand...no other case would, that supported 25cm long video cards- either too tall or too deep.
6) 6 HDD storage - I use it all..again no other case on a 16x16 inch footprint matched the criteria
7) you can even stick it in a rack in a closet and worry less about cooling
shabbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:20 PM   #17
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Thanks Shaboo for your comments, it is always nice to see someone understanding that a review for a case is subjective to the reviewer's point of view... And that you may have a different opinion about the same product -- which is great! In this world that it seems people stop thinking and just following the herd, it is always nice to see people thinking for themselves...

Once again, thank you for your comments and welcome to our forums.

Cheers,
Gabriel Torres.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:41 PM   #18
akronos

Join Date Mar 2009
Geina (NL)
akronos is on a distinguished road

Jeez you guys scared me! I just ordered this case, just on looks. And for a lot higher price, having it shipped here. I read a few reviews on it, but none as bad as this. But after the first few pages it dawned on me. This review is not complete. As shabbo says, the reviewers reasons for despising it are mine for buying it. I never have a case with sides on it for longer than 5 minutes. I have a perspex hifi case. I have a chrome PS3. I like the abnormal.
That is my opinion. As anyone is entitled to theirs.
But, reviewer, please never use the word joke again. You´re entitled to your opinion, but not to that word. A review saying something is a joke, without properly using it, isn´t a review. It´s also not of much use. And saying this site is for the ´average joe´ cannot be true, he would never be here. And certainly not reading a review of an extreme case. Or any case, because the average joe wouldn´t buy just a case, he´d buy a system. One good thing, I discovered this site because of all this. So, I thank this reviewer for bringing me here, if not for the review.
akronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #19
Livia

Join Date Apr 2009
Livia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Torres View Post
Hello,

Thanks for your comments. I understand your point of view and I agree with you. However, there are a few things that you should keep in mind.
Gabriel, there are a few things you should keep in mind as a writer, and as a professional.

Quote:
First, our website is more targeted to the mainstream user. Yes, we could measure temperature, noise and a lot of other stuff, but this would put our case reviews at a level that is different from our target-audience (Average Joe).
This case's market is not the mainstream user. Your audience IS the mainstream user. Case market != audience. Thus, don't review it. Lesson number one in writing, Gabriel, is to know your audience. Otherwise, all you do is waste everyone's time.

Quote:
The second important thing is that I am almost a one-man-show, and I am really looking into hiring someone to help me writting reviews. This would allow me to concentrate my time on other areas that I am stronger (PSU reviews, tutorials).
It is quite obvious to everyone here that case reviews aren't your strong point. You want to spend more time on areas you're stronger in. That's great. There is a simple solution to this: stop producing half-assed case reviews at all. Just stop doing them. Period. This will give you more time to concentrate on your good points and give readers more time to read case reviews by people whose strong point is actually case reviews.

Quote:
If you think you could do a better job than I am doing, please let me know. I really need more reviewers.
The last thing you should keep in mind, Gabriel, is that you should not alienate your audience. There is a good reason why the tradition writer is behind a desk and at least 10 feet away from any reader. If you are incapable of processing other people's arguments, it only does you harm to keep repeating the same points over and over again without thought AT people who read your work.

Cheers,
Livia.

Last edited by Livia; 04-21-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread