Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...er-Review/1062

Here is a snippet:
"We tested the Noctua NH-D14, a huge CPU cooler with two tower heatsinks, six U-shaped heatpipes, and two fans, one 120 mm and one 140 mm. Let's see if this monster really cools a CPU.The NH-D14 box is..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
halfwaythere

Join Date Aug 2009
halfwaythere is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The performance level is very good, but not outstanding.
I dare you to name a cooler that delivers an outstanding performance if the NH-D14 doesn't.

Testing a 90$ product at stock voltage... Why bother. We've gone through this before: why would you care what the stock cooler does? Just slap a FAIL next to it and show folks why after market products are worth their asking price.
halfwaythere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:11 AM   #3
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwaythere View Post
Testing a 90$ product at stock voltage... Why bother.
I sort of agree... This cooler really shines when the fans are undervolted. Performance at very low noise levels is where this one really stands out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwaythere View Post
... why would you care what the stock cooler does? Just slap a FAIL next to it and show folks why after market products are worth their asking price.
The stock coolers are by no means "failed"! They provide sufficient cooling for running the CPU at stock settings in a not so well ventilated case. And they do so at a very reasonable price level, to say the least.
The only common problem with stock coolers is that they're noisy. (And they're also not very suitable if you want to overclock or undervolt the CPU, but that's not what they're designed for in the first place.)

Knowing how efficient the stock cooler is provides a good base for comparisons and evaluations to third party coolers.

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
halfwaythere

Join Date Aug 2009
halfwaythere is on a distinguished road

You're right I bought my Megahalems to replace the stock cooler and run on stock voltages and frequency.

/end sarcasm.

I'm pretty sure most of the NH-D14 buyers replace the stock fans because they're ****, I know from experience I own them both.

I honestly don't understand why would someone waste time testing stuff in this manner when you can adopt a simple methodology way more relevant: all stock, stock volts, stock fans, stock frequency, stock cooler included for the ones who care about that and a performance mode lets say 3.8Ghz on an 1156 i7 at aprox. 1.35v with a couple of 1600 rpm S-flex at full rpm and undervolted to a whisper quiet 800 or 1000 rpm.
halfwaythere is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread