Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Miscellaneous > Content Comments

Old 06-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #11
YESSS

Join Date Jun 2013
YESSS is on a distinguished road

Okay, here's a little update on the beautiful failing of this over-rated PSU from Budapest, the capital of Hungary. Bought mine on the 1st of October 2010. Removed it from my rig on the 30th of May, 2013. Well, it served ALMOST 32 months, then it failed GLORIOUSLY! Want to know the conf it was supposed to drive? SURE! It was actually a TUALATIN CELERON CPU-based, basically P3-rig. Okay, I understand, it was probly overwhelmed w/ tasks like printing, scanning, and eventually verifying my newly written dvd-s, yes! Sure enough, that's all! Hopefully, can let my dealer replace the junk as it's still under warranty, thank God! So much for Your 10 out of 10 review, thank you.

Last edited by Gabriel Torres; 06-03-2013 at 07:47 AM. Reason: 2 = to
YESSS is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #12
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

New PSUs shouldn't be used on Pentium 3 or earlier PCs, as they draw most current from the 5V rail, which no modern PSU is designed for. All new PSUs have fairly weak 5V rails and more powerful 12V rails.

When used on a more modern PC, they are excellent PSUs. I've used a few of them before and they've been great.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #13
YESSS

Join Date Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.hegge View Post
New PSUs shouldn't be used on Pentium 3 or earlier PCs, as they draw most current from the 5V rail, which no modern PSU is designed for. All new PSUs have fairly weak 5V rails and more powerful 12V rails.

When used on a more modern PC, they are excellent PSUs. I've used a few of them before and they've been great.
Thanks very much for the quick reply. Yeah, I'm beware of the differencies between ATX 1.xx and 2.xx norms. The thing is, that nowadays you simply CAN'T get a new ATX 1.xx PSU. And, as it has worked flawlessly for like I said about 32 months, I assumed (maybe falsely), that this shouldn't be a problem at all. My used PSU before the CORSAIR went caboom, and getting another used ATX 1.xx is also like russian roulette, after all. But I feel, that unfortunately maybe, I will have to take this route.

And yes, I also do have 2 more 'modern' rigs, one is powered by a CORSAIR TX650M (P4 Prescott) and my gaming rig is powered by an HX650, the older, bronze edition (i5-2500K). I also don't have any issues w/ them either.

Excuse me, I didn't really mean ranting over CORSAIR PSU-s at all, but this is a frustrating situation for me, IMO. Also, my deep apologies to Gabriel if he ever happens to read this. I value his PSU-reviews very much, especially the pictures.

Last edited by YESSS; 06-02-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:39 AM   #14
Doh

Join Date Sep 2012
Doh is on a distinguished road

This opens that can of worms "how do I find out what the likely current draw from the 3.3V, 5V and 12V rails is likely to be ?" I am aware of one software estimator for doing this, but the free version only provides you with an estimate for the total power requirement; you have to pay for the version which will estimate the different current loadings on the individual rails.

My system is powered by an Intel Celeron runing at 2.7GHz. Is this a pre-P4 system or a post P4 system ? i.e., is it P3 type or later ? It dates from 2001 or 2000.

Newer PSUs don't have the rated (current) capacity of my original and current PSU (which are perhaps overrated anyway, as they are a Bestec 250W model supplied by HP [AX250-12Z REV C], and an Octigen 300W unit [with lower indidividual ratings than the Bestec])

My PC has boot difficulties whivch I originally attributed to insufficient power, which is one reason I replaced the 250W PSU with a 300W unit (the only one I could find at that time with a 20 pin connector) [I knew even less about PSU's then than I do now !)

Doh!
6.June.2013
Compaq Presario S5160UK DT261A under XP/SP3
Processor - Celeron 2.7 GHz
Motherboard - MSI MS-6577 v2.1
RAM - 1GB + 512MB (1GB +1GB max) DDR PC2700
PSU - Octigen 300W model 10270PSOTG ('upgraded' from original Bestec 250W PSU [in 2011?])
Nvidia GeForce 6200 graphics card in AGP slot.
Numerous USB devices (rarely all running concurrently) 3 fans, 1 in PSU, 2 x 70mm in case, 1 internal IDE HD
Doh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #15
YESSS

Join Date Jun 2013

Hi there,

yours is definitely a P4-based rig, already. P3-based Celerons just do go up to 1.4 GHz, so you surely won't be plagued by the issues I have, don't worry! Of course, you may well have other problems, that is... Check your mainboard for bulging capacitors, especially in the close vicinity of your CPU. If you ever find one, you have a mainboard issue. That's the most obvious way to start troubleshooting.

P4-based systems already use ATX 2.xx PSUs, most likely. However in the very early, ancient times, they did put a P4-connector on ATX 1.xx PSUs as well, but for today, they have become very rare. If unsure, your best bet is to check the table on the unit itdelf. If you have the highest amps on the +12V-rails, then your PSU is definitely ATX 2.xx, I'd say.

As for your question of which rail might be faulty, this is hard to answer, at least for me. Of course you can always measure out voltages w/ a digital multimeter, but sadly I lost mine, somewhere.

Other thing is, that my failed VX450 is still well under warranty, so I wouldn't wanna mess w/ it too much. All I can say, that the thing has +5V standby working, and that's for sure. Because when I flipped on the main switch at the back, my illuminated PS/2 mouse came on instantly and also my keyboard LEDs blinked.

I'd also rule out the +12V-rail, as like c.hegge said correctly, ATX 2.xx PSUs ARE designed to have plenty of current on these rail(s). The VX450 has double forward, single +12V rail design I believe.

This just leaves either the +3.3V or the +5V-rail to blame -- also agreed w/ c.hegge! I will ask my retailer when they have tested it, which one failed? They are a dedicated comp-parts store, so they will surely test it before sending it back.

Last edited by YESSS; 06-06-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #16
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

^
They won't be able to tell. If any one of them fails, the PSU won't even start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doh View Post
My PC has boot difficulties which I originally attributed to insufficient power, which is one reason I replaced the 250W PSU with a 300W unit (the only one I could find at that time with a 20 pin connector) [I knew even less about PSU's then than I do now !)

Doh!
6.June.2013
Compaq Presario S5160UK DT261A under XP/SP3
Processor - Celeron 2.7 GHz
Motherboard - MSI MS-6577 v2.1
RAM - 1GB + 512MB (1GB +1GB max) DDR PC2700
PSU - Octigen 300W model 10270PSOTG ('upgraded' from original Bestec 250W PSU [in 2011?])
Nvidia GeForce 6200 graphics card in AGP slot.
Numerous USB devices (rarely all running concurrently) 3 fans, 1 in PSU, 2 x 70mm in case, 1 internal IDE HD
250W would have been enough for that rig. It was probably just the capacitors failing (I've seen that lots of times with those Bestecs). I doubt if your new "300W" PSU is really any more than 250W anyway.

Last edited by c.hegge; 06-06-2013 at 04:13 PM.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #17
YESSS

Join Date Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.hegge View Post
^
They won't be able to tell. If any one of them fails, the PSU won't even start.
Okay, I visit my retailer today and will post how things are working out.

BTW, thanks for your VS450 review, at hardwareinsights...
Old 06-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #18
YESSS

Join Date Jun 2013

Well, I have taken my failed CORSAIR VX450 to my retailer yesterday (here, in Budapest will be 1:00 AM shortly, as I type this). Unfortunately, they didn't test it on the spot but asked about 1 week for me to wait. So, I can't post you any news right now, sorry!

Last edited by YESSS; 06-07-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:03 AM   #19
YESSS

Join Date Jun 2013

Thumbs up Hello again!

Sorry that it took such a long time, but now reporting back the end(?) of my VX450 mistery...

Well, incident Number 1: contacted my retail store first after about one week after delivering my VX450 to them. They said it is working perfect and I can take it back again. Furthermore, they wanted to charge me for some inspection fees because I raised warranty claims without any valid reason, so they said. Obviously they thought, it was user error, on the very part of me...

Incident Number 2: fortunately (well, from the point of view of this case anyways) I became sick shortly after that, so I couldn't really care about this matter for a while. However, I called them again yesterday, explaining the situation and asked when will I be able to take my 'perfectly working' VX450 back home. After a while of fiddling w/ case number, etc. the technician told me finally, that my VX450 is actually, errr... FAULTY, and the error manifested itself 'after a couple of days', so he said... Surprise, surprise! He also said, they have sent it back to the distributor, so now I'm without a PSU (i.e. the spare non-Corsair I mounted the very first day of the failure is working sure enough in my other rig since that time, needless to say).

So, at the end of the day the VX450 died on me like I said, after about 2 and a half year w/ minimal usage, hm! Not bad...

Having said that it just MIGHT work as well for somebody, who has better luck, than I had with it, maybe, after some repairing...

Now, it's up to the distributor, what will happen (hence the question mark after the word 'end') but I surely hope, I won't get the same POS back again...

Oh, and ordered a PSU-tester w/ LCD-display in the meantime, just in case...

Last edited by YESSS; 07-02-2013 at 02:35 AM.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #20
YESSS

Join Date Jun 2013

Thumbs up Going with OCZ this time!

Finally managed to get a full refund, this week!

Now, I decided to give OCZ a shot:

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages..._review,1.html

This is the smallest version and not the 650W-unit, that Gabriel reviewed here, on this site. Never had an OCZ PSU before -- now I shall see, how this is gonna work out. The VX-series are discont'd meanwhile of course, and I didn't want to have a CX, let alone a VS as a replacement...

Having said that, I still do have 2 flawlessly running CORSAIR PSUs in my other two rigs. Just got a lemon w/ this particular VX450, so it seems... Thanks for reading and replying -- much appreciated!

Last edited by YESSS; 08-17-2013 at 07:15 AM. Reason: typo
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread