Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Cooler Master Elite Power 460 W Power Supply Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Cooler Master Elite Power 460 W Power Supply Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...ly-Review/1005

Here is a snippet:
"We also like to review low-end products from time to time so people with a serious budget restriction can have an idea whether it is worthwhile to buy cheap products or not. Today we are going to take..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
Phaedrus

Join Date Sep 2009
Phaedrus is on a distinguished road

CoolerMaster Sales Guy (CMSG): Hey, I know, let's take one of our power supplies, arbitrarily add 60W to its power rating, and sell it for ten dollars more!

CoolerMaster PSU Engineer (CMPE): No, that's a terrible idea, what will we tell people when it fails to deliver its rated wattage?

CMSG: **** the customer, an extra $10 for nothing is my idea of early Christmas.

CMPE: Ok, but what about the public's reaction when they hear about this? What about you, CoolerMaster Marketing Dude (CMMD)?

CMMD: Sorry, I couldn't hear you, I was doing a line of coke out of a hooker's cleavage. Something about a power supply? Just call it Elite or something, people will eat that **** up.

CMPE: Agh, fine, whatever. Y'all suck.

And so the Elite Power 460W was born. Way to go, CoolerMaster.
Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
Aws

Join Date May 2010
Aws is on a distinguished road

Hilarious. I naively thought such things don't happen anymore because of how easily they're exposed online.
Aws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
Travis

Join Date May 2008
Travis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aws View Post
Hilarious. I naively thought such things don't happen anymore because of how easily they're exposed online.
It so difficult for review sites to cover so many low end products.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #5
Stefan Payne

Join Date Nov 2009
Stefan Payne is on a distinguished road

The PSU Vendors don't send the **** to be testet.
Especially if the tester has an active load and a scope.

The **** goes to sites who don't have the knowledge and/or the equipment to do decent tests.

And, of course, it's getting tested pretty good...
Stefan Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I want to ratify what you guys have already guessed.

Manufacturers don't send low-end products for review, as they know the product won't perform well. Therefore we buy ourselves these low-end power supplies, because we like to throw them in the mix so people can understand why it is better to pay more and get a decent power supply.

Another reason I think it is important to invest in this kind of review is that I believe it is important to post some negative reviews from time to time, this way readers can trust us when we say that a product is good. Also, you will see that we post negative reviews even of products of companies that advertise with us. We keep editorial and advertising completely separated. We know about some websites that won't publish negative reviews of products manufactured by their advertisers/sponsors. Talk about being biased!

And finally, people from Cooler Master's US office were cool about this review, especially because we bought the unit ourselves. Cooler Master's HQ in Taiwan, one the other hand, got annoyed, but what can they do? They know the product is very low-end. Unfortunately there are some companies out there that think they can turn into a "respectable" brand if they hide under the carpet that they also have lousy products and try to take down negative reviews from the web, some companies even making threats to the website (this is not the case with Cooler Master, N.B.). Especially Taiwanese/Chinese companies have this lousy mentality.

Cheers,
Gabriel Torres
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:08 AM   #7
marsax73

Join Date Jun 2010
Florida, USA
marsax73 is on a distinguished road

Default Will it work though?

My father just pieced together a pc and he has this PS. It seems to work well..not getting hot after running the pc for a few hours. I read the 400w review of the Cooler Master and it seemed to be favorable except for the ripples. Should I be concerned?

Here's what the PS is powering:
AMD Athlon II X3 440
4 gigs of DDR2 1066 Patriot memory
Gigabyte AMD 785G mobo
2 WD 500 gig SATAII
1 Lite-On DVD Burner
marsax73 is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread