Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Mushkin Volta 600 W Power Supply Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Mushkin Volta 600 W Power Supply Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/910

Here is a snippet:
"Mushkin, a traditional memory manufacturer, decided to also enter on the power supply market. Volta 600 W is a single-rail model that they are going to release next week. Let's see if it will survive ..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 01-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
Merman

Join Date May 2008
Merman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If you pay attention, the modular cabling system has a total of eight connectors, but this power supply comes only seven cables to be used with this system.
Kudos for the modular cables comment. I didn't want to keep complaining but trying to figure out a modular cable system had me re-reading the descriptions, counting the cables described and going to the the unit's home page to understand the system as a whole.

How about also commenting on how many video cards are supported and a close up of the unit's side where the cables plug in for modular units.

I also really like the addition of AC voltage on the Load Tests. You slipped it in at a time I was busy and didn't comment on the additional information. So can I understand that it is common for voltage to decrease as power increases unless there is some power conditioner on the line. Does the PSU design play any roll in the voltage decline???
Merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
actionjksn

Join Date Dec 2009
actionjksn is on a distinguished road

Default Mushkin vs OCZ

I don't know how you figure, that this power supply is about equal to the Stealth xtreme. The OCZ was good for well over 700 watts. This one was shutting down at around 600 watts. To me an extra 135 watts is worth more than modular cabling. Even though I wouldn't actually overload one myself. I have the OCZ 600 watt Game Xtreme myself though I'm not using it right now, it always worked perfectly for me.
Right now I'm using an Antec 1000 watt Quadro. I do have a question for you Gabriel, I was looking at the 12 volt rail output and is says only 18 amps per rail, which I thought seemed kind of low for a 1000 watt. But I was looking at one just like it at Microcenter. It said 25 amps per rail. Does this mean mine isn't very good? Do you know anything about these Antec TPQ 1000 power supply's? I got it for 100 dollars on craigslist. I'm running an EVGA 780 i FTW, Q9550 Intel and GTX275, planing on adding a second GTX 275 and I overclock to 3.2 with my gpu at 700 while gaming. sorry for going so far off topic but I have been wanting to ask you about this for a long time. And I know I can trust your advice. I read most all your power supply articles.

Thanks

Last edited by actionjksn; 01-24-2010 at 09:45 AM.
actionjksn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
SirkoZ

Join Date Sep 2008
SirkoZ is on a distinguished road

When I saw the box/this power supply unopened and then the anemic innards - well - it's good enough if one considers past Topower products, but it's not a 600 watt power supply if it is shutting down at 590W.
With Mushkin, one would expect more - looking only at their logo which implies others are worse than they.
However - looking at past Mushkin power supplies, this one is actually an improvement.
SirkoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
Travis

Join Date May 2008
Travis is on a distinguished road

A Topower is still a Topower, especially an entry-level one being pushed to its highest wattage.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:37 AM   #6
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

The fact that it shuts down at 600W could very well be due to the fact that the 12V line is overloaded by 4A (10%) and the 5Vsb is overloaded by 0.5A (20%)!
To get 600W within specs you'll need to pull more from the 5V and 3.3V lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merman View Post
Does the PSU design play any roll in the voltage decline?
No. It's simply the result of increased voltage drop in the cables (with roughly constant resistance) as the current increases (and load impedance thus decrease).

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjksn View Post
To me an extra 135 watts is worth more than modular cabling.
... I'm running an EVGA 780 i FTW, Q9550 Intel and GTX275, planing on adding a second GTX 275...
So your system might actually use more than 500W when running all out?

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
actionjksn

Join Date Dec 2009
actionjksn is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Olle P;

So your system might actually use [url]http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/system-wattage_8.html#sect0[/url] when running all out?

I read the article in the link.
They didn't factor in overclocking, and we usually have more components installed on our high end gaming systems, or the fact that certain PS components degrade over time, like capacitors. So power supply's loose output capacity each year. I plan to use my oversize power supply for a long time, that's why I keep the dust cleaned out regularly, so it will last, because I hope to make it through at least another major upgrade, which won't be for quite some time. Plus I got it for the price of a good 600 watt unit [100 dollars]. But it was a very interesting article, I will be checking out that site regularly.

Last edited by actionjksn; 01-26-2010 at 10:36 PM.
actionjksn is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread