Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default XFX 850 W Black Edition Power Supply Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: XFX 850 W Black Edition Power Supply Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/808

Here is a snippet:
"XFX, the traditional video card manufacturer, is now entering the power supply arena. Their first release is a high-end 850 W power supply manufactured by Seasonic and based on their award-winning M12..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 09-14-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

I can't understand why this and other PSUs come with both one EPS cable and one 12V ATX cable (the latter even with two connectors here). And that in the fixed cables on a modular board!

How many regular consumer motherboards require the use of more than one of these connectors in the first place? (I can understand if a two CPU server board requires it, but those are rare in the target group.)
As it is now that's at least one redundant fixed cable that has to be tucked away and never used.

I think the perfect combination is to have one fixed cable with two 12V ATX connectors, and then another modular EPS cable available as an option to the modular 6/8-pin PCIe cables. (Servers with two CPUs are not likely to also use two very high end graphics cards.)

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #3
Phaedrus

Join Date Sep 2009
Phaedrus is on a distinguished road

XFX's video cards are a pain in the butt for me because they seem to have a higher failure rate than competing brands, and their RMA service is a PITA, but this looks like a great PSU. SeaSonic is one of my preferred PSU manufacturers, and the M12D series is excellent. I especially like that it's cheaper than the original SeaSonic at retail! Only thing is, why get this for $210 when you can get a Corsair HX850W with modular cables and up to 92% efficiency for $200?
Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
XFX's video cards are a pain in the butt for me because they seem to have a higher failure rate than competing brands, ...
That's strange. A French survey some year ago showed XFX to be no worse than average wrt failure rates.
Another factor to consider is that XFX almost exclusively deliver cars that are factory overclocked, which should provide a slightly lower life expectancy.
Personally I have a XFX GF7800GT that's been in use for a couple of years now, and it's still going strong.

Cheers
Olle
Old 09-26-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
How many regular consumer motherboards require the use of more than one of these connectors in the first place? (I can understand if a two CPU server board requires it, but those are rare in the target group.)
The objective of two EPS12V cables is to allow the installation of motherboards with two CPU sockets. There are only a few very high-end boards with this feature targeted to the extreme enthusiast, like Intel Skulltrail:

http://www.intel.com/products/deskto...s-overview.htm

It is important to notice that this power supply is not targeted to servers, where two CPU sockets has obvious benefits, because servers usually use rack-style cases that require a totally different kind of power supply.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Torres View Post
The objective of two EPS12V cables is to allow the installation of motherboards with two CPU sockets. There are only a few very high-end boards with this feature targeted to the extreme enthusiast, like Intel Skulltrail: ...
Exactly my point! Those extremely few buyers of this PSU (and others like it) that happen to have a dual CPU motherboard should have a modular EPS-cable provided, so that the vast majority of users won't be troubled with that fixed spare cable.

Cheers
Olle
Old 09-28-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

OlleP,

I agree with you. A better idea would be having this second cable available on the modular cabling system instead of permanently attached to the unit.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
anonemus

Join Date Feb 2010
Philippines
anonemus is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Yahoo to anonemus

I really like how hi-res pics are accessible for readers on this site. Viewing the pics for this PSU, I never thought I'd use the word "sexy" and to describe a PSU, but this is really sexy!

Share This Thread