Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Thermaltake Jing CPU Cooler Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Thermaltake Jing CPU Cooler Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...er-Review/1117

Here is a snippet:
"Thermaltake is releasing a new CPU cooler,*called the*Jing,*which has*a tower design, five heatpipes, and two 120 fans. Check it out!The Jing box is made of cardpaper, with no openings or transparent ..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 10-27-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

Page 1: "It looks nice in light gray and green."
A matter of taste. To some it will look ugly...

Page 2: "Note that the fans are not identical. ... they rotate in oposite directions."
That's a matter of definition. Normally you define rotational direction by "as seen from the intake side" in which case these two fans rotate in the very same direction. They're not counter-rotating when mounted on the heatsink.

Generally the heatsink design is so unobstructive that the second fan is of very limited use for cooling efficiency. It just adds noise, weight and cost.

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
Page 2: "Note that the fans are not identical. ... they rotate in oposite directions."
That's a matter of definition. Normally you define rotational direction by "as seen from the intake side" in which case these two fans rotate in the very same direction. They're not counter-rotating when mounted on the heatsink.

Generally the heatsink design is so unobstructive that the second fan is of very limited use for cooling efficiency. It just adds noise, weight and cost.

Cheers
Olle
I changed the text to clarify this. As a matter of fact, this generated a friendly discussion between me and Rafael, but I think we found a way to explain the way the fans work without being technically wrong.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
parsec

Join Date Jul 2010
parsec is on a distinguished road

Well, I'd say HS and Olle are both right. The subtle point is that the intake side (or outlet) of these two fans are different, one fan functions in opposition to the standard fan configuration. Describing the impeller of one fan as mirror imaged is accurate and concise, a good update.

One question, in the comparison chart that includes the fan's speed, you list 850/1300 RPM for the Jing. Is that the range of speeds provided by the fan control, or were the two fans at different speeds? Sorry to nitpick.

Personally, I have never liked manual speed controls on fans used with CPU coolers. IMO, PWM fans provide simple and convenient fan speed control, including automatic response to CPU temperature change. What am I missing here?
parsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
Rafael Coelho
Super Moderator

Join Date Jun 2008
Rafael Coelho is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsec View Post
Well, I'd say HS and Olle are both right. The subtle point is that the intake side (or outlet) of these two fans are different, one fan functions in opposition to the standard fan configuration. Describing the impeller of one fan as mirror imaged is accurate and concise, a good update.

One question, in the comparison chart that includes the fan's speed, you list 850/1300 RPM for the Jing. Is that the range of speeds provided by the fan control, or were the two fans at different speeds? Sorry to nitpick.
It means one fan spins at 850 RPM and the other one at 1300 RPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsec View Post
Personally, I have never liked manual speed controls on fans used with CPU coolers. IMO, PWM fans provide simple and convenient fan speed control, including automatic response to CPU temperature change. What am I missing here?
Well, personally, I agree. But some people prefer manually controlled fans. It's a matter of taste.

Share This Thread