Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Miscellaneous > Content Comments

Old 05-09-2011, 04:55 AM   #11
gic1319

Join Date May 2011
gic1319 is on a distinguished road

I'm quite curious as what to attribute this to. I just did a side by side read through of this review with that of the i5-2500k. Of course the i7 is the clear winner in every aspect other than price, but confusingly video encoding as well.

The i5 running the exact same video files, and I'd assume all settings being equal as the review is a copy/paste listing the same source and target size, is finishing in 1154 seconds vs 1817 on the i7.

The test systems apear nearly identical save for the i5 running on an H67 chipset. But is the video card chosen for the i7 test that much of a bottleneck as to add nearly 50% of the rendering time?
gic1319 is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2011, 06:49 AM   #12
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gic1319 View Post
The test systems apear nearly identical save for the i5 running on an H67 chipset. But is the video card chosen for the i7 test that much of a bottleneck as to add nearly 50% of the rendering time?
This is the result of Quick Sync in action.
With H67 that feature of the IGP, functioning as hardware codec, is available. It's not available with P67.
So the i7 running in software mode, utilising the CPU, can't compete with the i5 running in hardware mode, utilising the IGP.
Had they both used the same H67 motherboard the results should be nearly identical between the two CPUs, since they have the same IGP, whereas there would be an advantage for the i7 on a P67 motherboard.

Cheers
Olle

Last edited by Olle P; 05-09-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread