Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Arctic Cooling Freezer 11 LP CPU Cooler Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Arctic Cooling Freezer 11 LP CPU Cooler Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...er-Review/1183

Here is a snippet:
"This time we've tested a low profile CPU cooler from Arctic Cooling: the Freezer 11 LP. It has two heatpipes and a 92 mm fan. Let's check its performance!Like most Arctic Cooling products, the Freezer..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

I think the test result says this cooler is absolutely great for its intended use!
At full effect it is the 2nd quietest cooler tested, and it is low profile.
Combine that with the $21 price tag and I think it really deserves an award!

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
Rafael Coelho
Super Moderator

Join Date Jun 2008
Rafael Coelho is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
I think the test result says this cooler is absolutely great for its intended use!
At full effect it is the 2nd quietest cooler tested, and it is low profile.
Combine that with the $21 price tag and I think it really deserves an award!

Cheers
Olle
Olle,
It is recommended only for a very specific kind of computer, so it doesn't receive an award by our criteria.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:53 AM   #4
hangfirew8

Join Date Jul 2010
hangfirew8 is on a distinguished road

It's good to see lower priced, heat pipe equipped low profile coolers hitting the market. There have been too few choices of lopro coolers with heat pipes. I just wish the performance were a little better. I don't expect it to be in the Megahelams territory, just better than this. Noise levels are in the right ballpark.

I understand the room versus CPU temp delta being graphed, but I still have a testing methodology issue when some CPU's are tested at 14 and some at 25. The reason is, semiconducters are leakier at higher temperatures, a phenomenon that, at its extremes, can lead to thermal runaway in some semiconductors (not so much on throttled CPU's, obviously).

So, even though the delta is graphed and not the peak CPU temperature, a CPU running at a higher room temperature is going to leak more and produce correspondingly higher temperatures and higher deltas then if it is running cool. The delta methodology is good enough for ironing out small differences, say room temps from 14 to 17C. I think a room temp spread of 14 to 25C is a bit disadvantageous to CPU coolers tested at the higher temperatures.

As a suggestion, it would be nice for the reviewed cooler to be printed on Bold on the table on Page 6.

Despite my methodology nitpick, thanks for a great review Rafael. It is clear that this is not an overclocker's high performance cooler, but the HTPC and silence crowd may still be interested in it, especially at $21.
hangfirew8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
Rafael Coelho
Super Moderator

Join Date Jun 2008

Hangfirew8,
Theoretically, you may be right. The leakage current actually depends on the temperature, so the CPU TDP may depend on it too.
But we ran some tests here, measuring the delta-T in two different days, with room temperatures differing for more than 5 degrees celsius. And the delta-T was the same.
So, even agreeing that a more constant room temperature should be better, we are sure that any difference caused the different room temperature will be inside our error margin.
Anyway, we have changed our cooling lab recently and we didn't solve the air conditioning problem yet, we are working on it.
Thank you for your support and for the criticism, too.

Last edited by Gabriel Torres; 02-01-2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-31-2011, 10:37 PM   #6
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangfirew8 View Post
It's good to see lower priced, heat pipe equipped low profile coolers hitting the market. There have been too few choices of lopro coolers with heat pipes. I just wish the performance were a little better. I don't expect it to be in the Megahelams territory, just better than this. Noise levels are in the right ballpark.
Top of the line is supposed to be Scythe Big Shuriken, revieved here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangfirew8 View Post
As a suggestion, it would be nice for the reviewed cooler to be printed on Bold on the table on Page 6.
The tested cooler is very easy to find once you realise that it is always added at the bottom of the expanding list, but it takes reading a couple of reviews to realise that.

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:39 AM   #7
Rafael Coelho
Super Moderator

Join Date Jun 2008

We reviewed the Scythe Big Shuriken:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...ler-Review/842

Last edited by Gabriel Torres; 02-01-2011 at 02:48 PM.

Share This Thread