Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default SilverStone Raven RV03 Case Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: SilverStone Raven RV03 Case Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...se-Review/1267

Here is a snippet:
"SilverStone created a new chaper in computer case history with its Raven series of cases by rotating the motherboard 90 and making the rear panel of the motherboard to be on the top of the case, rath..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2011, 05:02 AM   #2
Athlonite

Join Date Sep 2010
Athlonite is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Athlonite

I think the guy who designed this went to herp derp university I still prefer my RV02 theres even enough room between front panel and case for 120mm fans because I used an Lian Li EX-33N 3x5.25 HDD expansion bay kit
Athlonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
Mysticode

Join Date May 2011
Mysticode is on a distinguished road

I am a bit upset with the thin plastic issue, and the misshapen bottom airfilters that don't sit flat. Otherwise, I think the other issues mentioned are just superficial, and really do not detract from the overall greatness of this case. Here's hoping to hear what they come out with next.
Mysticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

SilverStone explained us the plastic issue, and it seems that the final product doesn't have this problem:

Quote:
Looking back at the shipping record, it appears the RV03 we have sent to you was a pilot run production unit. Only 10 of these were available and all of them went to reviewers and system customers for sampling. These have weaker plastic that was already corrected in our first mass production batch.
However, the other problems remain, therefore we still can't recommend this case.

Thanks,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
Mysticode

Join Date May 2011
Mysticode is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply Gabriel.

On the HardForum message board, I just learned this from a recent RV03 customer:

"Well, I just bought and setup my own RV03 (No pics yet, coming), and I tell you what that's really my main gripe. I have already broken 2 tabs, one from the top cover, and the ther from one of the "Fan Holders" on the front of the case. The plastic is somewhat thick, but it's def brittle if you get a tab in a bind it will snap off.

Having said this, I simply love the design of this case. It works really well once put together. My advice is if you buy one, to take your time, slow down, get plenty of room when you start taking it apart, in addition on the top cover make sure you do not pull up in such a way you catch 1 tab in a bind by pulling up on just one end, try to keep something of an even pressure and don't yank it off. I have already contacted silverstone, they are going to replace my top cover I hope (They asked me for an invoice copy, after I sent that too them I haven't heard a response that it's going to happen), I haven't contacted them about the tab on that front fan holder where it connects to the HDD cage. I might try doing that tonight, ugh leave it to me to break stuff /facepalm"

Seems like quite a pain, to have to treat this case as a fragile piece of plateware, or else tabs are going to snap off everywhere. Seems to be an issue beyond the 10 they sent out as sample units I would think.
Mysticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
Athlonite

Join Date Sep 2010
Athlonite is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Athlonite

I'll tell you what the Issue is with these case's just as in the case of the RV02 they're made in CHINA heck my RV02 came with an dead HDD LED and the power and reset switches had to be swapped around to work.... It's just cheaply made and not much in the way of QC and then they want to charge the earth for it
Athlonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Thanks Mysticode, this is an important piece of information that only reinforces our opinion of this case.

Gabriel
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread