Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default iPhone 3G Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: iPhone 3G Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/597

Here is a snippet:
"It's a cell phone, GPS locator, camera, and video iPod, all in one. It connects to the Internet via cell network or Wi-Fi. It is a complete personal digital assistant that can access email, calendar, ..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2008, 07:56 AM   #2
ouchast

Join Date May 2008
Europe
ouchast is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We feel the iPhone 3G has some groundbreaking features that others will struggle to imitate.
I thought that was exactly what the iPhone had a lack of, and thus wasn't really a SmartPhone, but I might be wrong. Shouldn't the complete lack of MMS support be added in conclusion under cons?

Anyway, I didn't read through the whole tutorial, so I'm not going to say too much, except that it looks like an OK review. What I do think is weird is that there isn't many reviews on phones at HWS, but you reviewed iPhone? What's a bit odd about that, is that so many other has reviewed it, and it's not really a smart phone regarding the lack of functions. I don't doubt it's userfriendly though.

Edit: You wrote "and video iPod (...) in one". But the case is, that iPod is just a marketing trick for MP3 player. That's true, iPod is just an ordinary mp3 player with very simple look/design. Most other phones at this price has cell phone, GPS locator, camera, and "video iPod" all in one, as well as Wi-Fi support. There simply is nothing revolutinary about this phone. It sounds like the text ha been copied of Apples's webpage or something, sorry to say. Well, I guess this is enough now, as I haven't written anything good about all the other REALLY GOOD stuff you've written here at HWS, because, HWS has some really good articles and tutorials. No doubt about that.
I might sounds like a real bitch here, but that's not what I'm trying to. I'm just a bit skeptic regarding all the hype around the phone. HWS is one of the better HW sites I know about, and I would like it to stay that way

Last edited by ouchast; 08-07-2008 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Minor fix.
ouchast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:10 AM   #3
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouchast View Post
What I do think is weird is that there isn't many reviews on phones at HWS, but you reviewed iPhone?
Hello and thanks for your comments.

Sandy Berger has joined our team of contributors recently and she will be in charge of reviewing cell phones. This is our first cell phone review and more cell phone/smart phone reviews will come out soon.

I'll ask her to reply to your other comments.

Cheers,
Gabriel Torres

Last edited by Gabriel Torres; 08-07-2008 at 08:13 AM.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:20 AM   #4
ouchast

Join Date May 2008
Europe

Ok, I see. I wasn't aware of that.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
Sandy Berger

Join Date Jun 2008
Sandy Berger is on a distinguished road

Default iPhone & MMS

Believe it or not, because of its many features and multi-functionality of the iPhone, I would have had to write twice as much as I did to fully cover everything.

You are right to point out that I did not put the lack of built-in MMS support in the Con list. In retrospect, perhaps I should have listed that, but I didn't because there are already applications that will add that functionality to the iPhone. The one that I've heard of, but haven't yet tried, is called Palringo.

MMS is a useful tool that is much more widely used in Europe right now, but I expect that its use will spread in the U.S. over the next year or two.

I can relate to your nausea at all the hype over the iPhone, yet now that the 2nd generation model is out and has been improved, we wanted to give our website visitors our honest review. As Gabriel stated, we hope to be doing more cell phone reviews and more reviews of other consumer electronic devices in the future.
Sandy Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
ouchast

Join Date May 2008
Europe

Yes, but compared to other smartphones, the iPod's list wouldn't be able to compare.

About MMS, I know there is third-party applications which can be used, but I would still count that as a con. Also, I've heard SMS in general isn't very popular in USA.

One more thing about the iPhone, the camera isn't good at all. SE top model, and the upper Nokia N- class has good cameras if one should compare.

Anyway, good luck on further reviews, looking forward to it
Old 08-09-2008, 07:13 AM   #7
martinm

Join Date Aug 2008
martinm is on a distinguished road

Could you please make a review, comparing the 3G Iphone againt the nokia N95?

I played a couple of times with the previous version of the iphone and my personal opinion is that, besides the edge/hdspa capabilities, the nokia phone had a huge leap ahead this phone.

On the other hand, i believe that iphone touch screen, is simply unique.

Also, no mms capabilities?

here in south america, both Claro and Movistar (vivo in brazil) have anounced that the Iphone will vbe offially launched in the end August.

best wishes from Argentina
Martín
martinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:41 AM   #8
ouchast

Join Date May 2008
Europe

martinm: If you really want a smart phone, go for the Nokia. I wouldn't even consider the iPhone. The touch-screen isn't unique for the iPhone, check out HTC Diamond and Touch Pro.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:13 AM   #9
TopFX

Join Date Oct 2008
TopFX is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up Nokia N95 vs Apple iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouchast View Post
martinm: If you really want a smart phone, go for the Nokia. I wouldn't even consider the iPhone. The touch-screen isn't unique for the iPhone, check out HTC Diamond and Touch Pro.
Well having owned a Nokia N95 for over a year which constantly crashed, locked, and had one of the worst signal receptions I've ever experienced it is the last in a long line of nokia's that I will ever own, it got ebayed !!

I am lucky enough to own a white 16Gb iPhone 3G and I have to say it's the best phone I've ever had, and I can't imagine ever switching to anything else now I've used it for about 3 months.

Ok, so it can't do MMS and the camera isn't great, but then again the N95's camera wasn't fab, it was ok but still not a patch on my normal digital camera with the same Mega-Pixels.

Apart from the aforementioned 2 con's on the iphone, the pro's make it a joy to use, I'm only biased towards it now because I have been lucky enough to use both, seriously anyone considering getting an iPhone 3G, go for it, I've recommended them to friends over the last few months and every single one who has bought one, without exception, has loved it.. can't really say anymore than that, I'm sure the apple bashers will post but I simply speak as I find....
TopFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:33 AM   #10
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Cheers,
Gabriel
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links