Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Coolmax V-500 Power Supply Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Coolmax V-500 Power Supply Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...ly-Review/1366

Here is a snippet:
"The Coolmax V-500 costs only USD 22 at Newegg.com and, therefore, we were very skeptical that it could deliver its labeled wattage, 500 W. Wattage, as we always explain, isn't everything. Let's see th..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 08-22-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
Onus

Join Date Jun 2010
Tennessee, USA
Onus is on a distinguished road

This is a classic example of what I refer to as a chokemax PSU (or PSU-shaped object). If it has "max" in its name, and isn't Enermax, the "max" is a reference to the size of the pyrotechnic display, or to the number and expense of the other parts it will take with it when it dies.
Onus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
bigfatmike

Join Date Aug 2011
bigfatmike is on a distinguished road

What a pleasure to actually read a review of this psu. I don't want to contradict a word of the review, nevertheless, I have owned and used this psu for about 2 years in light duty without any problems - no overclocking, AMD 7850, 4gig ram, 1hdd, 1cd/dvd.

I bought this psu when I needed an inexpensive psu and noticed that a local computer store had been pushing it as their favored low cost psu for months. I figured if they were getting many returns they would have changed to a different model.

Guess I was lucky. Fortunately have upgraded, recently, to a brand and model that has received good reviews, here and other places.

The V-500 now sits at the bottom of the closet, as a backup, waiting for the day when an equipment failure requires that it be returned to service.

I can't say that I would never buy CooMax again. But we don't buy $20 psu's anymore.
bigfatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
Silentbob

Join Date May 2008
Silentbob is on a distinguished road

Well, you weren't loading it much. I also had a crappy PSU (Thermaltake Purepower 680W rev1, which I found out that in reality could only deliver a little over 250W with out going out of spec on ripple and voltages) and that worked just fine when it was not taxed a lot. Up until the day I was stupid enough to add a Radeon X1950 card to my OC'd rig. Anyway, the PSU ended up murdering my mainboard, luckily the graphics card survived. Even for low power rigs I now only use reputable units, my budget days are long since gone.

Last edited by Silentbob; 08-22-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Silentbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:20 PM   #5
Athlonite

Join Date Sep 2010
Athlonite is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Athlonite

Geepers what a piece of crapolla If I were to find this in NZ I'd be reporting it
Athlonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
Onus

Join Date Jun 2010
Tennessee, USA
Onus is on a distinguished road

Well, they actually put up my "review" at Newegg (they don't like URLs, but everyone knows who "Gabriel" is):

1 out of 5 eggs Another PSU-shaped object

Pros: May contain a few usable parts for electronics tinkerers.

Cons: Reviewed today, 08/22, at a competent technical review site. Gabriel found it to be perhaps a 250W PSU. Burned when loaded to 330W. Label has lies all over it. Internal design is an anachronism. Newegg should return any it has to its distributors, demanding a 100% refund.

Other Thoughts: Marketing this as a "500W" PSU can only be described as willful dishonesty. Newegg, please discontinue this junk.
Onus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Onus!!!
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
Geforcefly

Join Date Aug 2011
Geforcefly is on a distinguished road

This is why I avoid cheap overrated PSUs (I think the wattage rating is really the number of Volt-Amps drawing when it blows up) like the plague. The only good parts about them are when they're reviewed and bashed to no end...
Geforcefly is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread