Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Video Card Overclocking

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Video Card Overclocking
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/141

Here's a snippet:
You can increase the gaming performance of your computer by overclocking your video card. Overclocking is a technique that makes a given processor operate at a clock frequency above the standard frequ...

Comments on this article are welcome.
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 11-28-2006, 10:23 AM   #2
zjohnr

Join Date Nov 2006
upstate NY, US
zjohnr is on a distinguished road

Question Can you underclock a Video Card to run it cooler?

I've seen lots of references to overclocking Video Cards. A while ago I saw an article on another hardware site about underclocking your CPU so it could run cooler when you doing things which did not need the extra power.

Is it also possible to underclock a Video Card? For example, when you know you are going to be spending hours just web surfing or watching video or anything else that doesn't use anything but a fraction of the available power of the card.

It would nice to be able to save power and also to run it cooler and not have so much heat generated in the system case.

-john
zjohnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:35 PM   #3
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

Thanks for posting your question.

Yes, you can underclock your video card by following the same instructions (i.e. using PowerStrip). I've done this several times and it works just fine.

Just one explanation, though. Video cards can operate in two modes: 2D and 3D. Some video cards, to run cooler, use different configs when in 2D mode (e.g. surfing on the net, using Word) to save power and to dissipate less heat.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:27 AM   #4
KID

Join Date Aug 2006
KID is on a distinguished road

Default Great tutorial

I have 2 Asus EN7900GTs and use the bundled software{smart doctor}for overclocking.I love to know how these things work though.
Thanks Gabriel
KID is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread