Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Miscellaneous > Content Comments

Old 07-25-2005, 09:00 PM   #11
Uriel_Dagda

Join Date Jul 2005
Uriel_Dagda is on a distinguished road

Well I am using the version of nVDVD that came with my video card, BFG GeForce 6800GT OC...

I just thought my problem was because of the hardware bugs they didnt fix until the 6600s came out.
Uriel_Dagda is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2005, 09:45 PM   #12
ReJeKt

Join Date Jul 2005
ReJeKt is on a distinguished road

Nice article, but I ran into a problem and came up with a workaround that might be of interest to some.

I have a Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS hooked up to a 7.1 speaker system. In order for the Soundblaster to decode Dolby Digital and DTS optimally, you have to set player software to output spdif in waveout mode. Directsound mode causes syncing problems and choppy video.

Unfortunately, Windows Media Player 10 only outputs to Directsound mode with no option to change it. So to enjoy the hardware video decoding, you basically have to sacrifice hardware audio decoding. Nvidia aknowledges this conflict but claims to not be able to do anything about it.

So here's what I did. Using the freeware Media Player Classic, I changed these options: under playback/output/directsound audio, I selected "default waveout device." Under filters/transform filters, I unchecked "mpeg-2 video." Finally, under filters/audio decoders i set AC3 and DTS decoder settings to s/pdif.

Now here's the crazy part. I renamed the Media Player Classic application "mplayer.exe" to "wmplayer.exe," as in the filename of Windows Media Player 10. Now when I fire it up and select open dvd, the nvidia icon comes up just like with wmp10. I did some comparisons and the video and audio are top notch. The only problem is that the video aspect ratio is a little squished, but that's fully adjustable with Media Player Classic.

I hope this helps people with this conflict, or those who just don't like using Windows Media Player 10. It would also be great if nvidia embraced this solution and allowed their decoder to be accessed by applications not necessarily named "wmplayer.exe."
ReJeKt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 11:20 PM   #13
Uriel_Dagda

Join Date Jul 2005
Uriel_Dagda is on a distinguished road

Choppy or corrupted video? When I play DVDs with Media Player 10, it will show part of the picture on top with a bunch of corrupted squares for the rest (kinda like when digital cable screws up). Then after about 5 seconds of playing, Media Player will completely freeze and take up 100% CPU and almost totally lock the computer, and after a minute it closes with Microsoft's "This application has caused an error" message.

I wound up just having to get PowerDVD to play DVDs, and they play just fine on that (without any of the PureVideo enhancements, of course).. but at least it plays!

I did update my video drivers to see if that was the problem.. now I am stuck without a way to lock in refresh rates for certain resolutions (wth did nVidia remove that?!?!)
Uriel_Dagda is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread