Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Corsair AX850W Power Supply Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Corsair AX850W Power Supply Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...ly-Review/1081

Here is a snippet:
"The new Corsair AX power supply series have 80 Plus Gold certification, full modular cabling system, and single +12 V rail, being based on Seasonic's X Series. Seasonic offers 400 W (fanless), 460 W (..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 09-27-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitech View Post
Is there any with +24?
Of course not! 24V is not in the ATX standards and therefore not present!
No somewhat ordinary computer PSU, at all, anywhere in the world, has +24V!

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
parsec

Join Date Jul 2010
parsec is on a distinguished road

Default Comparing AX850 to HX850

As usual, another comprehensive Power Supply review by Hardware Secrets, IMO the best PS reviews on the Internet.

Apparently you did not find the high ripple on the +5VSB that you did on the Corsair HX850, and another Corsair PS as I recall?

Comparing the AX850 to the HX850, most if not all of the electronic components (transistors, etc) and the quantity used varies between the two units, with the AX850 being over-spec'd more often than the HX850, but not in every case (ie, max theoretical +12V power.)

If you check the power ratings on the PS Label of each unit closely, you will find they are slightly different. The measurement results are very close, if not identical, and of particular interest are the efficiency figures, they are virtually identical. The overload test results are also virtually identical, although the power drawn from the +5V and +3.3V rails varies somewhat between the two units. Given margins of error in these tests, it would be difficult to choose the superior unit simply from the graphs.

Any comment regarding their rated and tested 80 PLUS ratings?

Thanks and keep up the good work.
parsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:33 PM   #4
shovenose

Join Date Nov 2010
san rafael, calif, usa
shovenose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
Of course not! 24V is not in the ATX standards and therefore not present!
No somewhat ordinary computer PSU, at all, anywhere in the world, has +24V!

Cheers
Olle
older g4/g5 macs for the apple display connecter, the display ran off of the pc, the psu had a 24v rail
Old 12-13-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsec View Post
Any comment regarding their rated and tested 80 PLUS ratings?
Page 7 of the review...

Quote:
These are good results but since it is an 80 Plus Gold unit, it should present efficiency above 87% at full load. Time and time again we see this happening, because the 80 Plus certification tests are done at a room temperature of only 23 C, while we tested this particular unit at 50 C, and efficiency drops with temperature.

Last edited by Gabriel Torres; 12-15-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:14 PM   #6
parsec

Join Date Jul 2010
parsec is on a distinguished road

Default Thanks, But More Specifically...

... I was asking you to comment on one unit being 80 PLUS Silver, the other 80 PLUS Gold, yet their efficiency measurements were virtually identical. I imagine your reply could be the same, that's fine.

I do believe that testing PS's at a higher ambient temperature than the 80 PLUS rating calls for, is a good thing to do and more realistic regarding actual use.

But testing in that manner does not allow you to verify that the unit passed the 80 PLUS certification testing with the same methodology as Ecos Consulting uses. Or is HWSecrets's methodology so different overall than that of Ecos Consulting that they are not comparable? Or is verifying the 80 PLUS rating simply not one of your goals? I know, see the "Can We Trust the 80 Plus Certification" article. I just thought you'd be more vocal about that point (in more than one article), since you certainly have more guts than most hardware review web sites. To me, that is part of your appeal.

Just read the TX950 review, and your comments on Ecos's choice of testing temperatures, I understand now, you do feel their methodology is flawed, and I would agree. Clearly you see no point in using their methods, I get it. Didn't do my homework...

PS: Sorry to nitpick, but you posted your reply to my first questions by quoting within my second question. No big deal.

Last edited by parsec; 12-13-2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Added comment for clarity.
parsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #7
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But testing in that manner does not allow you to verify that the unit passed the 80 PLUS certification testing with the same methodology as Ecos Consulting uses. Or is HWSecrets's methodology so different overall than that of Ecos Consulting that they are not comparable? Or is verifying the 80 PLUS rating simply not one of your goals? I know, see the "Can We Trust the 80 Plus Certification" article. I just thought you'd be more vocal about that point (in more than one article), since you certainly have more guts than most hardware review web sites. To me, that is part of your appeal.
In theory we could do this, but we don't want. We are not here to validate (for free) what they are doing. We prefer to stick with our own methodoly and give our opinion based on our own findings.

One thing is to write an article exposing what we disagree about therir methodology; another one is to test ALL power supplies using their methology just to see if they lying or not... Plus our own methodology... Needless to say, this would generate a lot of work...

Quote:
Just read the TX950 review, and your comments on Ecos's choice of testing temperatures, I understand now, you do feel their methodology is flawed, and I would agree. Clearly you see no point in using their methods, I get it. Didn't do my homework...
Thanks. Please open new threads when you want to change the subject, this helps a lot other users finding what to read here. Keep your post on the power supply reviews specific to the power supply being reviewed, thanks.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
Naota

Join Date Mar 2011
Naota is on a distinguished road

Great article. When you say the powersupply can do over 1000watts, is that sustainable or a just briefly? Thanks for the great review.
Naota is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread