Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default EVGA Superclock CPU Cooler Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: EVGA Superclock CPU Cooler Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...er-Review/1336

Here is a snippet:
"Today we are reviewing the Superclock, the first CPU cooler from EVGA, a traditional*video card manufacturer. It has a tower heatsink with five heatpipes and a 120 mm fan. Check it out! The EVGA Super..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 07-13-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
Athlonite

Join Date Sep 2010
Athlonite is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Athlonite

DAMN is all I can say this performs very very well indeed
Athlonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
parsec

Join Date Jul 2010
parsec is on a distinguished road

It seems that they've finally got direct touch heat pipe coolers designed correctly, without large gaps between the heat pipes. Plus some innovation in the heat sink fin design, which has been unchanged in most coolers.

According to another review of this cooler, it is identical to the new Swiftech Polaris, although they use different fans.

So two areas of innovation add up to excellent performance, nice!
parsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
wtouristo

Join Date Jan 2011
wtouristo is on a distinguished road

I enjoyed the article, appreciate the price performance a lot. One question, on AMD boards what orientation is possible?
Really wish this was on all heatsink labels.
wtouristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:56 AM   #5
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtouristo View Post
One question, on AMD boards what orientation is possible?
That's easy to see on the base plate. The cooler will be mounted for vertical flow in a regular tower case.

/Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
Weaselsmasher

Join Date Mar 2011
Weaselsmasher is on a distinguished road

I find it interesting that not only does the EVGA cooler beat every other air cooler (and does so very quietly), it also beats one liquid-cooled solution and almost matches the other.

Liquid cooling isn't a magic bullet.

At some point it would be interesting to see how these coolers work with overclocked CPUs. Set a reasonable O/C goal (say, a 2500K at 4.7GHz) and select several coolers, and see whether that goal is attainable with the coolers in question (as well as temperatures and noise). For that comparison, you might also want to add an external cooling system to the mix.

Super-hardcore-bonus for determining maximum stable overclocks with the best air-cooler (currently the EVGA), the best preassembled liquid cooler (currently the Antec Kühler 920) and the best external cooler.

Don't you love how people volunteer you for work?
Weaselsmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
Rafael Coelho
Super Moderator

Join Date Jun 2008
Rafael Coelho is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselsmasher View Post
Don't you love how people volunteer you for work?
Sure, we just love it.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
Weaselsmasher

Join Date Mar 2011
Weaselsmasher is on a distinguished road

Sort of an addendum and a heads-up.

I went with this cooler on my new build, and ran into clearance problems with the heatsinks on my RAM. The problem is that the fan needs to come up about 3-4mm for my particular rig, otherwise the fan is pressing down rather firmly on the nearest DIMM. The issue is that the fan's vibration would vibrate the DIMM in its socket. I could have gotten away with it as-is, but past experience has taught me that "mysterious crashes" would be in my future from time to time.

Rotating the fan to point to the top-vents instead of the back exhaust fan didn't help, as the cooling vanes then pressed against the RAM heatsinks. I had to get creative with the fan mounting. It's fine now, but it added an hour to the build time.

The relevant components in my rig:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (4x 4GB DIMMs, 2 8gb kits)
ASRock Z68 Extreme4 GEN3 motherboard
EVGA M020-00-000234 (the cooler in question)
Antec 300 case

...well, okay, the rest of the rig. EVGA GTX 570, Intel Core i5 2500K, Asus DVD-RW, and a pair of Samsung 1tb hard drives.

But yeah, it's a great, quiet, extremely effective cooler. I don't have any doubts I could get a rock-stable overclock in the 4.5-4.8Ghz region with this beastie.
Weaselsmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #9
Rafael Coelho
Super Moderator

Join Date Jun 2008
Rafael Coelho is on a distinguished road

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselsmasher View Post
Sort of an addendum and a heads-up.

I went with this cooler on my new build, and ran into clearance problems with the heatsinks on my RAM. The problem is that the fan needs to come up about 3-4mm for my particular rig, otherwise the fan is pressing down rather firmly on the nearest DIMM. The issue is that the fan's vibration would vibrate the DIMM in its socket. I could have gotten away with it as-is, but past experience has taught me that "mysterious crashes" would be in my future from time to time.

Rotating the fan to point to the top-vents instead of the back exhaust fan didn't help, as the cooling vanes then pressed against the RAM heatsinks. I had to get creative with the fan mounting. It's fine now, but it added an hour to the build time.

The relevant components in my rig:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (4x 4GB DIMMs, 2 8gb kits)
ASRock Z68 Extreme4 GEN3 motherboard
EVGA M020-00-000234 (the cooler in question)
Antec 300 case

...well, okay, the rest of the rig. EVGA GTX 570, Intel Core i5 2500K, Asus DVD-RW, and a pair of Samsung 1tb hard drives.

But yeah, it's a great, quiet, extremely effective cooler. I don't have any doubts I could get a rock-stable overclock in the 4.5-4.8Ghz region with this beastie.

It would be great to see a picture of your cooler-mod.

Share This Thread