Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Thermaltake SlimX3 CPU Cooler Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Thermaltake SlimX3 CPU Cooler Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...er-Review/1221

Here is a snippet:
"The Thermaltake SlimX3 is, as its name suggests, a low-profile CPU cooler with two heatpipes and an 80-mm fan. Let's*see if it can cool our CPU.The SlimX3 box is very small and simple. You can see it ..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
Athlonite

Join Date Sep 2010
Athlonite is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Athlonite

Hmmm it begs the reason why Thermaltake have have designed an HSF that actually performs worse than the stock Intel HSF so did you do tests at stock speeds to compare to Intels cooler was it better/worse (cooler/quieter) at stock speeds... I can't see this thing selling well if it's an overall worse performer than the stock Intel HSF, why would you bother paying for it
Athlonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:49 AM   #3
hangfirew8

Join Date Jul 2010
hangfirew8 is on a distinguished road

ThermalTake seems to exist to be confused with ThermalRight, the folks who do CPU coolers "right".

There is a market for a well-done ultra small heatpipe blowdown cooler, too bad TT didn't do it right.
hangfirew8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:12 AM   #4
Nian

Join Date Nov 2012
Nian is on a distinguished road

Hi mate, I wanted to ask you a question about your review of the thermaltake x3 slim, because, well, you appear to be the only person to even write about it and as far as I can tell your review slammed it

Yeah I know, it's obviously it's not a good cooler, probably just too small for its own good, the thing is however, it's so small that I am wondering if there's a way to get a better result with it, its just so small it could be super useful in slim cases.

Basically what I am wondering is about the fan, your review said it was running at up to 2750rpm but thermaltake site said it goes up to 2400rpm, did you push the fan a bit? If not, did you try it with a high cfm fan? The thermaltake is only 22.35cfm at 2400rpm. Do you think it would make a difference if a e.g. Nocturna NF-R8 pushing 31.19cfm at 1800rpm was installed? The reason I ask is that my case is extremely space limited and I am hoping that this cooler with a decent fan and paste would be ok.

One other question, did you try some premium paste? The stock paste would have to be terrible wouldn't it?

Any thoughts? I would love to hear you opinion as you seem to have an extensive knowledge base with regards to coolers.
Nian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
Rafael Coelho
Super Moderator

Join Date Jun 2008
Rafael Coelho is on a distinguished road

Hi Niam,
We just tested the cooler with stock characteristics, and the fan were tested at 12 V.
We always test cooler with the stock thermal compound, but the TT compound is not bad at all (it was actually one os the best thermal compounds we tested). You can check our thermal compound roundup here:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...uary-2012/1490
If you have another questions, just ask!
Old 11-05-2012, 04:59 AM   #6
Nian

Join Date Nov 2012

Ok so what about with a high CFM fan?

By the way, on newegg, thermaltake replied to someones complaints, may be interesting for here.

Quote:
The Slim X3 cooler wasn't designed to be "better" than stock. It is a stock replacement for those that need a smaller heatsink to fit in small form factor cases. There are no cpu coolers of this size that are even recommended by anyone to use in an overclocked environment.

Taken directly from the Newegg product page:

"The Slim X3 CPU cooler from Thermaltake provides an efficient CPU cooling solution for building a HTPC on a budget. With an ultra low 36mm profile, it is designed to fit in slim type cases."

The price tag that this cooler has is because of it's slim design to accommodate smaller form factor cases with a cpu that is running at a maximum of 70w TDP.

More from the Newegg Product Page:

" This highly rated cooler will help protect your investment on Intel socket LGA775 or LGA 1156 with support for CPUs up to 75W TDP."
Old 11-05-2012, 05:35 AM   #7
Rafael Coelho
Super Moderator

Join Date Jun 2008

The fan that comes with the cooler has a high rpm already.
There is no free lunch: for high cooling performance, a cooler needs a bigger heatsink.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
Nian

Join Date Nov 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Coelho View Post
The fan that comes with the cooler has a high rpm already.
There is no free lunch: for high cooling performance, a cooler needs a bigger heatsink.
Ah but RPM does not = high CFM

Its all about the CFM as far as I understand it. There must be a significant difference from using a 21cfm fan and a 32cfm fan.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
Rafael Coelho
Super Moderator

Join Date Jun 2008

Yes, you are right. But this cooler is a low profile one. If you can use a bigger fan, you can find a bigger cooler.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #10
Nian

Join Date Nov 2012

At 36mm in height with the fan, its a very low profile cooler, as far as I can find, only the Noctua NH-L9i matched it.

Adding a 25mm fan only adds 10mm to the height, Still under 5cm. And still smaller than the majority of the low profile coolers.

Another thing to remember is that its not just height, Scythe make the Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B, its a fine low profile cooler but its width and depth are too large for the vast majority of microATX motherboards or low profile cases. The x3 Slim is small in all proportions.

This is why I was asking about improving the CFM and see how it goes, there's practically nothing on the market as small as it.

Last edited by Nian; 11-06-2012 at 06:11 PM.
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread