Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default 3R System AK6-500M Power Supply Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: 3R System AK6-500M Power Supply Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...ly-Review/1513

Here is a snippet:
"The AK6 is the latest power supply series from 3R System, offered in two wattages, 500 W and 600 W, with (models ended with "M") or without a modular cabling system. They come with the 80 Plus Bronze ..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Onus

Join Date Jun 2010
Tennessee, USA
Onus is on a distinguished road

A lot of people could live with only three SATA power connectors (SSD boot, HDD data, and an optical drive), but I doubt very much whether having them all on one cable will allow them to reach where they need to go.
Looks like this one is limited to small cases, perhaps even those few mini-ITX able to take a full sized PSU (like the Lian Li PC-Q08).
Maybe that doesn't cost it the Silver, but it sure needs a great big caveat stamped on it...
Onus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

You gave it a silver award with AsiaX caps all over the secondary sode? They are made by the dreaded Fuhjyyu, so you'd be lucky if it lasted 4 years before the ripple goes through the roof and fries your PC.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

This unit is targeted to budget PCs, so it is a good option if you think the market it is targeted to.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia

I don't mean to start an arguement here, but considering that there are other affordable units out there with Chemi-con caps, I'd avoid it like the plague. We've tried using cheap-ish units with Fuhjyyu/AsiaX caps (Namely, lower-end Antec units) at work and it came back to bite big time - every single one died within 3 years, and a few blew up the motherboards.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Thanks for posting your opinions, we always like to hear constructive crticisms in order to improve our reviews.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:26 AM   #7
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onus View Post
A lot of people could live with only three SATA power connectors... but I doubt very much whether having them all on one cable will allow them to reach where they need to go.
I second that opinion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Torres View Post
This unit is targeted to budget PCs, so it is a good option if you think the market it is targeted to.
Budget PCs are often bought at long intervals. Here the capacity quality is crucial!
Higher end users, on the other hand, are more likely to replace their PSU within three years, and so don't really need the high end capacitors...
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:30 AM   #8
shovenose

Join Date Nov 2010
san rafael, calif, usa
shovenose is on a distinguished road

How much did they pay you to give a unit with Fuhjyyu capacitors an award?
Sure, it might be fine now, but down the road it will fail.
Just because it's a "budget" unit doesn't mean it should have the worst components available.
You need to look at the bigger picture when rating power supplies like this, rather than just how good they work in the moment.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia

Agreed. Build quality should be taken into consideration. JonnyGuru and myself both knock points off for things like low quality caps, soldering, and loose screws.

Again, I don't mean to be argumentative here, but from first hand experience, I've found that these things can and do cause problems.

new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread