Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Recovering Dead Motherboards Killed by the CIH Virus

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Recovering Dead Motherboards Killed by the CIH Virus
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/39

Here's a snippet:
CIH virus, also known as Chernobyl or Spacefiller, is one of the fiercest computer viruses that have been created so far. When PC is infected by this virus, it just erases ROM (BIOS) memory contents in its activation date (April 26th), if this memory ...

Comments on this article are welcome.
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 10-02-2006, 01:07 AM   #2
me-me

Join Date Oct 2006
me-me is on a distinguished road

Default Buy a new chip

You can buy a new bios-chip (pre-programmed or not programmed) or a bios-savior chip from http://www.eksitdata.com/

The site is in swedish but if you klick the british flag at the top right of the page it's available in english aswell.

Best regards / Mathias
me-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
PaChuiLanG

Join Date Jun 2010
PaChuiLanG is on a distinguished road

regarding about that virus... i've encountered that my motherboard had no beep errors and no screen display, i've try all the conclusion of the cause to my pc that no display... Can i ask about what u have said that the virus also attacked the hardisk and it will erase the partition and FAT TABLE, i've use my hardisk as a external now and it still working fine sir...

is it my motherboard had been destroy or the bios had been killed by the CIH Virus?
PaChuiLanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
jimtran

Join Date Oct 2010
jimtran is on a distinguished road

Thank you for writing such an informative article. I learned a lot from it.

My motherboard (ASUS M2N-E) recently suffered a power outage and just as the article described, it doesn't display anything on the screen and there are no beep errors. The video card, rams, and cpu had been tested and confirmed to be working. I was wondering if I could use the method described here to try to "revive" my motherboard's bios.

I'm still not sure if it is the bios or the motherboard, but the symptoms described here are exactly what i am observing on my "dead" motherboard.

My motherboard's bios uses the PLCC chip and it is a 4 MB chip. I probably can't put it in a 2 MB bios chip board and try to flash it, right? I want to get everything straight so I don't cause more trouble than what i'm already facing.

Thank you.
jimtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Dear jimtran,

If you weren't upgrading the motherboard BIOS at the time the power outage occured, the trick described in the article won't work, because your motherboard was burned by another condition (power) that has nothing to do with the BIOS.

BTW. Don't forget to install a new power supply in your computer to see if it isn't the power supply that is defective.

This other tutorial may be handy:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...nt-Turn-On/547

Best regards,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
jimtran

Join Date Oct 2010
jimtran is on a distinguished road

Dear Gabriel,

I'm a little confused. So the power outage "killed" my motherboard? it didn't not corrupt or erase the BIOS, right? This is what happened. I remember that day when the power outage occurred, I was able to turn on my computer a few hours afterward and it worked as normal. Later that day, I left it on and went to school for two hours. When I came back, the computer froze. So I pressed the reset button and it has been like this ever since. The computer turns on and stays on and the red LED light lights up and stay that way (usually it blinks). I thought maybe it was the BIOS causing my computer not to boot or POST. I got a different power supply (Ultra V-series 500w) and it is still the same. The CPU and HS fan, Video card, rams, and PSU has been tested and confirmed to be working. So does that mean that only the motherboard got "killed"?

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciated.
jimtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Dear Jimtran,

If you tested all components of your computer on another computer and they were all working fine (including the power supply), this means that the motherboard is defective (burned). Since you were not upgrading your BIOS when the power went down, the motherboard is really burned and should be replaced.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread