Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default iMicro PS-IM400WH Power Supply Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: iMicro PS-IM400WH Power Supply Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...ly-Review/1072

Here is a snippet:
"When we saw this ultra low-end iMicro PS-IM400WH power supply being sold for only USD 12, we couldn't help ourselves. We had to buy it and test it using the same standards we use for evaluating more e..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
Azure

Join Date Mar 2010
Azure is on a distinguished road

Default wonderful review.

One day, I want to see something like this. I saw several explosion videos by cheap PSUs, but that does not occur if there is proper overcurrent protection.
(usually cheap PSU doesn't have it, though)

In fact, some people who want to build cheap computer without VGA uses those kinds of power. so I just want to know what is going to happen on their computer.

It sounds like ultra-low end PSUs can handle only about 50% of its written output, and 75% of output is dead-line.

and ripple & noise is terrible
(+3.3V is voltage for motherboard; it is the cause of killing motherboard capacitors)
efficiency sounds OK, over 70% is fine, considering price.
voltage regulation works ok under 200w, but over 200w isn't.

That is enough reason to not buy those PSUs
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

First the name: One would expect the designation iMicro will have Apple's lawyers breath down your neck...

Obviously this PSU is a pretty old design.
The assortment of cables and connectors are fine for a computer built when SATA drives were hardly available. The short length of the cables also means you can add adapters without having surplus cable to hide away.
I also don't consider Radeon HD5750 to be "ultra low end" (as implied by "not requiring a separate power feed").

Now for the test results:
I'm very curious how well this PSU perform under more optimised conditions.
* 230V AC power line should increase the maximum power (higher voltage past the primary rectifier), help efficiency and some other parameters.
* Load distribution better mimicking a computer of same age as the PSU design; about equal current draw on 12V, 5V and 3.3V, instead of 12V heavy.
* Not quite as hot air feed.

It will probably still be a piece of garbage, but at least we'd know how well it can do under the conditions it's designed for.

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread