Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Miscellaneous > Content Comments

Old 01-31-2012, 02:07 AM   #11
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe View Post
Specific issues exist, yes. If you look at it that way, then all Teapo's would be garbage since they had issues some 10 years ago. Toshin's are great caps for SMPS usage. Look at the Topower units that used them, they can last for a long long time.

As for Teapo's... well, then again it depends on the unit in question. Obviously Teapo's on a ****ty PSU = / = Teapo's on a Turbo-Cool.

I agree on Jap caps, but they're after your money, not your hardware. Just look at all those Creative cards with cheap Chinese Jamicon's. Now those are **** caps, not Teapo's. I tell people to stay away from them all the time, but who listens? They just want something that works. And when it fails, they RMA it then get an another one to fail again... it's not something we can do about.
I can understand where you're coming from and I realise that the design of a power supply has a lot to do with the life of the caps. However, when I buy a product, I want top notch quality and for a power supply, I want it to see me through my next few Motherboard/CPU/GPU upgrades, and nothing with teapo or any junk brand of cap will do that. I just don't think it's worth saving 50c on parts when it could shorten the lifespan. If the manufacturer is really that desparate for 50c, I'm more than happy to pay an extra 50c for the product.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 01-31-2012, 02:21 AM   #12
johndoe

Join Date Jan 2012
johndoe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.hegge View Post
I want it to see me through my next few Motherboard/CPU/GPU upgrades, and nothing with teapo or any junk brand of cap will do that.
I had an Olympia 800 with Teapo's; it's gone through hell (HD 2900 CF OC, TEC and a SCSI chain) and still works to this date after 3 years (like in it's first day). I've also had an old Topower with Asia-X (subsidiary of fuhujihujihuyu but better) and it's been going for the past 7 years. So no, that's not how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.hegge View Post
I just don't think it's worth saving 50c on parts when it could shorten the lifespan. If the manufacturer is really that desparate for 50c, I'm more than happy to pay an extra 50c for the product.
50c more per unit costs thousands of times more on a large scale... which is why they do it.
johndoe is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread