Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Default Installing Frontal Audio Plugs

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Installing Frontal Audio Plugs
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/93

Here's a snippet:
The most sophisticated cases, besides having frontal USB ports as we saw last week, also have plugs for microphone (mic in) and loudspeakers (or ear phones), a feature makes installing a microphone or...

Comments on this article are welcome.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 04-09-2006, 08:32 AM   #2
Grantly

Join Date Apr 2006
Grantly is on a distinguished road

Default Can you buy front audio mods?

Liked the article, thought you may be able to help with my question above...

I just upgraded my pc and one thing I didn't ask for and thus overlooked wsa front audio plug. Thus I was hoping to mod my box slightly with some plugs that I bought if that is possible.

Thanks for any help...
Grantly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:47 PM   #3
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Hi there,

Yes, this can be done if you master a soldering iron. You will need to buy:

- one 3.5 mm stereo mini-jack for headphones

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...oductId=297035

- one 3.5 mm mono mini-jack for mic in

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...oductId=281834

- Wires. For better audio quality I suggest you to use coaxial cables. If you go for coax, you will need 2 feet of stereo and 2 feet of mono. If you go for regular wires, you will need 4 feet of black wire (for ground), 2 feet of pink wire (for mic), 2 feet of yellow wire (headphone right channel) and 2 feet of green wire (headphone left channel).

- Pins:

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...oductId=100765

Then just follow the tutorial to connect them on the motherboard.

Good luck!

PS: Actually you gave us a great idea for a how-to tutorial.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:15 PM   #4
Grantly

Join Date Apr 2006
Grantly is on a distinguished road

Default Thanks Gabriel

Whoa... we are getting serious... actually building it from scratch... I will use this as a last option, prefer to just buy pre-made ones if they can be purchased and then install... I will keep an eye on your site for the tutorial and thaks for the swift reply.

Regards Grantly
Grantly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
jack

Join Date Dec 2009
jack is on a distinguished road

Question ECS GeForce6100PM-M2 Front Panel Audio

hello,

i am trying to get Front Panel Audio Connectors to work in my computer case but i am Very Confused! Please Help!

Front Panel audio connector in my computer case are
1-GND
2-Mic In
3-Mic Base
4-R IN
5-R out
6-L IN
7-L out

Motherboard Front Panel Audio Connectors
Model: GeForce6100PM-M2
Serial Number: V09213E84102913

F_AUDIO: Front Panel Audio header
This header allows the user to install auxiliary front-oriented microphone and lineout ports for easier access. Pin Signal Name Function

1 PORT 1L
2 AUD_GND
3 PORT 1R
4 PRESENCE#
5 PORT 2R
6 SENSE1_RETURN
7 SENSE_SEND 8 KEY
Pin Signal Name
9 PORT 2L
10 SENSE2_RETURN

can someone tell me which cable connect to which pin in simple English please

I have been trying google search and everything but nothing working . Manual instructions are not clear nor it is in a simple format to understand

Please replay back to me so i can get Front Panel Audio working i tried two different cases and no luck so far

Thank you very much
jack
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
jack

Join Date Dec 2009
jack is on a distinguished road

Default Answer

Hello,

I found the answer for it

01 Port 1L (aka Mic L -)
[Analog Mic In]

02 Ground
[Analog ground 1]

03 Port 1R (aka stereo Mic R -)

[Analog Mic BIAS]

04 Presence (for special HDAudio dongles)

[Analog ground 2]

(not used in your situation)

05 Port 2R (Speaker/R -)

[Analog R Out]

06 SENSE1_RETURN (Speaker/R +)

[Analog R In]

07 SENSE_SEND

[Analog +5v]

Used by some MB controllers to detect when

front panel audio is in use
(not used in your situation)

08 KEY (no connector)

09 Port 2L (Speaker/L -)

[Analog L Out]

10 SENSE2_RETURN (Speaker/L +)

[Analog L In]

I hope this entry will help others who have issue connecting front panel in ecs motherboards
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
sandaru

Join Date Aug 2010
sandaru is on a distinguished road

in my motherboard catalog

HD front panel audio

3rd is for MIC2_R

AC'97 front panel audio

3rd is for MIC Power
sandaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:03 AM   #8
Hartismere

Join Date Jun 2012
Hartismere is on a distinguished road

Jack, I know this thread is old, but I've just found it; June 2012, so it's worth expanding. Thanks, too, for returning to supply the information you discovered, doing that is much appreciated, but, sadly, often overlooked by questioners.

If you ever get back to this thread...

What you didn't add was how you then proceeded. I have no information anywhere about my plug's specs. I'll use yours initially, as I assume most cases will be similar, before I get the multimeter out. However, my plug is a single, solid unit. Is yours, and so what did you physically do to rearrange the leads? If you did, of course.

Thanks.

Obviously, anyone else subsequently reading this, with any suggestions, is most welcome to add advice.
Hartismere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

We have a tutorial on this: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/93
Old 06-07-2012, 02:20 AM   #10
Hartismere

Join Date Jun 2012
Hartismere is on a distinguished road

Default Further and failure

Thanks for that Gabriel. Sadly it wouldn't have helped me as my plug was a single block of 10, as distinct from the helpful individual connectors displayed in the tutorial.

Further to my last post. More information. I've repeated the previous poster's, Jack, connection information for clarity and easy comparison. Whereas this post may appear specific to one motherboard, I suspect the problems encountered are common to many other motherboards, so input concerning others may be useful.

Motherboard Front Panel Audio Connectors. GeForce6100PM-M2 motherboard, and all(?) ECS motherboards (As supplied by Jack).

01 Port 1L (aka Mic L -) [Analog Mic In]
02 Ground [Analog ground 1]
03 Port 1R (aka stereo Mic R -) [Analog Mic BIAS]
04 Presence (for special HDAudio dongles) [Analog ground 2]
05 Port 2R (Speaker/R -) [Analog R Out]
06 SENSE1_RETURN (Speaker/R +) [Analog R In]
07 SENSE_SEND [Analog +5v] Used by some MB controllers to detect when front panel audio is in use
08 KEY (no connector)
09 Port 2L (Speaker/L -) [Analog L Out]
10 SENSE2_RETURN (Speaker/L +) [Analog L In]

Jack's Case connector fly-lead details. Doesn't state format of connector(s); whether single block like mine, or invidual connectors.

1-GND
2-Mic In
3-Mic Base
4-R IN
5-R out
6-L IN
7-L out

Mine: My front panel fly lead was a single block of connectors.
(A post elsewhere in this forum by James12344, http://forums.hardwaresecrets.com/he...ing-front/7642 offers a photograph of his lead which is split into individual and paired connectors.)
Microphone details are minimal as I could only poke the probe around inside the socket and listen for a tone, and not recognise individual connections.

Pin - Cable colour - Discovered function using a multimeter

1 - Red - Microphone.
2 - Black - Speaker and microphone Ground.
3 - Orange - Another microphone connection.
4 - No connection.
5 - White - Left speaker out.
6 - White - Piggy-backed link with 5.
7 - No connection.
8 - No connection.
9 - Blue - Right speaker out.
10 - Blue - Piggy-back link with 9.

Only 5 cables came from the front panel. Of the total 7 used connections, 2 were piggy-backed. I have no idea why left and right speaker outs had piggy-backed cables, or to which other pins they could be connected. I broke the connector apart to release all connectors individually - I've done this before, and managed not to cut any cables.

I made the only connections I was interested in - Speaker/headphones Out, but then was unable to remove the headphone jack plug I was using to test the connections, and it finally broke off, and is still stuck inside the socket. So unable to confirm other than by multimeter. That was that, then. My only choice was to remove the panel, and snip off all audio connector leads to ensure avoiding short circuits. Bit of a failure, really. I only wanted the front panel headphone connectors to work because of the ridiculously short leads that come with many headphones; but then that's probably deliberate to force us to buy extension leads. The two adjacent USB ports are still OK.

So, If using the front panel is important to you, don't buy a case until you know the motherboard's front panel audio connector configuration. Don't buy a case where the audio connector is a single block of 10 - ever, unless you are absolutely certain they match. Don't buy a cheap case - that might grip a jack plug so hard that removal is impossible. And, assume nothing. Out of the three people posting or mentioned here, plus the tutorial, all connectors had different configurations. I find it particularly odd that the manufacturer of my case chose a single block of connectors, guaranteeing massive problems if its layout didn't match the motherboard's. Equally strange was that the "key" pin (no hole in the block, no pin on the motherboard connector block) matched up. So they were obviously following some percieved common configuration - but what? Oh for standardisation.
Hartismere is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread