Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Miscellaneous > Content Comments

Old 09-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #1
Hardware Secrets Team
Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Which is The Best Position for a Tower CPU Cooler?

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Which is The Best Position for a Tower CPU Cooler?
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...PU-Cooler/1815

Here is a snippet:
"Which is the best position to install a tower CPU cooler: with the fan facing the front of the case, or rotated in 90 degrees, with the fan facing the video card? Let's find out!
It is common sense t..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2013, 06:51 AM   #2
JohnHind

Join Date Aug 2009
JohnHind is on a distinguished road

It would be clearer if you said "fan facing up" rather than "fan facing down", and "fan facing the rear of the case" - I visualize a fan as "facing" the direction in which it blows air.

I would be interested in the result with the fan blowing from the "front" to the "rear" of the case, but with the entire case rotated 90 degrees and sitting on its "front" face (blocked up if necessary to give airflow clearance). This has always seemed to me to be the logical arrangement, and several specialized Silverstone cases support it. It has the advantage of convective assistance to the airflow without the disadvantage of having the graphics card obstructing that airflow.

Last edited by JohnHind; 09-02-2013 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Clarity
JohnHind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #3
Athlonite

Join Date Sep 2010
Athlonite is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Athlonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHind View Post
It would be clearer if you said "fan facing up" rather than "fan facing down", and "fan facing the rear of the case" - I visualize a fan as "facing" the direction in which it blows air.

I would be interested in the result with the fan blowing from the "front" to the "rear" of the case, but with the entire case rotated 90 degrees and sitting on its "front" face (blocked up if necessary to give airflow clearance). This has always seemed to me to be the logical arrangement, and several specialized Silverstone cases support it. It has the advantage of convective assistance to the airflow without the disadvantage of having the graphics card obstructing that airflow.
one reason I bought an RV02 cold air come in trough the bottom and goes up all hot air goes up and out through the top works really well to both my HD7850's @ 1000/1300 and an mildly OC'd PII 965 barely get warm when folding
Athlonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:39 AM   #4
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

I have my CPU cooler rotated 90 degrees, but that's because of my ghetto fan mod. With the cardboard duct installed, the 230mm top case fan acts as the CPU fan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	h644u.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	439  

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:39 AM   #5
JohnHind

Join Date Aug 2009
JohnHind is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlonite View Post
one reason I bought an RV02 cold air come in trough the bottom and goes up all hot air goes up and out through the top works really well to both my HD7850's @ 1000/1300 and an mildly OC'd PII 965 barely get warm when folding
Yes, I have an FT02 which I modified to put three vertical 5.25" bays fronting at the top of the case rather than the supplied five in a conventional horizontal orientation. As well as vastly improved airflow, this configuration means all access is at the top of the case which is much more ergonomic when the case is on the floor beside your desk. I had to use a laptop DVD drive with the tray popping up like a toaster - unconventional, but works fine!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ft02.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	440  

Last edited by JohnHind; 09-03-2013 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Added Image
JohnHind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
Athlonite

Join Date Sep 2010
Athlonite is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Athlonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHind View Post
Yes, I have an FT02 which I modified to put three vertical 5.25" bays fronting at the top of the case rather than the supplied five in a conventional horizontal orientation. As well as vastly improved airflow, this configuration means all access is at the top of the case which is much more ergonomic when the case is on the floor beside your desk. I had to use a laptop DVD drive with the tray popping up like a toaster - unconventional, but works fine!
As long as it works for you then it's all good slightly ghetto but functional
Athlonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
zreamland

Join Date Sep 2013
Ilsan, Korea
zreamland is on a distinguished road

Can I translate this article and post on below website?
http://www.coolenjoy.net/
zreamland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zreamland View Post
Can I translate this article and post on below website?
http://www.coolenjoy.net/
Sorry, for copyright issues we don't allow this. Thanks for asking.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
programmargorp

Join Date Sep 2013
programmargorp is on a distinguished road

Considering changing my ETS-T40 to blowing up, but do you have anything to say if there was a GPU that pumps out quite a bit of heat in there as well?
Kind of concerned about the CPU Cooler sucking in the hot air produced by the GPU when both are loaded, leading to higher temperatures.
programmargorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:19 AM   #10
Rafael Coelho
Super Moderator

Join Date Jun 2008
Rafael Coelho is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by programmargorp View Post
Considering changing my ETS-T40 to blowing up, but do you have anything to say if there was a GPU that pumps out quite a bit of heat in there as well?
Kind of concerned about the CPU Cooler sucking in the hot air produced by the GPU when both are loaded, leading to higher temperatures.
The hot air from the video card will go to the CPU cooler anyway. It will not be worst.

Share This Thread