Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Young Year YP-AB Transparent Power Supply

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Young Year YP-AB Transparent Power Supply
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/413

Here is a snippet:
"Young Year YP-AB, which is also sold under Aspire and Apevia brands, is an aluminum power supply with a big transparent acrylic cover, so you can see inside the power supply, being a very interesting ..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 01-15-2007, 10:45 PM   #2
newchemicals

Join Date Jan 2007
Los Angeles, CA
newchemicals is on a distinguished road

I have that PSU! An Aspire ATX-AS500W. After reading this I pulled it out of my system. Ew!

At a quick glance it looks the same, but a closer inspection and things are in fact different inside. Well, I don't plan to disassemble my unit but it does tell me that I am glad I live in the US and glad we have safety laws.
newchemicals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:10 AM   #3
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

LOL... Well what maybe is different is that the components that are missing on our model were present on yours. But, believe me, the difference is only on the filtering stage.

I also just found out that this same model is sold in Europe with passive PFC and also with the "complete" filtering stage (still missing the MOV though):

http://www.planet3dnow.de/artikel/ha...35nts/33.shtml

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:47 PM   #4
newchemicals

Join Date Jan 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Here is a pic on my PSU.

It looks very close to the unit you had before.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:45 AM   #5
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Wow, thanks for the pictures, man!

From what I see, you PSU is exactly the same to the one we reviewed, also missing the X capacitor and the second ferrite coil on the filtering stage! The only difference is that you PSU is black and ours is blue...

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:49 PM   #6
newchemicals

Join Date Jan 2007
Los Angeles, CA

I thought it over, since the Leadership model you tested isn't sold in the US, its doubtful it would pass even the most minimal standards the US government would say is ok. Given how easy it is to get a class action lawsuit I doubt this is something sold in the US. Any company selling something in the US would have to pass better safety standards or go broke very quickly.

So, until you actually test a real, sold in the US model I just don't believe this really has ANY merit. I have seen several other PSU with similar guts to mine (while not as colorful) and they do quite fine. If they would choke at 150W then its likely whoever would be testing them would notice.

This smells of work from Hacks like Jayson Blair.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:39 AM   #7
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Hi man,

Thanks for you feedback. You are right about the US market and I took a look on a model that isn't sold in the USA. I'll try not doing that next time.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:21 PM   #8
newchemicals

Join Date Jan 2007
Los Angeles, CA

You do excellent reviews, I don't doubt that this PSU is most likely a piece of turd. I'm sure it could run at about 80% and be perfectly fine. The last 20% and it probably chokes. However, that's good enough to pass most of the safely tests they do in the US. It probably just barely passes any efficiency tests too. Its not going to go back into any of my PCs unless I need a "temp" PSU in which case its probably good enough to hold me until I can get a replacement in the mail.

Keep up the good work! Thank you for your patience on the matter.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:07 PM   #9
BoomerD

Join Date Aug 2007
BoomerD is on a distinguished road

Default Young Year YP-AB Transparent Power Supply

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/413
Thanks for the review. It confirms what I always suspected...that my PSU is a pile of ****...it's slated for replacement, but reading that review gives me more incentive to get it done.

This morning, I hooked up a multi-meter to one of the molex connectors, then ran 2 instances of ORTHOS. The meter showed the 12 volt rail at about 11.40-11.45v. THEN, I fired up rthdribl to add the video card to the load. WOW...the system didn't like that! The 12 volt rail dropped to about 11.30 (actually hit 11.28 for a second, then bounced back to 11.30-11.32) After less than 1 minute, the graphics card (Visiontek X858XT-PE AGP) had had enough, and started spewing pixelated garbage...

Most likely, I'll be replacing this POS with a Corsair HX 620, even though it's actually overkill for my system. My thoughts are that it will allow me to upgrade the system next year with out having to replace the power supply...again.
Maybe I should send this POS to Jonny Guru for testing...I'd be interested in seeing how long it took before it turned into a fireball...
BoomerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 03:48 AM   #10
didyman

Join Date Dec 2007
Hungary
didyman is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to didyman Send a message via MSN to didyman Send a message via Skype™ to didyman

You have missed some basic mistakes during review.

Let's begin ith the first: The J101. J means Jumper, or let's say a piece of wire. Instead of this wire, there is a component, so it must conduct briefly. You named it as capacitor and telling us it's connected in series with the AC line. A capacitor wich is sized as like this and connected in series with a 50Hz AC-line, will never able to conduct as much, as a power suplly needs of this kind. Let's say, this capacitor isn't a capacitor. It is the "missing" thermistor You mentioned later. Just see its green housing. And then You may understand, why the position TH101 is wired.

About efficiency and transistors. You told us that early AT designs were used such kind of controller. It's simply not true. You can easily find examples of Macron, Enermax, ToPower supplies with the same 494-based design, with the same transistor-driven primary stage and what more: Do You remember the Chieftec HPC series of PSU? They mostly have 2SC2625. And their efficiency isnt' as bad (allright, they are using an advanced controller, but it's the same 494 base). The efficiency 50-60% You stated simply too worse and it's not really depends on primary switches, the secondary rectifiers takes the crown for it. The primary elements will take up the current needed for opening them, wich is described as their H21 parameters, or Beta. After a simple view in 2SC2625's database, it's easy to realize the controlling of these devices requires less than You may think: For sinking the maximum rated 10A, they will need about 4,5W and we use just the fraction of it.. Perhaps, we have some capacitances to charge and discharge in the semiconductor's PN stages-wich is also a very big problem with FETs, so its right they need almost zero current to hold their opened stage, but in switchmode we have a small, but not meaningless capacitance to charge-discharge rapidly after and after, so controlling a FET with high frequencies will also require big currents, this is the reason why they need high current driving in these situations! The using of FET is also a well choice taking up efficiency on the board, but they have much more benefits over pure bipolar ones (as have some lacks too!), and using of Shottky diodes and in paralel instead of normal ones counts much more in the play of efficiency!

So, its right, these PSUs are joke, but without these very basic knowledge is a big mistake to judge these devices too!
Good work.
didyman is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread