Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Miscellaneous > Content Comments

Old 03-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
Hardware Secrets Team
Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default How Much Power Can a Generic 500 W Power Supply Really Deliver?

There has been a new article posted.

Title: How Much Power Can a Generic 500 W Power Supply Really Deliver?
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/534

Here is a snippet:
"We decided to take a generic 500 W power supply and test it using the same methodology we use for "branded" units. The idea behind this review is to be as much educational as possible and answer a few..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
reidy-

Join Date Dec 2006
reidy- is on a distinguished road

very nice article,

one improvement I'd like to see is when illustrating the differnces between a high quality and a low quality PSU, It might be an idea to provide an image to compair the two such as when measuring the noise have the low quality image next to a high quality PSU's graph
reidy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Hi Reidy,

Excellent suggestion! I've updated the review to do what you suggested. Take a look on page 5 from the review.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:25 PM   #4
Bart

Join Date Sep 2006
Bart is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Generic power supplies use wires thinner than necessary, usually 20 AWG. The minimum required for today’s standards is 18 AWG. Also generic power supplies come with fewer cables than “branded” units.
Thinner and fewer cables. Shorter too.
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:31 PM   #5
Bill Tayson

Join Date Apr 2008
Bill Tayson is on a distinguished road

I knew.
With Gabriel Torres I have sure.
I'll never buy this P.S
Bill Tayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
Phaedrus

Join Date Sep 2009
Phaedrus is on a distinguished road

Linkworld is still selling this piece of garbage. I recently acquired the 430W version to compare to an Antec Earthwatts EA430 (SeaSonic S12II) I have lying around. It is every bit as much garbage as yours, though I think it actually has one or two more caps on the secondary (Fuhjyyu and "Vent" on the secondary, Canicon on the primary). There is one change; they replaced the monitor connector with a voltage selector switch and power switch, nice of them. But they didn't bother to change the picture on the box, so that still shows the version you have.

I'm going to have fun bashing this to pieces with a pickaxe.
Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
Phaedrus

Join Date Sep 2009
Phaedrus is on a distinguished road

The transient filter is almost non-existent, just the same two Y-capacitors your sample had. No coils, MOV, or X-capacitors.

It has two pairs of diodes, one pair rated at 3A (IN5406), the other pair smaller and presumably rated at 1.5A. Assuming 80% efficiency (very generous) that means this 430W PSU can only do 276W before these parts burn. Lovely.

The primary capacitors are from Canicon.

There's a C2057S transistor, presumably for the +5VSB. There's also two STD13007 transistors for the main switching.

The PWM controller is an AT2005A.

The main transformer is extremely anemic for a 430W unit, and the +5VSB and presumably the isolation transformers are quite small as well.

The secondary has an SBL2045CT, F12C20C, and S10C40C.

All secondary caps appear to be from Fuhjyyu.

The soldering is extremely sloppy, with loose component leads poking through everywhere, shorts waiting to happen, and their solder mask is no good either.

All output wires are 20AWG, internal fan wire is 22AWG, main power wires were 18AWG.

The fuse, which seems like a fairly idiotic fakery of "protection" is soldered into place, making replacement unfeasible, meaning that it is completely pointless.

Wow this power supply sucks.
Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread