Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Huntkey Green Star 550 W (LW-6550SG) Power Supply Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Huntkey Green Star 550 W Power Supply Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/668

Here is a snippet:
"If you follow closely our power supply reviews you know that two models we reviewed from Huntkey Green Power series – 400 W, sold in the US as Dynex 400 W, and 450 W - exploded..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com

Last edited by Gabriel Torres; 12-29-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 12-09-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
Travis

Join Date May 2008
Travis is on a distinguished road

Again Huntkey is playing their peak-rating game. Now that they publish their continuous rating on website, I'm still interested in what it's like under the true continuous rated output.

Obviously Huntkey is still cheating their customers, European, Brazilian and Indian, I think. In those area market is so immature that customers are easily cheated by "cheap and a lot of power" units.

SG6105 integrates PWM controll and monitor functions. It's also the PWM controller chip of the primary side.

As for the efficiency numbers... is that true??

btw: are you still going to purchase more Huntkey units and explode them under "maximum" load?

Last edited by Travis; 12-09-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:52 AM   #3
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
btw: are you still going to purchase more Huntkey units and explode them under "maximum" load?
Yes, of course!!!!
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:43 AM   #4
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Default Correction

12/10/2008:
When we posted this review yesterday we listed this power supply as being a Green Power/Green Star model. This was a mistake. This power supply is actually a V-Power model. The confusion was generated by the part number used by this power supply, LW-6550SG. The Green Star 450 W we reviewed had a part number following the same encoding, LW-6450SG, and thus we assumed both models were from the same family. To complicate the problem even further, V-Power 450 W is called LW-6450HG and Green Star 350 W is called LW-6350HG. So in fact there is no logic. Go figure.

12/29/2008:
Forget it. It is really a Green Star.

There was a lot of confusion about correctly identifying this power supply. First we thought it was a Green Star model. Then we found out that it had the same part number from the Huntkey V-Power 550 W unit (LW-6550SG) and since Huntkey does not list Green Star products on their website anymore we though we were then facing a V-Power model, so we changed the text to say that this unit was in fact a V-Power model. Then with the help of our reader Travis Chen we could finally correctly id this unit and it is in fact a member of the Green Star series, as you can check here. What kind of company labels different products with the same part number? We've got an e-mail from Huntkey accusing us of reviewing a "fake" unit, since the label from the model we reviewed doesn't have "V-Power" written on it. Funny enough the label from the V-Power 550 W unit posted on their website also doesn't have "V-Power" written on it. Once again, how could we correctly identify this unit if on its label there is no mention to its series, only the "LW-6550SG" part number, which is used by two different products? This makes us speculate that Green Star 550 W and V-Power 550 W are internally the same product (we don't see any other reason a manufacturer using the same part number on two different products). We are going to buy a V-Power 550 W model to review it and clarify this issue. The only real difference we could see between Green Star 550 W and V-Power 550 W labels was the current limit for +12V1, 16 A on Green Star and 18 A on V-Power. Since the unit we reviewed had "16 A" for +12V1 on its label we get the information that we were in fact facing a Green Star unit, not a V-Power one. Another smaller difference was the presence of only two SATA power plugs on the reviewed unit, while V-Power has four of them. Here I ask my most sincere apologies to all our readers, but, once again, we don't have a crystal ball and the manufacturer doesn't help by naming different products using the same name. If we got confused imagine you, a normal user.

By the way, the naming scheme Huntkey uses work like this. "SG" means 140-mm fan and "HG" means 120-mm fan. When the model has a passive PFC circuit then a "P" is added at the end. So an LW-6550HG would be the same unit with a 120-mm fan, and an LW-6550SGP would be the same reviewed unit with passive PFC.

Last edited by Gabriel Torres; 12-29-2008 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Added new correction.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:09 PM   #5
Travis

Join Date May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Torres View Post
When we posted this review yesterday we listed this power supply as being a Green Power/Green Star model. This was a mistake. This power supply is actually a V-Power model. The confusion was generated by the part number used by this power supply, LW-6550SG.
I don't think you really made a mistake.

V-Power 550 page:
http://www.huntkeydiy.com/ProductsPa...1aa4a0e3ba001e
http://www.huntkey.com/eng/productmore.asp?id=798
+3.3V&+5V total output not exceed 130W Maximum combined current for the +12V outputs shall be 33A
That's far different from the sticker.

Green Power 550 page:
http://www.huntkeydiy.com/ProductsPa...1de238368c000a
http://www.huntkey.com/eng/productmore.asp?id=893#

5V and 3.3V current ratings still don't match the sticker.

So even Huntkey itself can't tell exactly what it is.

btw: Don't you think the efficiency numbers are amazingly high?
Old 12-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #6
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

This probably shows the quality of their products... They don't even know the exact specs from their products!

Yes, efficiency was high... For a 380 W product... LOL

Gabriel.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:25 PM   #7
Travis

Join Date May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Torres View Post
This probably shows the quality of their products... They don't even know the exact specs from their products!

Yes, efficiency was high... For a 380 W product... LOL

Gabriel.
I have a feeling that you've got an even older version, maybe ATX12V 2.0. It's neither Green Power nor V-Power.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:04 AM   #8
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Here is a link to the distributor website in Brazil where I bought it:
http://www.handasolution.com.br/prod...G/default.html

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:42 PM   #9
Ughadoo

Join Date Oct 2008
Ughadoo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I have a feeling that you've got an even older version, maybe ATX12V 2.0. It's neither Green Power nor V-Power.
Travis / Gabriel,

I have some HuntKey datasheets from 2007; that LW-6550SG seems to be a Green Star 550W with 14cm fan (there was also a version called LW-6550HG with 12cm fan in same datasheet). The V-Power 550W is also called LW-6550SG in another datasheet from 2007. Yes, they have 2 products sharing the same model number...

The Green Power's 3.3, 5, 12V1 and 12V2 current values are identical to the ones on tested unit's label. On V-Power's both 12V1 and 12V2 have 18A.

I can send those datasheets by e-mail, if you want.

Cheers,
Ughadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:51 AM   #10
Travis

Join Date May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ughadoo View Post
Travis / Gabriel,

I have some HuntKey datasheets from 2007; that LW-6550SG seems to be a Green Star 550W with 14cm fan (there was also a version called LW-6550HG with 12cm fan in same datasheet). The V-Power 550W is also called LW-6550SG in another datasheet from 2007. Yes, they have 2 products sharing the same model number...

The Green Power's 3.3, 5, 12V1 and 12V2 current values are identical to the ones on tested unit's label. On V-Power's both 12V1 and 12V2 have 18A.

I can send those datasheets by e-mail, if you want.

Cheers,
Yeah that's great. Are the "continues" output rating included in those specs?

I said 'Wait and see how Huntkey acts' and now they're striking back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov91N95v-2Q

Gabe I believe what you've tested IS a Green Power model and perhaps the V-Power 550W will survive the 550W load -- though very badly.

Yeah I'm glad to find that they finally start to put their true output ratings on the label.

Though it's hard to distinguish, I can still see the new version now prints "OUTPUT WATTS: 450W CONTINUES" (yes still Engrish) and "OUTPUT MAX WATT: 550W". Now a Joe consumer can tell its true rating by the label.
Although they're shy to admit what they've been doing before, no doubt Huntkey has made a correct move. Let's see if they'll rate honestly from now on.

Last edited by Cheetos; 07-07-2009 at 07:41 PM.
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread