Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Cases: How to Avoid Overheating

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Cases: How to Avoid Overheating
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/142

Here's a snippet:
In the normal way of things, very little or no attention at all is paid to the choice of a case for housing a computer. However, nowadays processors are heating up ever more, so choosing the right cas...

Comments on this article are welcome.
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2006, 09:07 PM   #2
Bart

Join Date Sep 2006
Bart is on a distinguished road

Talking Improve Cooling System

My ATX casing has a fan funnel mounted on it since it was designed for LGA 775 mainboards. In order to provide more adequate supply of fresh cold air to the CPU fan, I removed the funnel, reduce its size so that it will not touch the CPU fan, and attached it to an 8 cm chassis fan and screw the chassis fan on the side of the casing that has holes in it. In this way more supply of air enters directly to the CPU fan. When I powered on the computer, I discovered that the processor and system temperature dropped. It also reduced the heat generated by the power supply which is directly above the processor. The only disadvantage is more noise is added to the system.
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:29 AM   #3
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Thanks for telling us your experience.

You may also want to take a look on this one:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/106

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 02:05 PM   #4
beglobal

Join Date Oct 2006
beglobal is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware Secrets Team
There has been a new article posted.

Title: Cases: How to Avoid Overheating
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/142

Here's a snippet:
In the normal way of things, very little or no attention at all is paid to the choice of a case for housing a computer. However, nowadays processors are heating up ever more, so choosing the right cas...

Comments on this article are welcome.
Very interesting!!!!!
beglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:19 AM   #5
HairyRodent

Join Date Jul 2008
HairyRodent is on a distinguished road

Last edited by HairyRodent; 01-19-2012 at 10:27 PM.
HairyRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:34 AM   #6
saruri

Join Date Nov 2008
saruri is on a distinguished road

Hi, I need someone to help me about the fan as soon as possible.
Gabriel Torres said that "fans at the computerís rear should be fitted in the exhaust direction" so does that mean that this installation guide:http://www.evercool.com.tw/install/instal_sff.htm is wrong?
Because the guide shows that the fan is facing inside (that is pulling cold air in right?). To pull the hot air out, isn't the fan suppose to be facing outside like the power supply?
The technician install the spider fan in my computer facing outside but the guide shows that it's the other way around. Which is correct??? I'm very confused, @o@.

Last edited by saruri; 11-29-2008 at 02:44 AM.
saruri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:20 AM   #7
Merman

Join Date May 2008
Merman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saruri View Post
Because the guide shows that the fan is facing inside (that is pulling cold air in right?). To pull the hot air out, isn't the fan suppose to be facing outside like the power supply?
Most fans I've seen have an arrow to show the direction of air flow. If you can't find this, test it to see which way the air blows. Then you should be able to screw it on to the case any way you want.

Fans on the back should be exhaust or blowing air out the back.
Merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:21 AM   #8
DavidFlorida

Join Date Nov 2008
DavidFlorida is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi, I need someone to help me about the fan as soon as possible.
Gabriel Torres said that "fans at the computerís rear should be fitted in the exhaust direction" so does that mean that this installation guide:http://www.evercool.com.tw/install/instal_sff.htm is wrong?
The technician install the spider fan in my computer facing outside but the guide shows that it's the other way around. Which is correct??? I'm very confused, @o@.
In a standard tower configuration, yes, the rear fan should blow air out of the case. Most fans show the direction of airflow (and sometimes rotation) as a small arrow embossed somewhere on the side of the fan housing. Also, a typical fan sucks air from the exposed side and exhausts it on the side where the fan motor actually mounts to the housing. In the picture below, you're looking at the exhaust side of the fan.

It looks like your fan is configurable, so if you want it inside the case, then the spiderweb cover could be moved to the intake side. Although I don't see why anyone would put a filter on a fan that's blowing air out of a case, unless it was to keep the fan blades clean. The intake is where you need the filter.
DavidFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:21 AM   #9
saruri

Join Date Nov 2008
saruri is on a distinguished road

Then is this installation guide:http://www.evercool.com.tw/install/instal_sff.htm CORRECT???
Because the installation guide shows that the exhaust side would be facing inside the cpu case, not outside.
saruri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:12 PM   #10
DavidFlorida

Join Date Nov 2008
DavidFlorida is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Then is this installation guide:http://www.evercool.com.tw/install/instal_sff.htm CORRECT???
Because the installation guide shows that the exhaust side would be facing inside the cpu case, not outside.
A computer case needs to evacuate the heat created by the components inside. This includes not only the CPU, but the other components on the motherboard. In terms of airflow balance, a case will remain cooler if there is more air being sucked out than blown in.

Regardless of what evercool's instructions say, unless you have additional fans sucking air out of the case, you won't see any benefit by having front and back fans blowing into the case.

Case in point (no pun intended): My current system sucks air in from the front and back. But, I have two fans on the transparent side cover that suck air out. The overall airflow is balanced. The air from the rear fan travels over the motherboard, while the air from the front fan travels over the hard disks, then the motherboard. The streams converge over the video card in the center, where the two fans mounted on the side suck air out from that area. So, overall, I run very cool temps inside my case, because of managed airflow.

You can't always trust what a manufacturer's instructions tell you to do. If you have additional fans, like I do, sucking air out from another location in the case, then it's acceptable to draw air in from the rear. But, if you set up a case with just air being sucked in, with no way to evacuate, the case will run hot.

Hope this helps.
DavidFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread