Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Corsair HX750W Power Supply Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Corsair HX750W Power Supply Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/775

Here is a snippet:
"It is very important to notice that Corsair HX750W, HX850W and HX1000W have nothing to do with other models from this same series. They use a complete different (and better, by the way) design using a..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2009, 12:08 PM   #2
stthomas

Join Date Jul 2009
stthomas is on a distinguished road

Cool PS Fans

Hi,
I've read a lot of your excellent PS reviews over the last couple of years and I'm wondering why you never seem to comment on the amount of noise (even just a subjective comment) the fans make.
Generally, It's hard to determine this once a system is built up, and it seems as though it would be simple for you to comment on.
Am I missing something?
Another thing I always like to know is whether there is the ability to monitor fan speed. Maybe no one uses this option, anymore. My old Seasonic (SS50HT) had this capability, but my newer Seasonic (M12 series) does not....

Thanks a lot,
Dave

Last edited by stthomas; 07-29-2009 at 02:55 PM.
stthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
SirkoZ

Join Date Sep 2008
SirkoZ is on a distinguished road

Thumbs down

Even if one outputs on the power supply is unacceptable, the power supply design is flawed and as such doesn't deserve any recommendation even if it has 110% efficiency, which this one doesn't, it only has ~86%, again - besides the point.
SirkoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:38 PM   #4
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stthomas View Post
I've read a lot of your excellent PS reviews over the last couple of years and I'm wondering why you never seem to comment on the amount of noise (even just a subjective comment) the fans make.
If you've read not only the reviews, but also the comments, you already know the answer to that question:
Subjective data isn't Gabriel's style.

For excellent in-depth analysis of PSU noise I recommend you to visit SPCR. Their PSU reviews don't go that deep into the technical analysis though.

Now, going back to this tested PSU and the flawed 5Vsb:
What is the characteristics with the PSU in stand-by, where the 5Vsb is the only output?

And another detail on 80Plus measurements:
These are (usually) done at 230V input, upping the efficiency further still!

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:16 PM   #5
Silentbob

Join Date May 2008
Silentbob is on a distinguished road

Just surprised Corsair would let this 5Vsb thing slide, considering they're not completely oblivious to the quality of the PSUs they release. Would be nice to get an "official" response on that.
Silentbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:23 AM   #6
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Hello guys and thanks for the comments. Here are the answers:

Fan noise level: I won't write about subjective values. I will in the future add values measured by a noise meter, however it will be just an exercise, as we have background noise here (street noise, noise produced by the computers around, noise produced by the load tester). I am still testing the best way to do this measurement.

+5VSB electrical noise: An engineer from Corsair contacted me and he is checking with CWT what is going on, reproducing on their lab our setup to reproduced the problem and possibly fix it.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:51 AM   #7
SirkoZ

Join Date Sep 2008
SirkoZ is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up

Thank you very much for these answers.
I'm glad the ripple problem is being looked into because it would be a shame for such good power supplies that have been marketed under Corsair name slip into mediocre level.
SirkoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:01 AM   #8
Fredrik

Join Date May 2009
Fredrik is on a distinguished road

Default Monday Specimens?

I wonder if these two were just unlucky black sheep - we say Monday Specimens in Swedish - of the heard:
http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=128974.0
It is very hard to find scape goats in this kind of high end systems - heards of feature rich and powerful sheep. With tight margins it doesn't take much for either device to underperform, but the symtoms by the posters point at the PSU.

----
Since I'm here. Asked the question before, but can anyone give a somewhat detailed description on how a system shuts down? Windows, processor, PSU. Don't think BIOS is involved, but it might.

Sorry about the language: My English is more eager than good.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:51 PM   #9
Ancient_1

Join Date Jul 2009
Ancient_1 is on a distinguished road

I am curious about the Max watts pulled from this unit and the M12D750. From the table shown if added they show the M12 having 954.1 but the table and conclusion say 851. On the HX750 if you add the individual amounts they add up to 913.5 and the table total says 912.9.

Is there a reason for the difference of the two tables?

HX750
Click image for larger version

Name:	HX750.PNG
Views:	77
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	170

M12D750
Name:  M12D750.PNG
Views: 957
Size:  4.8 KB
Ancient_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:54 AM   #10
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Thanks for pointing this out. There was an error on the table from Seasonic M12D 750 W power supply, where it was 33 A it should read 29 A. Thanks.

Also if you add all numbers you will get a slightly different number because of this:

Quote:
If you add all the powers listed for each test you may find a value different from what posted under “Total” below. Since each output can have a slight variation (e.g. +5 V output working at 5.10 V) the actual total amount of power being delivered is slightly different from the calculated value. On “Total” row we are using the real amount of power being delivered, as measured by our load tester.
Once again, thanks for catching this error and letting us know.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread