Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Corsair TX950W Power Supply Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Corsair TX950W Power Supply Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/846

Here is a snippet:
"The latest power supply from Corsair, TX950W, is a single-rail power supply featuring a DC-DC converter on its secondary, which is the preferred design to achieve high-efficiency nowadays. Differently..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 10-23-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
Phaedrus

Join Date Sep 2009
Phaedrus is on a distinguished road

Corsair wins one internet for honesty and quality. I recommend the Corsair TX series for gaming builds more than any other PSUs, as they deliver quality that other brands charge much more for. The only thing against them is lack of modular cabling, and since modular cabling increases resistance and thus decreases efficiency, that may be considered a good thing in some camps.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know what's going on with PC Power and Cooling? Virtually all of their PSUs have been pulled from newegg except two 1200W models, a 370W, and a 450W.
Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:22 AM   #3
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
... modular cabling increases resistance and thus decreases efficiency, that may be considered a good thing in some camps.
Even more: Modular cabling has a nasty tendency to increase the price!

But given that the cabling isn't modular, I think this PSU is excellent in providing a single cable to feed the CPU. On the other hand I actually don't like the six PCIe-cables that create a cable salad, especially if not all are used. Here I'd rather see three 16AWG cables with two connectors each. (Should cut the production cost a bit as well.)

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:37 AM   #4
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Corsair wins one internet for honesty and quality. I recommend the Corsair TX series for gaming builds more than any other PSUs, as they deliver quality that other brands charge much more for. The only thing against them is lack of modular cabling, and since modular cabling increases resistance and thus decreases efficiency, that may be considered a good thing in some camps.
You can get the HX series starting at 750 W and up, they use the same basic design (DC-DC converter) and have modular cabling system.

Quote:
On an unrelated note, does anyone know what's going on with PC Power and Cooling? Virtually all of their PSUs have been pulled from newegg except two 1200W models, a 370W, and a 450W.
I will check with them and get back to you. OCZ has bought PC Power and Cooling a while ago and maybe they are trying to focus PC Power & Cooling for the high-end space and OCZ to the mid-range and low-end space. I may be wrong (I have to ask them what is their policy these days) but as a consumer this is what is looking like.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
Phaedrus

Join Date Sep 2009
Phaedrus is on a distinguished road

Yes, the HX series is quite good as well, and I recommend it to those who want a little bit extra (alongside the SeaSonic M12D line), but I have a hard enough time convincing most people that buying a $50 PSU for their SLI system is a bad idea and that they need to buy a $110 or $130 PSU; trying to get them to buy a $170 unit would be near impossible!

And your explanation of the PC P&C thing makes sense. I've been trying to convince the hardware manager at TSF that most of the mid-range and up OCZ units are pretty good, maybe not quite to the same quality as Corsair or SeaSonic but still very good for the money. He ain't hearin' it though.
Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:14 AM   #6
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

I asked for an explanation from OCZ, let's wait and see...
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread