Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default EVGA H55 Motherboard

There has been a new article posted.

Title: EVGA H55 Motherboard
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/912

Here is a snippet:
"Motherboards based on the new H55, H57 and Q57 chipsets are targeted to the new Core i3 and Core i5 processors with integrated video, and EVGA has so far released two different models based on H55, si..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
rarchimedes

Join Date Dec 2007
rarchimedes is on a distinguished road

To the management,

This whole series is about as interesting as watching grass grow. Except for the most vanilla commercial machines, it is hard to think of any of these i3 or i5 machines as having any interest to anyone who cares about what they do with their machines. It is hard to drum up much interest in anything below the i7-920. The ideal machine for consumer and ordinary commercial use would be an i7-920 style processor with one or two of the processors replaced with a real video processor from ATI or nVidia and sound processor, and with 3 gig of DDR3 RAM mounted in a form factor that put the 3-way interleave on a single RAM board, along with a separate connection for an independent video board. The rest of the interfaces would be managed with SATA 6 and USB3 connections, allowing the connection of anything else that mattered. These hamstrung, neutered pieces of junk are just not very useful or very interesting, and I wish you would just quit reviewing them.
rarchimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:30 AM   #3
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

Rarchimedes, I disagree!

The Core i3 and i5 are (potentially) suitable also for concerned users, as long as they don't need to run any "heavy" applications.
Typical use would be the regular Office suite, web browsing and use as an HTPC.

The keys for success is to a) have the motherboards come in simple (low cost) varieties suited for that use, without extra bells and whistles, and b) have the integrated graphics included virtually for free, compared to CPUs without it.
(Therefore I do agree with Rarchimedes insofar that the tested moterboards, available only at prices >$100, aren't interesting. It's the cheap ones that attract interest.)

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
rarchimedes

Join Date Dec 2007
rarchimedes is on a distinguished road

Olle P,

If that level of functionality is all you need, then go get one of these dual Atom processors, again with a separate video chip on the MB. Your power budget would be about one third, and you probably would not need a fan of any kind, and nobody would be able to tell the performance difference for the type of apps you are talking about. These middle of the road processors with fairly high power consumption, low performance, and need for cooling just don't have a place any more.
rarchimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread