Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default FSP Aurum Gold 700 Power Supply Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: FSP Aurum Gold 700 Power Supply Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...ly-Review/1228

Here is a snippet:
"FSP is a traditional OEM manufacturer that is also offering some retail products. One of their latest offerings is the Aurum Gold series, with 400 W, 500 W, 600 W, and 700 W models featuring 80 Plus G..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
TIGR

Join Date May 2010
TIGR is on a distinguished road

Thank you for this review. I've been wanting to see how this unit performs. If you can get your hands on a 400W model I would really like to see results from that as well.

"Tig" | [RE] CoD4 Clan | My XFire

TIGRAlpha4: i5 750 / P7P55 WS Supercomputer / 16GB DDR3 / 2x GTX 470 / 128GB SSD + 7x 500GB RAID 0 / OP1000-E
TIGRBravo3: i3 530 / P7P55 WS Supercomputer / 4GB DDR3 / 2x GTS 450 / 5x 1.5TB RAID 5 / 650TX
TIGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

I will ask FSP, thanks.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
mockingbird

Join Date May 2010
mockingbird is on a distinguished road

I can get a modular Corsair 750W PSU for $75 why would I spend $130 on this?

Also notice the CapXon capacitors.
mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
TIGR

Join Date May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockingbird View Post
Sorry to go off topic, but do you have a link to that deal?

Note that you're comparing what is clearly a sale price on the Corsair to the FSP's MSRP—not an apples to apples comparison.

TIGRAlpha4: i5 750 / P7P55 WS Supercomputer / 16GB DDR3 / 2x GTX 470 / 128GB SSD + 7x 500GB RAID 0 / OP1000-E
TIGRBravo3: i3 530 / P7P55 WS Supercomputer / 4GB DDR3 / 2x GTS 450 / 5x 1.5TB RAID 5 / 650TX
Old 03-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
Phaedrus

Join Date Sep 2009
Phaedrus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In the switching section, we were surprised to see a modified single-transistor forward configuration
Actually, McSteel from JonnyGURU forums claims it's active clamp forward (a bit different from traditional forward) with a twist:

Quote:
their going for active-clamp reset forward then doing synchronous buck from 12 to 3.3 and 5 V is pretty ballsy. If they did it right, this could be pretty good, actually. With properly set switch delays (and frequency) they can get nearly lossless turn-off of the main switcher(s). Also, during steady-state operation, the clamp capacitor's voltage will be equal to the ratio of input voltage over (1 - duty cycle). And since the duty cycle decreases as the in-voltage increases, the voltage on the clamp capacitor will adapt to maintain the equality. This enables the use of a low drain-source breakdown voltage MOSFET in the reset section, which means lower RDS |on| and lower gate charge, meaning less power is wasted. Add to that the leakage inductance is returned to source, and you have high efficiency with inexpensive silicon.

I don't pretend to understand all of it, but I get 90%. It's a little unfair to call it modified single forward, since that topology is usually associated with lower/middle market sub-500W non-80PLUS units like the Thermaltake TR2 430W, and some lower-end OEM PSUs. This is something that FSP has apparently been developing for three years.
Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:14 AM   #7
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockingbird View Post
First you didn't say the Corsair model. Second, you are comparing two completely different products, probably an 80 Plus Bronze to an 80 Plus Gold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
Actually, McSteel from JonnyGURU forums claims it's active clamp forward (a bit different from traditional forward) with a twist
Thanks for posting this. He is absolutely right. I draw some schematics and spent a couple of hours trying to undestand the design they used, without sucess. I will update the review.

Thanks once again,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
mockingbird

Join Date May 2010

The model is AX750 which I believe is a modular version of the TX750 (V1). They're brand new, and I can't post the deal because the deal is local.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
TIGR

Join Date May 2010

Your "local deal" doesn't really pertain to most others, who are looking at a price of over twice that for the AX750.

Even the older TX series 750w is $90 and that's after MIR.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #10
mockingbird

Join Date May 2010

That's not the point. The point is that 750w power supplies can now be had for a lot less than FSP is charging for this overpriced, underqualified product. Don't get me wrong, I like FSPs lower-end models and I sell them quite often with new low-end builds, but I expected FSP to at least use Samxon-class (But not Samxon GF) capacitors for this product. There's no excuse. Samxon is a Taiwanese capacitor company but the quality of the products are comparable to Japanese manufacturers. GS and GT series would have been perfect for this PSU. Instead they went and used garbage CapXon capacitors for probably the same amount Samxon would have cost them. There is no excuse here.
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread