Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3 Motherboard

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3 Motherboard
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...therboard/1274

Here is a snippet:
"Gigabyte released 11 motherboard models based on the new Intel Z68 chipset. With prices ranging from USD 120 to USD 350, there is a model for any kind of user. Let's take a look at one of the most hig..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
Athlonite

Join Date Sep 2010
Athlonite is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Athlonite

Now that board looks much nicer than the one Asus has all black with little blue accents instead of Asus's confusingly colored blue everything which makes it look like an Gigabyte board....

And I still don't see why they have to do 2x GPU's @ x8/x8 instead of x16/x16

Last edited by Athlonite; 05-12-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Athlonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

First, I consider this board to not be "one of the most high-end models" in Gigabyte's repertoire! In my opinion their top Z68 based model is the UD3H.

This UD5 board seems littered with near useless features such as three FireWire ports. Who use FW in the first place? The only major usage I know is to dump files from video cameras, and a secondary usage is for some external HDDs. A single port would be (more than) sufficient for the majority of users.
More below...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlonite View Post
It's even worse, and that's not limited to Gigabyte.

We have the many USB3 ports mentioned, available through sharing the data bus.
What isn't mentioned is that these in turn gain access to the CPU through the PCIe lanes (which I think is a "feature" common to all Z68 boards), so do expect some performance drop if you send lots of data through the USB3 while running some intense application on dual graphics cards.

I will buy a Z68 based motherboard when they become available here in Sweden, but it won't be one from Gigabyte.

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:36 AM   #4
Onus

Join Date Jun 2010
Tennessee, USA
Onus is on a distinguished road

I am going to rebuild my primary rig next month. I will use either Z68 Intel or 900-series AMD, depending partly on Bulldozer benchmarks but probably more on on chipset features and total cost. I will likely choose ASRock or Asus. This Gigabyte board in particular does look like the kind of Z68 implementation to avoid. I'd want Virtu, and don't want USB3 and other performance hits just for using the full range of features.

Last edited by Onus; 05-13-2011 at 05:39 AM.
Onus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlonite View Post
This limitation has nothing to do with the motherboard, but with the CPU. On Intel socket 1155/1156 CPUs there is a PCI Express x16 controller embedded, which is capable of doing x16/x0 or x8/x8 only. See the diagram below.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chipset-Z68-Block-Diagram.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	241  
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden

Nvidia's NF200 chip does allow a work-around to the 16-lane limitation, and I expect that to come in near future high end gaming boards with Z68.

(And I've now ordered an ASRock Z68 Extreme4, since it provides me with (almost) everything I want, and then some.)

Cheers
Olle
Old 05-14-2011, 04:06 AM   #7
Onus

Join Date Jun 2010
Tennessee, USA
Onus is on a distinguished road

I'd be interested to know what you think of it, as that's likely the one I'd get if I go Intel.
Onus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #8
Brodie

Join Date May 2011
Brodie is on a distinguished road

Default Z68 or H67

I am pleased to read that the Z68 has firewire on board, as its an item that I use. I am in the throws of preparing to upgrade my old computer, & having begun to have problems with the Graphics card, which really is only there for the monitor anyway, the integrated GPU is of interest to me.

Primarilly my need is to be able transfer miniDV tapes to computer for editing & then burn to DVD, thus my sights were set on on the GA-H67A-UD3HB3 although advertised is almost impossible to source. The only option then is a much higher priced P67 board which means the cost of a graphics card, I would much sooner put that price towards a 2600 CPU, instead of the 2500, that is if the extra, $100.00 for the 2600 warrants it.

I have 2 video cameras, both with firewire output & one with HDMI, whilst I think the HDMI would be ok with the one camera, I much prefer the well trusted Firewire for video transfer.

One concern though is that I have read some not too flattering reports on the new type GA bios.

Any comments or advice appreciated.
Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:14 AM   #9
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden

There are quite a few motherboards with H67 that also has Firewire.
Z68 is the choice if you want to overclock the CPU and/or use SRT.

For transforming your films to DVD format you want Quick Synk. For that task it's probably no big difference in performance between a cheap i3-2100 or 2120 and the i7-2600K. That means you could get away with a fairly low cost option here, depending on what else you want your computer to do...

Cheers
Olle
Old 05-15-2011, 05:36 AM   #10
Brodie

Join Date May 2011
Brodie is on a distinguished road

Thanks Olle P

I must have missed something with the SFT?

Whilst video transer is a primary task, I also have a large Slide collection that requires digitalising as well, which will possibly benefit from a slightly better cpu. As the computer will not really be a games machine, I do not rule that out but, I am not into any of the crysis types, at best strategy.

Likewise I am not really an overclocker & generally get enough speed with what I build. My current configuration is GA p55 UD3, E520 CPU 2meg ram, Galazy 9800GT VGA, running Vista home 32. & still with an old Samsung 19"CRT monitor.

It meets most of my needs but is having VGA issues as well as freezing on me, with the blue screen. That is intermitant & will run for months with no issues. With this instability, I cannot afford to have that happen when working with video tasks.
Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread