Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Thermal Compound Roundup - August 2011

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Thermal Compound Roundup - August 2011
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...gust-2011/1360

Here is a snippet:
"Following up on our Thermal Compound Roundup - July 2011 review, we are adding five more thermal compounds to our roundup, for a total of 35 different models from Antec, Arctic Cooling, Arctic Silver,..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
Weaselsmasher

Join Date Mar 2011
Weaselsmasher is on a distinguished road

We're seeing about a 7-degree spread between the worst of the "real" thermal compounds and the best. I'm not sure I'd describe that as insignificant. Consider: strong recommendations for CPU coolers are made on the basis of a seven-degree spread, why not the same for cooling compounds? Does a 40-dollar CPU cooler plus 5 dollars worth of goop cool better than a 60-dollar CPU cooler with its stock compound at a given noise level? How does a quiet, inexpensive cooler with good goop compare to an expensive cooler with its stock goop, cooling-wise and noise-wise? Goop is silent.

Suggestion for the next alternative compound: a chocolate chip! Just don't lick your CPU. People will start to talk funny about you if you do.
Weaselsmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
Rafael Coelho
Super Moderator

Join Date Jun 2008
Rafael Coelho is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselsmasher View Post
We're seeing about a 7-degree spread between the worst of the "real" thermal compounds and the best. I'm not sure I'd describe that as insignificant. Consider: strong recommendations for CPU coolers are made on the basis of a seven-degree spread, why not the same for cooling compounds? Does a 40-dollar CPU cooler plus 5 dollars worth of goop cool better than a 60-dollar CPU cooler with its stock compound at a given noise level? How does a quiet, inexpensive cooler with good goop compare to an expensive cooler with its stock goop, cooling-wise and noise-wise? Goop is silent.

Suggestion for the next alternative compound: a chocolate chip! Just don't lick your CPU. People will start to talk funny about you if you do.
I agree partially. I think the most important thing is that some users like to squeeze any possible degree from the system, so both factors count.
And chocolate is a good call for next month, thank you.

Share This Thread