Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default UEFI Just How Important It Really Is

There has been a new article posted.

Title: UEFI Just How Important It Really Is
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...Really-Is/1385

Here is a snippet:
"*This article delves into the new UEFI architecture and why it is much more important to the computer world than you think. Computer hardware has evolved a great deal in the past few decades. Graphics..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 09-21-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
odb

Join Date Jun 2010
odb is on a distinguished road

OS-Like Functionality... acces the web, email.? This is benefit. There is OS for this. Mainboards with BIOS has functionality to easy update BIOS, choose boot device and other.... New GUI menu in UEFI is terrible. BFU`s never use BIOS to setup. Old style BIOS is better than UEFI GUI. GUI is not advantage, it is only eye candy effect.
odb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
Rajface

Join Date May 2011
Rajface is on a distinguished road

You're missing all the optimizations that were included in the article, including support for upcoming Windows 8. The OS functionality is just one of many parts included. Also keep in mind that sometimes your OS can be compromised, and then you can utilize the integrated GUI to gain access to key documents or troubleshoot the issues.

Newer versions of UEFI will improve as time goes on (for example, MSI just recently redesigned their ClickBIOS to ClickBIOS II for a better overall look). It is still new and there will always been a learning curve for programmers to be able to utilize all of the features.
Rajface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
snerge

Join Date Sep 2011
snerge is on a distinguished road

Default Drawbacks

There might be some drawbacks as reported by Ars Technica as you may be prevented to install a different OS by the hardware manufacturer.

Source :
http://arstechnica.com/business/news...le+Feedfetcher
snerge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:19 AM   #5
beegie1

Join Date Sep 2011
beegie1 is on a distinguished road

Default Gigabyte boards

What are your thoughts on Gigabyte's Touch BIOS? They still have the old BIOS with the ability to adjust BIOS settings in windows.
I'm looking to buy a new board here in the next couple months before the end of the year. I've been looking at boards all year trying to decide which one I wanted. I had been going back and forth between Asus, Gigabyte, MSI and had finally settled on Gigabyte's GA-Z68XP-UD5 if I could catch it on sale sometime or the UD4.
But after reading this article it **** it all up.

Last edited by Gabriel Torres; 09-26-2011 at 12:10 PM. Reason: small typo
beegie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread