Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default A8-3870K vs. Core i3-2105 CPU Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: A8-3870K vs. Core i3-2105 CPU Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...PU-Review/1470

Here is a snippet:
"AMD released recently its highest-end CPU with integrated video, the A8-3870K "Black Edition," which comes with its clock multiplier unlocked, giving you an extra overclocking option. In this review, ..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 01-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
bnn1

Join Date Jan 2012
bnn1 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I will benefit of Crossfire if i use A8-3870K with Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 6850? Or the dedicated card will take over on most of the times?

Thank you
bnn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
artk2219

Join Date Jan 2012
artk2219 is on a distinguished road

Default Nope

No the 6850 is much more powerful than the gpu integrated into the APU, it would not benefit from it, and AMD does not allow this type of crossfiring anyway. I believe you can crossfire GPU's in the 6600 series and below though.
artk2219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:45 AM   #4
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

For the video card you mention, it makes more sense to buy a different CPU, as the A8 series does not support CrossFire with it, and you wouldn't use the integrated video processor. As you can see on the review, the processing performance of the A8-3870K is lower than that of Core i3-210x's.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
Kilobit

Join Date Jan 2012
Kilobit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Torres View Post
For the video card you mention, it makes more sense to buy a different CPU, as the A8 series does not support CrossFire with it, and you wouldn't use the integrated video processor. As you can see on the review, the processing performance of the A8-3870K is lower than that of Core i3-210x's.
ahh but the AMD 3870k claims 4 cores but is actually only a dual core with 2 MB of cache and 2 threads per core (based on BD architecture), also the Intel SB processors have Physics on the cpu, Nvidia leased the rights to Intel in 2009 to place on their chips of course being doubtful that Intel was gonna be successful in intergrating graphics on a CPU (stated by Nvidia CEO) which does have a significant effect in processing x86 instructions in all actuallity AMD's multi-threading may not be as quick as Intels Hyper-threading it is still impressive to see the AMD chips do as well as they do considering Intels been doing it since 2006 and AMD just started last year. And yes it does support Crossfire up to an HD 6670.
Kilobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
wtouristo

Join Date Jan 2011
wtouristo is on a distinguished road

I have had difficulty appreciating the FM-1 socket offerings as it offers better graphic performance but not enough and not enough future upgrades. At which point I am repeatedly told I do not appreciate the advantages of the A-series for basic computing, energy efficency, and HTPC performance.

I have been debating assembling an FM-1/A-series computer just to see what results I would get.

I find the article illuminating, and very helpful. My feelings, probably in part coming from the difficulties and cost of attempting to upgrade older computers, make me want to see an upgrade path if there are (more)changes than expected.
I also find if you are looking at 1080 display you will want more than 6670 graphics, though the crossfire helps in this case.

I do wonder which performance will be favored by changes.
Thanks for the visit.
wtouristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
C.W.

Join Date Jan 2011
C.W. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilobit View Post
ahh but the AMD 3870k claims 4 cores but is actually only a dual core with 2 MB of cache and 2 threads per core (based on BD architecture), also the Intel SB processors have Physics on the cpu, Nvidia leased the rights to Intel in 2009 to place on their chips of course being doubtful that Intel was gonna be successful in intergrating graphics on a CPU (stated by Nvidia CEO) which does have a significant effect in processing x86 instructions in all actuallity AMD's multi-threading may not be as quick as Intels Hyper-threading it is still impressive to see the AMD chips do as well as they do considering Intels been doing it since 2006 and AMD just started last year. And yes it does support Crossfire up to an HD 6670.
It's based on Stars architecture (Phenom), not Bulldozer. Trinity is bulldozer architecture based, but has not been released yet. The A8 3870K has four physical cores.

Also, sources for PhysX on Intel's chips? Sounds implausible since NVIDIA won't allow PhysX to run on non-NVIDIA GPU systems.

@wtouristo ~ I think APUs focus on providing a complete package over future upgrades. In other words, you're observations are correct- the CPU is designed for use in OEM PC builds. The nature of having a GPU + CPU on the same chip means the GPU is going to be outdated only a short ways into the CPU's lifespan.
C.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread