Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Spire BlackDragon 400 W Power Supply Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Spire BlackDragon 400 W Power Supply Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...ly-Review/1635

Here is a snippet:
"Spire provides three models within its BlackDragon series: 400 W, 500 W, and 600 W. None of them has the 80 Plus certification. Let's see if the 400 W model is a good buy.Units from the BlackDragon se..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
Silentbob

Join Date May 2008
Silentbob is on a distinguished road

Bleh. That Seventeam platform, I guess it's the same as in the CM GX series. Mediocre and the 3.3V rail wasn't faring well in those units either.
Silentbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
Onus

Join Date Jun 2010
Tennessee, USA
Onus is on a distinguished road

The Antec VP series was a notable exception, and perhaps it's appropriate to hope for another, but I'm not sure I see a point in bothering to review anything not 80+ certified.
Yeah, they only test at 23C, but at least they run the units at 100% of their labels, which would kill the really pointless junk.
Onus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
Merman

Join Date May 2008
Merman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onus View Post
but I'm not sure I see a point in bothering to review anything not 80+ certified.
80 Plus certification is not an assuration of quality power. It may also not be worth the time, effort and cost to certify a low cost and low power unit.

This unit had provided quality power until the ripple went out of spec at full power. And then it was only the +3.3V and mainly +5VSB output. The overload test does show all rails are way out of spec, which really supports the review's conclusions.
Merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:22 AM   #5
Onus

Join Date Jun 2010
Tennessee, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merman View Post
80 Plus certification is not an assuration of quality power. It may also not be worth the time, effort and cost to certify a low cost and low power unit.

This unit had provided quality power until the ripple went out of spec at full power. And then it was only the +3.3V and mainly +5VSB output. The overload test does show all rails are way out of spec, which really supports the review's conclusions.
No, it is not. Crappermaster comes to mind. But, with the exception of the Antec VP, I'm not sure there are any non-certified PSUs I'd even briefly consider today.
If it wasn't worth getting it certified, I can't imagine it's worth buying.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:44 AM   #6
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

^
I have a few units made by Hipro, Bestec and Delta sitting in my spares pile (mostly out of brand name PCs). They aren't 80+, but they are still capable PSUs which can deliver their rated power cleanly and without blowing up.

Quote:
The electrolytic capacitors available in the secondary are also from CapXon...
that could be a problem (http://forums.hardwaresecrets.com/ba...tor-power/8286)

Last edited by c.hegge; 09-14-2012 at 02:54 AM.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #7
Merman

Join Date May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onus View Post
No, it is not. Crappermaster comes to mind. But, with the exception of the Antec VP, I'm not sure there are any non-certified PSUs I'd even briefly consider today.
If it wasn't worth getting it certified, I can't imagine it's worth buying.
I don't understand your argument. You agree that 80+ is not assurance of quality but you can't imagine buying a good quality PSU that may be 80+ efficient but not certified???

80+ is funded by North American Utility companies. It is about as much advertising as it is efficency maybe more as you know independent tests are needed to keep manufacturers honest.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #8
Onus

Join Date Jun 2010
Tennessee, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merman View Post
I don't understand your argument. You agree that 80+ is not assurance of quality but you can't imagine buying a good quality PSU that may be 80+ efficient but not certified???

80+ is funded by North American Utility companies. It is about as much advertising as it is efficency maybe more as you know independent tests are needed to keep manufacturers honest.
No...please pardon my lack of clarity. I WOULD buy a VP-450 thanks to the tests here; it is the ONLY non-certified PSU I'd buy today. There are a lot of old, uncertified PSUs out there that don't blow up (even some of the old Rosewills), but they're not efficient, and I'm probably a little OCD about waste.
In the absence of better information, my thoughts are I've read plenty of reviews of PSU-shaped objects that burned at <80% of their label. Even though 80+ tests at 23C ambient, the fact that they run units at 100% for at least half an hour (and they stayed efficient; not starting to "wander") will weed those out. Yes, I know that derating means they still might not make it to 100% at 40C. Based on the consistency of Gabriel's overload test results, I'd anticipate that they could make it but not efficiently.
That says nothing about ripple and noise, the kind of thing that causes instability or damages parts, but I can think of only a few 80+ PSUs that failed those tests, and especially recently it seems that most non-certified units fail them.
In the absence of competent technical reviews, and assuming the 80+ logo itself is not a lie, as a rough guide (e.g. in uncertain foreign markets), I'd choose any 80+ unit over any non-80+ unit.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
Merman

Join Date May 2008

Thanks for your response Onus. We basically agree just not 100%.
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread