Hardware Secrets Forums


Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Miscellaneous > Content Comments



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 06:53 AM   #1
Hardware Secrets Team
Administrator
 
Join Date Nov 2004
Posts: 5,592
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Prolimatech Genesis Black Series CPU Cooler Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Prolimatech Genesis Black Series CPU Cooler Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...er-Review/1725

Here is a snippet:
"The Prolimatech Genesis Black Series is a CPU cooler with*two heatsinks, one vertical and one horizontal. It supports up to three 120 mm or 140 mm fans. Let's test it.The black cardboard box of the Ge..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 02-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
Onus
Senior Member
 
Onus's Avatar
 
Join Date Jun 2010
Tennessee, USA
Posts: 288
Onus is on a distinguished road

Default

Hmmm, middle-of-the-pack performance, and middle-of-the-pack noise, for $75? Did that include the cost of the three 15mm fans and their clips? Questionable fit on many boards. As often as you've said your awards are based on value, I just don't see Gold here. Yes, I read the conclusion. Shaving 2C-3C over air coolers selling for half the price does not strike me as mattering.
Onus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
Rafael Coelho
Super Moderator
 
Rafael Coelho's Avatar
 
Join Date Jun 2008
Posts: 180
Rafael Coelho is on a distinguished road

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onus View Post
Hmmm, middle-of-the-pack performance, and middle-of-the-pack noise, for $75? Did that include the cost of the three 15mm fans and their clips? Questionable fit on many boards. As often as you've said your awards are based on value, I just don't see Gold here. Yes, I read the conclusion. Shaving 2C-3C over air coolers selling for half the price does not strike me as mattering.
If you don't consider the watercoolers, it has actually top-of-the-pack performance.
In our cooler reviews, the product receives a good award if it has a good value OR a good performance. It's like movie review stars: alone, they don't say much.
Thanks for commenting!
__________________
There´s nothing as practical as a good theory.
Rafael Coelho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:28 AM   #4
spelingchampeon
Junior Member
 
Join Date Dec 2012
Posts: 3
spelingchampeon is on a distinguished road

Default unexplained final review?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Coelho View Post
If you don't consider the watercoolers, it has actually top-of-the-pack performance.
In our cooler reviews, the product receives a good award if it has a good value OR a good performance. It's like movie review stars: alone, they don't say much.
Thanks for commenting!
While I appreciate the work that you do, this review IMO is not fully deserving of gold unless the review is based on "heatsink only". If the results are based on fan usage (conveniently sent by Prolimatech), then there should be another set of test results,

Using 3 Ultra Sleek Vortex fans by Prolimatech will jack up the cost by $60 USD (priced at Newegg). This may also change your decibel results as the Ultra Sleek Vortex fans are out of stock at Newegg. Also throw in that using 3 fans will require buying another set of fan clips will run another $5 USD (priced at Newegg) and we're talking a whole new ball game,

I'm calling this review incomplete in my tiny little mind!
spelingchampeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #5
Rafael Coelho
Super Moderator
 
Rafael Coelho's Avatar
 
Join Date Jun 2008
Posts: 180
Rafael Coelho is on a distinguished road

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spelingchampeon View Post
While I appreciate the work that you do, this review IMO is not fully deserving of gold unless the review is based on "heatsink only". If the results are based on fan usage (conveniently sent by Prolimatech), then there should be another set of test results,

Using 3 Ultra Sleek Vortex fans by Prolimatech will jack up the cost by $60 USD (priced at Newegg). This may also change your decibel results as the Ultra Sleek Vortex fans are out of stock at Newegg. Also throw in that using 3 fans will require buying another set of fan clips will run another $5 USD (priced at Newegg) and we're talking a whole new ball game,

I'm calling this review incomplete in my tiny little mind!
Thanks!
Well, the preduct reviewed is the cooler as it comes, without fans. In those cases, if the manufacturer send us retail fans with the cooler, we use them. But the award go to the cooler, not to the combo.
__________________
There´s nothing as practical as a good theory.
Rafael Coelho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:12 AM   #6
Onus
Senior Member
 
Onus's Avatar
 
Join Date Jun 2010
Tennessee, USA
Posts: 288
Onus is on a distinguished road

Default

Wait a minute...what temps did you get with just the included fans (none)? It looked to me like the review numbers used the fans, which makes this MORE expensive than some water coolers.
Onus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #7
spelingchampeon
Junior Member
 
Join Date Dec 2012
Posts: 3
spelingchampeon is on a distinguished road

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Coelho View Post
Thanks!
Well, the preduct reviewed is the cooler as it comes, without fans. In those cases, if the manufacturer send us retail fans with the cooler, we use them. But the award go to the cooler, not to the combo.
At the beginning of your reply (RED bolded), you state the review is based on the cooler, without the fans. If this is the case, then the DB level for the cooler should be ZERO. If the review is based on using the fans (BLUE bolded), then your review should be based on total cost (cooler with fans).

To be fair to your readers (some may not read the entire review), it can't be both ways.
spelingchampeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:35 AM   #8
Rafael Coelho
Super Moderator
 
Rafael Coelho's Avatar
 
Join Date Jun 2008
Posts: 180
Rafael Coelho is on a distinguished road

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spelingchampeon View Post
At the beginning of your reply (RED bolded), you state the review is based on the cooler, without the fans. If this is the case, then the DB level for the cooler should be ZERO. If the review is based on using the fans (BLUE bolded), then your review should be based on total cost (cooler with fans).

To be fair to your readers (some may not read the entire review), it can't be both ways.
The cooler is intended to be used WITH FANS, so we test it with fans.
However, the product reviewed is the cooler, not the fans. So the award go to the cooler and the conclusions apply to it.
__________________
There´s nothing as practical as a good theory.
Rafael Coelho is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Reply

Share This Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:23 PM.


vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. ()
© 2004-12, Hardware Secrets, LLC. All rights reserved.