Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Storage

Old 07-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
shortysears

Join Date Jul 2013
shortysears is on a distinguished road

Default HARD DRIVE REPLACEMENT WITH SOLID STATE DRIVE questions

I have a second hand "older model" HP Pavilion a450y (a000), desk top computer, HW BOM:101, SW BOM:NA40, System No: D7222M, Serial No: MXP35104TN, which I purchased "second hand" from the origional owner. I was running the original Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (Product Key: MBKYC BF6WT-Y4FJF-FVTR-M7RWG) that was loaded for the previous owner, at the time of new purchase. The original "hard drive" C:\ has "crashed". This C:\ hard drive was the normal "boot drive". This original "crashed" C:\ hard drive was a 120 GigaByte rotating disk drive. I would like to replace it with a new "256 gigaByte Solid State drive (SSD)".

The original "crashed" C:\ hard disk drive is an: APL MAXDOR@ DiamondMax Plus 9, 120GB ATA / 133 HDD, D33019, MIC E-H011-02-3880, 3.5 SERIES, MA6Y120L0, 5187-2136, Code: YAR41BW0 N,M,G,D, SN:Y3L4DMRE, 6Y120L0132041, LBA: 240121728, ER: , +5V 670mA, +12V 960mA, AAA, Mfg. Date: 18NOV2003, Made in Singapore ( ) C 78.

I would like to replace the "crashed" C:\ hard disk drive with a new solid state drive that is "plug compatible" with the interface and power cables that exist from my mother board and power supply to my original C:\ hard disk drive. I believe the original motherboard to hard disk interface was an IDE interface. After an extensive search I have found no SSD's available with an IDE interface. SSD's all seem to have SATA interfaces. There are several "converters" for IDE to SSD interfaces, which when added to any one of several 256Gb SSD's available would appear to make my installation "plug compatible" (such as: KINGWIN ADP-06 SATA to IDE Bridge Board, Item#: N82E16812226024, $9.19, newegg.com).

But simply being "plug compatible" may not be sufficient. SSD's are formatted in FAT32, the original IDE disk drive was not. I have had considerable hardware experience but it is all with older "pre 1990" equipment. I have had considerable programming experience in: Binary, Assembly language, Basic, Fortran, Algol, PL-1, C++, and Microsoft Visual Basic Scripting (under Unix and DOS operating systems only, no Windows).

But, I have never tried this before! So, I have several concerns (questions):

(1) Can my C:\ original hard disk drive be replaced with an IDE to SATA converter and a SSD?

(2) Will a new C:\ SSD software disk driver be required, or does the converter make the replacement transparent (i.e: the SSD appears to the software as being the same hard disk drive)? Will the fact that the SSD is formatted in FAT32 require a different software disk diver?

(3) Will the new C:\ SSD and converter require any modification to the HP Pavilion BIOS to get the drive to boot properly?

(4) Will there have to be any software additions or modifications to get Windows XP to run properly on the new C:\ SSD with converter?

(5) Are there any other hardware or software incompatibility issues I am likely to encounter with this SSD and converter configuration?

(6) Is there a better way to replace my "crashed" C:\ hard drive with a Solid State disk?

Before I invest in the new hardware I would like to know if I am probably going to be able to get this new configuration to work. I would like to avoid the expense of purchasing the hardware and then discovering that it will not work in this planned new configuration.

Any information you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.........

Jim Sears (E-mail: shortysears@gmail.com)
shortysears is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortysears View Post
(1) Can my C:\ original hard disk drive be replaced with an IDE to SATA converter and a SSD?
Yes, but could you post a photo of your PC's internals? Are you sure it doesn't have SATA on the motherboard? I could almost swear that model has it.

Quote:
(2) Will a new C:\ SSD software disk driver be required, or does the converter make the replacement transparent (i.e: the SSD appears to the software as being the same hard disk drive)? Will the fact that the SSD is formatted in FAT32 require a different software disk diver?
Those IDE/SATA Adapters do not require any driver software, nor does the formatting matter. It can easily be re-formatted as NTFS.

Quote:
(3) Will the new C:\ SSD and converter require any modification to the HP Pavilion BIOS to get the drive to boot properly?
No

Quote:
(4) Will there have to be any software additions or modifications to get Windows XP to run properly on the new C:\ SSD with converter?

(5) Are there any other hardware or software incompatibility issues I am likely to encounter with this SSD and converter configuration?
The software side is where things will become a problem. XP simply doesn't play nice with SSDs (well, not without a little help, that is). First of all, it doesn't do the proper alignment when partitioning them. To do that, you have to use a windows 7 PC to partition and format the HDD, and then install XP to the formatted partition (without redoing the format). The other problem is that XP does not support TRIM, (a feature which is required to keep an SSD running smoothly), so it will have to be manually done using 3rd party software (which, AFAIK, is only available in Intel and Samsung SSDs. No other manufacturers I know of include software, and neither are there any independent utilities)

Quote:
(6) Is there a better way to replace my "crashed" C:\ hard drive with a Solid State disk?
As I said in step 1, if the board has SATA, that would be a better approach than a SATA/IDE Adapter. One other thing you should check on a PC that age is the capacitors. I know this is irrelevant, but that model would often have get bad caps and fail. If any are bulged/leaking, toss the PC, and don't bother spending money on it, as the motherboard will die completely soon.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread