Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Antec Neo HE 550 Power Supply

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Antec Neo HE 550 Power Supply
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/361

Here is a snippet:
"Neo HE is a high efficiency power supply series from Antec, hence the name “HE”. According to Antec, power supplies from this series have an efficiency of up to 85% (compare to 50% on regular power su..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2006, 01:03 PM   #2
Phynesse

Join Date Aug 2006
Phynesse is on a distinguished road

Question Virtual Rails

Thanks for this great review. very interesting to have a look inside and see whats there. I just received mine yesterday from Antec as a replacement for my Neo480, which has appearently become unavailable! at first i was disappointed, but it seems that this is really an upgrade.

I was surprised to learn about the virtual rail concept, and that the 12V rails are really not seperate at all. that begs a question: is it safe to assume then that there should be no harm when I connect 3 harddrives to a single molex cable?? common sense would lead me to believe that i should spread the load across 2 or even three cables?
Phynesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 04:32 AM   #3
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Oh yeah, separating them makes sense. Even though they are connected together on the power supply PCB, each wire has its own current limits due to its gauge. So when you install two HDD on different cables you are lowering the current on each individual cable, even though the total current will still be the same.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Just to let you guys know that I "upgraded" this article to a full review, adding results of our load tests.

I also corrected and expanded the explanation about the +12V virtual rails pointed out above.

Enjoy!

Thanks,
Gabriel.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:33 AM   #5
casanova

Join Date Feb 2008
casanova is on a distinguished road

Default Good review

Great review, as always. Were you able to tell the OEM of this PSU? I believe the popular assessment is Seasonic but just wanted to hear your opinion.
casanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:30 AM   #6
Spectre

Join Date Feb 2008
Spectre is on a distinguished road

It is a low end Seasonic.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
georgew

Join Date May 2008
georgew is on a distinguished road

Default junk power supply

Just FYI...

this power supply is junk.

It comes with a 5 year warranty, however the thin sheetmetal case flexes as you hold it, and the warranty-void sticker tears itself because of the flex of putting the power supply in the case, and installing the screws. (No, I did not overtighten them, I used a small hand-powered driver, and there was no need to make them very tight). So when the power supply dies before the first year is up, you have no warranty.

This unit costs way too much for the quick failure and crappy case and self-voiding warranty. The store I bought it at went out of business to boot...

thanks alot Antec!

Who makes a good eps12v power supply that lasts more than a year for a reasonable price?

George
georgew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:31 PM   #8
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Hi,

On the 500 W range I personally liked these three:

Antec EarthWatts 500 W:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/526

Corsair VX450W (internally identical to the above unit)
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/540

Silverstone Strider ST-50F 500 W
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/548

Enermax PRO82+ 525 W is outstanding, but far more expensive than the above models:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/551

There should be more good PSU's around, I can only comment on the ones I actually tested.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:59 AM   #9
hmazuji

Join Date Mar 2014
hmazuji is on a distinguished road

Thumbs down it is junk.

georgew 's comment was spot on.

i've been having trouble with my 1. printer 2. network 3. cd/dvd writer 4. usb devices and guess what ? i replaced my motherboard.

wrong move. i purchased a power supply tester and guess what ? it told me the power supply was good. what a tough problem to troubleshoot.

i replaced my motherboard, and after that didn't work, i thought it was a bad board, so i returned it. wrong move.

finally, replaced the p.s., and my pc has been up since. no problems. thanks antec. i wish it would have just died instead of lingering on like this.
hmazuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:28 PM   #10
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

^
It's probably got bad capacitors. It often happens to those OST-filled seasonics after a few years and causes those funny problems. They are practically bulletprof if you recap them with Japanese caps, though.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread