Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Memory

Old 07-13-2013, 01:54 AM   #1
cobete10

Join Date Aug 2011
Spain
cobete10 is on a distinguished road

Lightbulb How can a memory module get broken?

Hi.

I've been using my PC with 4 GB of RAM for several years and it started to fail randomly around a week ago: BSOD, kernel panic when running Linux, etc.

So I run memtest86+ to check the memory and it appeared that the memory was faulty. I tested then the memory modules one by one until I found out the broken one. Just to be sure, I tested this very memory module in another motherboard and the results were the same: a lot of errors in Memtest86+. FYI, the module is a Kingston KVR400X64C3A/1G.

This is the first time that I see something like this and I'm curious. I don't recall my PC suffering a power outage or similar. Maybe the memory overheated because is the closest one to the CPU? That would be a little bit weird because I've been using this box for years with no problem at all.

I know that nobody probably will know exactly what happened to that module but if possible I would like to read about possible culprits. I wouldn't like to buy a new memory module to find out that it broke also. Oh, and the four memory modules were fine just a year ago, checked also with Memtest86+.

Thanks in advance.
cobete10 is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 07-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

How can a light bulb burn? How can a DVD player stop working? How can a TV burn? How can a chair break?

There are some things that simply burn, break, or stop working.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
Onus

Join Date Jun 2010
Tennessee, USA
Onus is on a distinguished road

What brand and model (not just wattage) is your PSU? Turn-on spikes, ripple out of spec, and other power anomalies can damage components over time.
Onus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
cobete10

Join Date Aug 2011
Spain
cobete10 is on a distinguished road

Default TACENS Radix V 450

The PSU is a TACENS Radix V 450 purchased half and year ago.

I don't know if they are useful but its specs are available although only in Spanish.
cobete10 is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread