Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Power

Old 07-24-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

Talking Cooler Power GX850. Fake wattage and Fake Brand

I've been seeing these "Cooler Power" branded PSUs being sold in Australia lately. I got my hands on one for the first time recently. It really looks like they are trying to copy Cooler Master going by the logo on the label.

Internally, I can see one major design blunder - The PPFC coil mounted to the back blocks the airflow off the secondary heatsink! It stayed way too hot to touch, long after the rest of the unit had cooled down. I'd hate to think how hot it got on the load tester!

The power supply failed under 550W Load (about 42A of that on the 12V rail) when a 12V rectifier burned out. With a pair of 30A schottkys there, I would have expected to be able to go a bit higher than that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GX850 (Custom).jpg
Views:	62
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	421   Click image for larger version

Name:	GX850-Label (Custom).jpg
Views:	114
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	422   Click image for larger version

Name:	GX850-Internals.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	423  

Last edited by c.hegge; 07-24-2013 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Typo

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

OUCH!!! I wonder if Cooler Master is aware of this! I will let them know!
Gabriel Torres is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia

Looks like I have found the distributor

http://www.powertek.com.au/pro_detail.php?ProId=937

They seem to have changed their logo lately, but the box looks exactly the same as my unit (minus the logo change). It also has a fake 80+ logo. No way this would comply.

I'll publish a more detailed review on HWI at the end of the year in the el-cheapo PSU roundup.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
CM Phaedrus

Join Date Jul 2013
Chino Hills, CA
CM Phaedrus is on a distinguished road

lol!

We're having a good laugh at this in the office now. To be honest it doesn't look it would be excessively terrible for a 500W PSU. Too bad they're labeling it as an 850W.

Anyway, we'll let Legal handle it.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!
CM Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia

^
Agreed. It did 500W in spec, and I think it might have gone a bit higher if it wasn't for that PFC Coil. It also uses a 140mm Yate Loon Ball Bearing Fan, which is much better than the cheap sleeve bearings usually seen on Generic PSUs. I'm actually thinking I might fix it and use it on a low end PC. I can get new schottkys and caps dirt cheap. I might stick a pair of 40A parts in and disable the PFC circuit.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:10 AM   #6
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Awesome, Cooler Master came here and is aware of the situation!

Gabriel.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #7
Onus

Join Date Jun 2010
Tennessee, USA
Onus is on a distinguished road

What is CM doing now about their own liar-labeled products? I see most of them are still listed at Newegg. Were they going to be removed from the market world wide, or still get foisted off somewhere?
Onus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
CM Phaedrus

Join Date Jul 2013
Chino Hills, CA
CM Phaedrus is on a distinguished road

I'm doing my best to discontinue many of our--let's be honest--crappy products. Some are already off the table now, EOL. But we still have thousands in stock, and I cannot tell management that we just have to throw those in a dump and eat the cost! I'd be laughed out of the company. So we do have to sell through old stock.

There are other product series that I would consider ****, that are difficult to discontinue due to internal politics, or because they're making money in a struggling product segment.

It's not as simple as throwing a switch. But as I said when I joined CoolerMaster, change will come. I've made some plans for 2014 that I think you folks would approve of.
CM Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
Onus

Join Date Jun 2010
Tennessee, USA
Onus is on a distinguished road

If they are dishonestly labelled, for example claiming an OCP circuit that is in fact missing, then yes, the Right thing to do is either throw them in the dump and eat the cost, or re-label them accurately so anyone buying one knows what he/she is getting. Anything else is consumer fraud.
Onus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #10
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Thanks for being candid about this subject. Having this kind of product in your catalog only hurts your brand. Unfortunately, there are still some people inside a few companies who think that defrauding consumers is the way to sell products and that consumers are too stupid to know the difference. Fraud is a serious crime and this kind of people should be in jail.
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread