Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Recommendations for Custom PC Building

Old 08-07-2013, 02:24 AM   #1
Lebowsky

Join Date Aug 2013
Lebowsky is on a distinguished road

Question New work-horse PC build, asking for advice!

Hi people,

first-time poster here. Have been looking at many reviews on the web, and particularly like those from hardwaresecrets - neat, precise and well formulated.

So here's the thing. I bought my last computer 8+ years ago. It's a P4 2.53GHz and an ASUS-P4PE Deluxe. Back then it was the best thing to with, e.g. it was the first board with SATA event though SATA drives were not available yet, and boy has this been useful when I upgraded my hd... I gave it a second by being a Radeon HD video card to be able to watch HD content.

Now I do believe I have used it up completely, and after a RAM slots died in the last weeks, I decided to bite the bullet for a new computer.

I plan to have this new one last (almost) as long as the last one, so once again I want to pick up the best thing available. Budget is not a factor. I can go past 2000$, even 3000$ if need be without it being a problem.

Now bear in mind I haven't followed anything hardware related in the last years, I am just catching up now. And I have read mixed reviews as to which socket is best between 2011 and 1150 sockets, so I don't know which one to go with for a start.

I don't want to overclock, I am not interested. The machine will be used for programming, video editing and encoding, sound recording and editing, image processing, and gaming. As far as I could read, I guess the 1150 might more interesting, especially without overclocking? So most likely an Intel i7 4770 CPU, unless everyone advises against it.

What I want is the most feature oriented motherboard as possible, so that I can later expand without it being a problem, e.g. adding video capture card(s), professional sound devices, etc. It needs to be ATX, have a PS/2 legacy input for my model M keyboard, bluetooth would be nice but not WiFi (does one exist without the other?), 1394 as well I suppose.

The thing I am mainly at lost with are the PCI-e lanes thing (16/8/x/x/x thingy). I intend on buying a very good video card, but probably have only one monitor, at least for a few more years. It should be easier to choose a video card, so I am currently only focusing on the mobo.

Right now I am eyeing at the Intel DZ87KLT-75K, especially because the 1394 chipset is TI and not VIA, as well as a legacy PCI and it does have all the features I am looking for.

So what else is out there? What should I really be looking it at, especially if I want this computer to last as long as the last on? Would a Xeon machine with ECC memory be a smarter thing to go for?

Thanks in advance and I hope there aren't too many questions in that one post
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
Lebowsky

Join Date Aug 2013

Ok after some reviews, I am leaning towards this:

- Intel DZ87KLT-75K Mobo
- Intel Core i7 4770
- Asus GTX-770
- 1x8GB RAM (I haven't quite understood the model I need?)
- ATX case I want something silent, but haven't been able to research much yet
- I already have 2x2TB storage (well 1x2TB but RAID mirroring), WD Caviar 7200rpm/8.9MS/64MB on my current computer
- I will need another disk for system and such. Is it better to go SSD for this?
- I already have an optical as well

any thoughts or opinions?
Old 08-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

I'd probably drop the CPU back to an i5 4570. The difference in performance is only small, and they are considerably cheaper.

8GB should be enough RAM, alhough you're better off going with 2x4GB to get dual channel. If you don't want to OC, then you don't need really expensive RAM. I usually use Kingston HyperX Blue for this kind of thing.

For the case, a Fractal Design Define R4 might be an option. I've used one before, and they have plenty of sound damping measures, and come with very quiet fans. They are also easy to manage the cables on. Also, if you want to keep it quiet, then use an after-market CPU cooler, like a CoolerMaster Hyper 212.

I would definitely use an SSD for a boot HDD. I usually recommend Intel SSDs, as I've had excellent experiences wit them. I haven't had any problems with Samsung SSDs either, but, unless you go with the 840 pro series, they can be somewhat slower than other models. 120GB is easily enough for just the OS and a few programs. If you want to put a lot of stuff on them, though, then a 240 or 256GB drive might be a better option.

You also didn't mention a PSU in that list. I'd recommend one of the following:

Seasonic S12II or M12II 520W
Seasonic G-550
XFX Core edition 550W
Antec HCG-520W (or HCG-520M)
OCZ ZS Series 550W

All of those are very well built power supplies.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:29 AM   #4
Lebowsky

Join Date Aug 2013

Thanks for the advice on the CPU. It's indeed 100$ cheaper.

As for the RAM, is it it can be any DD3 frequency up to 2400, as long as it is at 1.5V right?

Thanks for the case and PSU advices. I thought the PSU was included with case.

What are the pros and cons of using an SSD vs a "regular" SATA3 drive? If it's just the boot time, but then they are slower to write on and less durable, I'm not sure that it's an option for me...
Old 08-11-2013, 03:01 AM   #5
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky View Post
As for the RAM, is it it can be any DD3 frequency up to 2400, as long as it is at 1.5V right?
That board only supports 2400 in Overclock mode, so i wouldn't bother using anything higher than 1600 MHz

Quote:
Thanks for the case and PSU advices. I thought the PSU was included with case.
Very few cases include PSUs, and even fewer include PSUs that don't explode at 300W load. The PSUs included with some In Win cases are about the only ones I trust, although they are usually lower wattage models.

Quote:
What are the pros and cons of using an SSD vs a "regular" SATA3 drive? If it's just the boot time, but then they are slower to write on and less durable, I'm not sure that it's an option for me...
Pros:
- Much faster Read/Write speeds, so windows and programs load way faster (On most PCs I've built using SSDs, the windows loading animation doesn't even complete)
- No moving parts, so they're quieter and mechanical failures are impossible

Cons:
- Smaller capacity
- Higher Cost per GB

What I usually recommend is using a smallish (120 or maybe 240GB) SSD just for the OS and programs, and a mechanical HDD for the data files (since they don't usually take very long to open anyway).

These days, I find that mechanical HDDs from all manufacturers are extremely unreliable, other than maybe some of the higher end and enterprise products, although, I've even found them to be hit and miss. If anything, I think SSDs are probably less failure prone (although if one was to fail, a forensic recovery would be much harder).

Last edited by c.hegge; 08-11-2013 at 03:07 AM.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:22 AM   #6
Lebowsky

Join Date Aug 2013

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll investigate which cases are available locally (in Switzerland) and post back with an update. Cheers!
Old 08-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
anasalinas105

Join Date Aug 2013
anasalinas105 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I was having the same problem ... I will try

fotografia ecuador

Last edited by anasalinas105; 08-28-2013 at 11:31 AM.
anasalinas105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
Blinztree

Join Date Jun 2013
Blinztree is on a distinguished road

If you plan to do pure video & audio, editing and rendering on this built, a mobo with a single PCI-e (single GPU) suffices.

I would go for at least 320gb for primary disk. My work box (non gaming) is very lean and my 160gb ssd is filling up fast. One of the video editors I plan to install gobbles up 60gb.
Blinztree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:42 AM   #9
Lebowsky

Join Date Aug 2013

FWIW, here's what I went with in the end:

Intel DZ87KLT-75K
i7 4770
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Kingston HyperX, 2x8GB, DDR3-1600, CL9-9-9 @1.5
Asus GTX-770
Samsung SSD 840 Pro
Fractal Design Define R4
Seasonic X-650
Sony Optiarc 7260S

I would like to thank you a lot c.hegge for all the help, as I followed most of your recommendations!
Old 09-06-2013, 05:53 AM   #10
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia

No problems. That's a nice configuration you've got there

new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread