Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Recommendations for Custom PC Building

Old 08-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
thefatherofzen

Join Date Aug 2013
thefatherofzen is on a distinguished road

Default please help with pc build

hello everyone. my name is shane. i am not new to building my own pc, but haven't in quite some time (about 10 yrs). i have decided, due to many issues with my current pc (too ancient to even bother listing info - but AMD based), that is is time for a new one. i looked around @ purchasing a "pre-packaged" pc, but when i really dug into the components offered on systems in my price range, i was completely appalled. i knew i could build my own system & get more bang for my buck. so i started looking into what is now available (again i haven't built a pc in 10yrs), & i am feeling a bit overwhelmed @ what is available today.

I apologize for the long story, but in short, i would really appreciate any help/advice in system components. thank you in advance for your time & advice.

my budget: i would like to see if i can keep it around $500 US (can go 100-200 higher if i feel it would be really worth it in the long run).

my needs: i have a good monitor, so the money can really all go towards the pc. i don't need a fancy "gaming" system. what i would like is a pc for internet use, photo & light video editing (nothing major at all), audio/music editing/burning, potentially watching tv/movies, etc.

i do a lot of multi-tasking (ie- i can easily have up to 12 internet tabs open at a time, along with a photo program, outlook, etc). so i believe that would require a decent amount of RAM to keep from bogging the system down (correct me if i am wrong).

i would like to keep it an AMD based system. & i know i want a good, low-noise power source/supply, as i have had issues in the past with low quality ones damaging systems.

a good mobo with plenty of room for RAM, & although i may not have the budget for a good quality video card, @ some point in the near future i plan on getting one & maybe a tuner card as well.

i will need a new case (again the one i have is ancient). and if there is anything you feel i missed that would be good to have in a modern style system please feel free to recommend it (ie - cooling/coolers i have no real experience with at all).

i have read other threads similar to mine, & most (if not all) have some sort of list they have decided upon. i apologize i do not, i have researched many different components for the past few weeks, but as i stated earlier i am a bit overwhelmed & would rather just look into any recommendations offered here.

again, i apologize for the tall order, but i thank all in advance for any help.
thefatherofzen is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

Where abouts are you from? What retailers are available to you? That is going to have a big impact on what components you can use.

I would probably recommend using something like an A10 6800K or FX-6300 CPU with the onboard graphics if you want an AMD PC that doesn't have to be used for gaming. 8GB of RAM should be enough. As for the rest of the components, it will depend on where you want to get the parts from.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #3
thefatherofzen

Join Date Aug 2013

thanks for the reply. I live in texas (USA) & will most likely use tigerdirect &/or newegg for my parts. of course any other distributor recommendations are appreciated.

TY for the CPU recs, I will check into those. & yeah, i will most likely be fine with using onboard graphics initially for now. as far as the RAM goes, i do plan on using wndws 7 or 8 64bit (havent taken the time to compare/research the diffs yet), so will that have any impact on the amount of RAM i should use??

again, i apologize for the long first post - it was late last night & i tend to ramble a bit (so my wife says!). i guess to re-summarize, i really just need some recs on a mobo, CPU, RAM, power source/supply, & maybe a case.

and again, much thanks to all for any help given.

Last edited by thefatherofzen; 08-25-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
thefatherofzen

Join Date Aug 2013

update: here is a link to what i am leaning towards so far -

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/thefatherofzen/saved/2fLu

still working on a mobo & power supply

thanks for any suggestions/recommendations...
Old 08-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1wl8h

I think that's about as good as you'll get for around the $500 mark.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
thefatherofzen

Join Date Aug 2013

looks good... thanks for all the help!!!
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread