Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Storage

Old 08-30-2013, 01:13 AM   #1
DominicCrozet

Join Date Mar 2012
DominicCrozet is on a distinguished road

Smile Hard drive configuration

Hi Gabriel,
Has been a while.
I have now done a bit of video editing but now would like to re-think my situation with my hard drives. I have two internal hard drives. A 1tb for my OS and a 3tb where I store all my data. This is not ideal and would appreciate some advice from you. I am thinking about buying two more drives. I will use the 3tb for backup. I will buy another 1tb thus having two 1tb and then create Raid 0. For my OS I will buy a 500gb Solid State hybrid drive.
If I am on the right track WHY is this a good option? Also is there a way of automatically saving data from Raid 0 to my backup?
Thanks in advance
Dominic
DominicCrozet is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2013, 02:56 AM   #2
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Hi,

RAID 0 only improves performance. For data protection you should take a look into RAID 1. RAID 1 provides an automatic backup for all your data on the second hard drive. Or even consider RAID 10 or 0+1, which combines RAID 0 and RAID 1.

For the OS and programs, currently SSDs are a must.

Good luck.

Gabriel
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
Onus

Join Date Jun 2010
Tennessee, USA
Onus is on a distinguished road

^+1. I'd get another 3TB drive exactly like the one you have, and create a RAID1 pair for greater data security.
Backups are still a good idea though. Burn finished products onto DVDs. Depending on how much data you actually have, the WD "My Passport" USB 3.0 drives come with software that will back up designated directories as you work, including maintaining multiple versions of the files it backs up (you specify how many). It did not seem to be a system hog on my i5-3570K or Phenom II 970 when I tested it, and USB 3.0 makes it fast.
Onus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
DominicCrozet

Join Date Mar 2012

Hi Gabriel,
Thanks for such a quick response. I don't know what they are paying you but its not enough.
I like the idea of the raid 10 or 0 + 1 combo. However, my MOBO can only fit 4 hard drives. Would it have been better if I had 5 hard drives on my MOBO. E.g. 2 drives for raid 1 and 2 drives for raid 0 and 1 drive for OS?
I believe SSD for OS is the way forward. Loading up videos onto my editing application takes a while and wondering if a SSD would improve this performance.
Will wait for your response
Cheers
Dom

Hi Onus,
Thank you so much for your advice.
I believe I only have capacity of 4 hard drives in my Asrock extreme 6 z77 MOBO. Here are the specs for the drives:

Onboard SATA/RAID 2 x SATA 6 Gbps (PCH), Support for RAID 0, 1, 5, 10
2 x SATA 6 Gbps (ASMedia ASM1061)
4 x SATA 3 Gbps (PCH), Support for RAID 0, 1, 5, 10

Looking at this does slightly feel like another language to me although I am improving. It does say its supports a raid 10 so maybe I am wrong and can go ahead with suggestions of a raid 10. 2 x 3tb raid 1. Sounds like a plan!!!
Cheers
Dominic
Old 08-31-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
Onus

Join Date Jun 2010
Tennessee, USA

Looks to me that you can have eight drives. 2x6Gb/s and 4x3Gb/s are controlled by the Intel chipset, and another 2x6Gb/s ports are controlled by an added Asmedia controller. Any/all of the Intel-controlled ports may be run in RAID configurations.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:22 AM   #6
DominicCrozet

Join Date Mar 2012

Hi Onus,
8 drives!!! What a great dilema to be in.
I was influenced by your external hard dive and bought myself a 'Samsung 3TB D3 Station External Desktop Hard Drive - Black' from amazon. It has 1,500 reviews at an average rating of 4 1/2 stars. It also has auto backup feature. At 88 pounds I couldn't resist.
I am really looking to improve performance in my editing suite. When I run the timeline quickly through my clips it often takes time to catch up with the new position in the timeline. My computer is powerful. Mobo Asrock z77 extreme 6, core i7 Cpu, Asus gtx 670 Ghraphic card, 16gb of ram; but perhaps with a Raid 0, reading those videos maybe quicker and therefore will have less of a catchup problem???? Would a SSD for my OS also improve this situtaion?
Anyway, if you think you have an idea it would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Dom
Old 09-02-2013, 05:46 AM   #7
Onus

Join Date Jun 2010
Tennessee, USA

SSD performance is much higher than mechanical HDD performance. Re-reading your OP, it looks like you also want a fast drive for your video projects? How many projects are you typically working on over the same time period, and how big are they? Although the new Samsung 840 EVO comes in either a 960GB or 1TB size (I forget which), it's not cheap at all. You can get a 256GB SSD for under $200 now though.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
DominicCrozet

Join Date Mar 2012

It seems a SSD is a must BUT they are expensive and perhaps will have to pull the reins with the spending and hopefully the cost will drop. For now will have to make do with my 1tb hdd for my OS and programmes.
I will definitely buy the same seagate barracuda 7200rpm 3tb drive and 'probably' make a Raid 0 and use my new 3tb external hard drive as backup. Will then see how this set up suits me for a while and think about Raid 10. However, have read that 10 is not that great for performance. Don't know why it's not so great?
I am only working on one project at a time and they are about 20gb in size. However, things could change.
By the way, do you know much about 'Scratch Disks'? If so, is this important in terms of performance with editing?
Cheers
Dominic
Old 09-03-2013, 05:54 AM   #9
Onus

Join Date Jun 2010
Tennessee, USA

A "Scratch disk" is a temporary working area. You copy your project to it from a permanent storage area, work on it, then save the results back to permanent storage. RAID0 is sometimes used for this. It isn't as safe, but if the contents are lost due to a drive failure you still have your permanent storage. With only a single 20GB project active, you could get a 64GB SSD to use as a scratch disk.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #10
DominicCrozet

Join Date Mar 2012

Default raid 0 - what space should I expect?

Hello hardware secrets,
I have just configured a raid 0 with two 3tb hard drives. I use my Pc for editing and wanted to improve speed and performance. Before I achieved this I assumed the raid would only show 2.7 gb. as it becomes one disc BUT it is showing 5.45 gb. Is this correct? or do I need to configure it in a different way (less space) to get ultimate performance?
Thanks in advance
Dominic
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread