Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default How the VDSL Connection Works

There has been a new article posted.

Title: How the VDSL Connection Works
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...ion-Works/1819

Here is a snippet:
"VDSL (Very-high-bit-rate Digital Subscriber Line) is another popular type of DSL (Digital Subscriber Line) Internet connection. As its name suggests, it allows a higher transfer rate than ADSL. Let's ..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
thx1138

Join Date Sep 2013
thx1138 is on a distinguished road

Default More, please

Great articles on ADSL and VDSL. How about explaining in general terms VOIP over DSL, i.e. packet structures, call setup and breakdown, digital to analog and analog to digital conversion, etc.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to intercept or sniff the phone packets out of my Uverse 2Wire gateway. I see the caller ID data in a window on my TV when it is on so I know it's available but not how to find it on the network.

I have a program I wrote to capture the caller ID data from a regular POTS modem and accept or deny the call depending on a database lookup. That modem doesn't work with VOIP so I would like to find out how to rewrite the program to get the VOIP data, extract the caller ID info, do the database lookup, and if a denial send a fax handshake over VOIP.
thx1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

The Australian Government is currently in the process of upgrading all of Australia's ADSL network to FTTH, which I think was a great idea to future-proof the infrastructure. The new Prime Minister, though, had planned to stop new FTTH rollouts in favour of FTTN. The problem with that, however, is that the last mile of copper between the node/exchange and the majority of buildings is in such poor shape that it's unlikely to make much if any difference at all in the speeds we get (which is less than 10Mbps for the majority of houses), aside from the fact that the ongoing maintenance costs of the copper would be much, much higher than FTTH.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread