Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default How to Build a Wireless Network Without Using a Broadband Router

There has been a new article posted.

Title: How to Build a Wireless Network Without Using a Broadband Router
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/418

Here is a snippet:
"A lot of people don’t know that if you run Windows XP or Windows Vista it is possible to build your own wireless network at home or office without using a wireless broadband router or a wireless acces..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 02-04-2007, 01:43 AM   #2
marek

Join Date Feb 2007
marek is on a distinguished road

You probably should mention that an adhoc nextwork has a max speed of 11Mb no matter what speed of network card you get, so if you intend on large file transferes between the computers then i would recommend a router or access point. I found out the hard way when i set up adhoc between my HTPC and main PC and started transfering files, wondering why it was going so slow, bit of research later gave me my answer.
marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:31 AM   #3
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Thanks a lot for this tip, I'll add it to our tutorial!

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:36 PM   #4
Sammer

Join Date Apr 2008
Sammer is on a distinguished road

I was able to create a wireless ad-hoc without having to change my routers IP address as mentioned in the tutorial.

I ran through the set up as you normally would, but excluded the changing the routers IP.

HOST - I have a DELL Dimension 2400 with a Zonet USB Wireless adapter. I used Zonet's configuration tool to create the Ad-hoc. I left everything as default for the settings. Just created a profile name, SSID, and set it to Ad hoc.

Client - I am using a DELL Inspiron 1501 with the built in wireless network card, I disabled DELLs wireless confirguration tool and used Windows network tool. Selected my Ad hoc from the list of wireless networks and am currently using the ad hoc to write this post.

I found that when I used DELLs wireless configuration tool I got no IP address, turned it off and used Windows Wireless configuration tool and was able to connect

I had to find away to do this as I will be working with a network that only has a LAN connection and I want my laptop to connect to the internet using the Desktops connection.

For my testing network I am running a SpeedStream Modem, with a Dlink WBR-2310 wireless router, with wireless enabled. To set up the wireless ad-hoc I removed all profiles from my laptop and just used the ad-hoc created as mentioned above

This only worked the first time that I tired it though. After shutting down and trying it again I was unable to connect. I will have to look into it and see why it wont allow me to connect again.

Last edited by Sammer; 04-20-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Sammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:24 PM   #5
Sammer

Join Date Apr 2008
Sammer is on a distinguished road

After trying a few more times to connect. I ended up deleting the profile that I created in the Zonet Wireless Control and made a new one with the same name. I made sure that Dells Wireless configuration was turned off, and that the profile for the ad-hoc was not present in the preferred list. Opened Windows Wireless configuration tool, refreshed the list and connected to the ad-hoc, which I am now using to browse the internet again.

I did notice that my IP address was 192.168.0.x on the laptop and that my host IP address was also 192.168.0.x.

I did forget to mention that my router has been turned into a Access point only, because the speedstream is a combo router/modem.
Sammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:32 AM   #6
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The encryption used by an ad-hoc connection is “weaker” than the encryption provided by wireless broadband routers, ...
Not really, since you use the very same type of encryption.
Quote:
Data encryption: WEP.
Bad advice!
WEP does not provide any real security, since it can easily be cracked in 15 minutes using a standard laptop and easily obtainable freeware.

The encryption of choice should be WPA or WPA2, with pre-shared key.

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:59 AM   #7
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Updated. Important to note that Windows XP does not support other encryption scheme but WEP for the host computer. Thus the host computer must run Windows Vista or greater to support WPA2. The client computers can run Windows XP, no problem.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:12 AM   #8
danielwritesback

Join Date Sep 2009
danielwritesback is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware Secrets Team View Post
There has been a new article posted.

Title: How to Build a Wireless Network Without Using a Broadband Router
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/418

Here is a snippet:
"A lot of people don’t know that if you run Windows XP or Windows Vista it is possible to build your own wireless network at home or office without using a wireless broadband router or a wireless acces..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
WEP wireless security is perfectly fine if using the site security model. In this case, the wireless network is located on locked private property that is a larger size than the wireless coverage area. For example a ranch is typically located on a vast area of private property. The wireless coverage doesn't exceed this area.

WEP wireless security may be acceptable if the usage is temporary and in a lower risk residential area. The main point is "low risk" + "temporary use" may be an acceptable risk.
However, even temporary usage is not recommendable in hacker hot spot areas, which may be near a known wireless hotspot and/or any sort of school area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marek View Post
You probably should mention that an adhoc nextwork has a max speed of 11Mb no matter what speed of network card you get, so if you intend on large file transferes between the computers then i would recommend a router or access point. I found out the hard way when i set up adhoc between my HTPC and main PC and started transfering files, wondering why it was going so slow, bit of research later gave me my answer.
We can use the wired Internet Connection Sharing feature along with WiFi to get the 54mbps speed. This substitutes 3rd party software instead of [doesn't use the] adhoc settings.

Some wifi cards have a soft AP that can work around the problems of slow access and low security. For example, the popular chinese copy of the discontinued Abit Airpace uses exactly the same drivers as the Airpace. This new card is known as "Atheros PCI-E" wireless card. The software package from Atheros works well with XP Pro's internet connection sharing, automatically switching it on, and then creating (in software) a wireless router with WPA security and a high rate of speed. It has the added benefit of employing the PCIE-1x port (that are otherwise rarely useful).

Typically, the speed of a software-based access point and/or a hardware based access point (wireless router) is 54 megabits, which is the duplex figure. That's really 27 megabits when compared to wire. And, that's 3-1/3rd megabytes per second. Speed switching, protocol overhead and security overhead will drop this to 3 megabytes per second (which the popular chinese atheros PCI-E card can do). Some wireless cards (namely ralink) manage 2.4 megabytes per second. The average is: 2.7 megabytes per second if running point-to-point within one room. Its twice as fast as a 10 megabit Ethernet wired connection.

Other speed enhancements for this model of networking include:
Adding a modest 5dbi rated antenna to the router to promote stable speeds (if it isn't already equipped with such an antenna).
Doing a site scan and avoiding heavily polluted channels.
Moving the computer or antenna by even a few inches can make about "1 bar" difference--up to a 20% speed difference in some cases.
Adding a directional antenna to the client (like the highly effective "corner reflect" models--looks like a foot of gutter pipe).
Using a usb extension cable on your usb wireless.
Moving your 2.4GHz networking away from your 2.4GHz cordless phone.

Last edited by Cheetos; 09-27-2009 at 09:06 AM.
danielwritesback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwritesback View Post
WEP wireless security is perfectly fine if using the site security model. In this case, the wireless network is located on locked private property that is a larger size than the wireless coverage area.
- The coverage area is to some degree a function of antenna efficiency and transmitter power. The general rule of thumb is that the bad guys always have better antenna and transmitter power than you do, so they can use better stand-off than you can.
- If you still think that "locked private property" is sufficient to keep unwanted visitors way out from the network, then having no encryption at all will provide better performance.

WEP is so weak that any script kiddie with a half-decent laptop can crack it in less than 15 minutes.

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:29 PM   #10
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwritesback View Post
WEP wireless security is perfectly fine if using the site security model.
I have to disagree. WEP is flawed. And that's it. Nobody should use it. The example you gave is very silly. Anyone wanting to steal your data would simply have to jump the fence from your ranch and be inside your network range.

Gabriel.
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread