Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Antec EarthWatts 500 W Power Supply Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Antec EarthWatts 500 W Power Supply Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/526

Here is a snippet:
"EarthWatts is a series of power supplies from Antec with a Spartan look and relatively low cost, but able to deliver 80% efficiency and nominal power labeled at 50 C, also featuring active PFC and tw..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 02-19-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
zepper

Join Date Feb 2008
Finger Lakes area of NY
zepper is on a distinguished road

Lightbulb

Hey Gabe,

Good review, as usual. As you showed on the load test, the EA-500 is not really a dual rail PSU - that is why there are no current limiters up to 33A as it is really one +12 rail capable of up to 34 A or more. For most PSUs these days, dual rail is just a marketing fiction. Which has always been the best way if you want to really be able to use all the power available. This multi-rail **** is just another Intel stupidity that they didn't even adhere to for very long themselves. There is some safety benefit, but that's it.
. Active PFC has nothing to do with the lack of a voltage switch. Another circuit called auto input voltage compensation allows the PSU to plug into anything from 100 to over 230V at 50-60Hz or even a wider range (the two functions may be integrated into one chip now). It is usually combined with active PFC as (being on the AC side) another PCB is required to isolate from the DC section for either, thus killing two birds with one stone. I've also seen two-range input voltage compensation that does have a switch on a PSU that also has Active PFC.
. I would suggest running another set of tests at 100V in (as SPCR does now) to see how well the PSU lives up to its claims at the low end of the possible, while another set at 220 would show how efficiency improves at a higher input. More time involved, yes, but in the name of completeness.

.bh.
zepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
Spectre

Join Date Feb 2008
Spectre is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepper View Post
. I would suggest running another set of tests at 100V in (as SPCR does now) to see how well the PSU lives up to its claims at the low end of the possible, while another set at 220 would show how efficiency improves at a higher input. More time involved, yes, but in the name of completeness.

.bh.
When did SPCR start doing 100v? It isn't either of their last two articles tables.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
zepper

Join Date Feb 2008
Finger Lakes area of NY

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
When did SPCR start doing 100v? It isn't either of their last two articles tables.
Check this article on their test methodology - it's supposed to be there:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article683-page1.html

Look at the individual PSU reviews and you'll find it - not the PSU recommendations section.

.bh.

Last edited by zepper; 02-21-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
Spectre

Join Date Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepper View Post
Check this article on their test methodology - it's supposed to be there:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article683-page1.html

Look at the individual PSU reviews and you'll find it - not the PSU recommendations section.

.bh.

Right I see that. Now look at a review..say this one:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article802-page4.html

Quote:
Ambient conditions during testing were 21C and 20 dBA. AC input was 121V, 60Hz.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:03 AM   #6
Spectre

Join Date Feb 2008

Since I can't add this to my previous post apparently........................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
Right I see that. Now look at a review..say this one:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article802-page4.html
There is no data there for 100v, and with ti set to 121v it makes me think there is no variac there otherwise it would have been set to 120v or 115v even not 121v.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:34 PM   #7
zepper

Join Date Feb 2008
Finger Lakes area of NY

Lightbulb

Well, that data is in the reviews by Mike Chin, but not this other guy. Perhaps he lacks a variac. I wrote Devon a message asking about the missing data. I'll get back to you with his reply.

.bh.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:51 AM   #8
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I would suggest running another set of tests at 100V in (as SPCR does now) to see how well the PSU lives up to its claims at the low end of the possible, while another set at 220 would show how efficiency improves at a higher input. More time involved, yes, but in the name of completeness.
Hi,

First we would need an AC simulator, equipment we don't have.

Second, we don't see any practical reason to run at 100 V, as the only country that uses 100 V is Japan (and at 50 Hz).

And as we are mainly targeted to the USA audience we don't see any practical reason of testing under 220 V.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:42 PM   #9
gravy

Join Date Jul 2008
gravy is on a distinguished road

Hello Gabriel! I recently sent you an email asking if you had any information on the latest incarnation of this PSU being sold by online vendor Newegg. There is now a 500"D" model which is shipping which has higher marked +12v rails and according to what I can find on the johnnyguru forums this new model which has silently replaced the 500 model appears to be built by someone other than Seasonic, Delta specifically

Here is a picture of the label on my Ea500"D"

I purchased my Earthwatts 500"D" recently and am very pleased. I made my decision in large part based on the positive findings in this very review. So I pose the question again:

Is there any possibility of finding out more about this supposed Delta manufactured model and if the internal quality has changed signifigantly since it is not a Seasonic manufactured product anymore (assuming).

It would be good to update the article I would think since the product you reviewed is not what is shipping any more.

Thanks for your in depth reviews, keep up the good work.
gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:49 PM   #10
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Hum, thanks for the update, I will take a look into that.

www.jonnyguru.com is always the best place to discuss power supplies.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread