Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Thermaltake Purepower 430W NP Power Supply Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Thermaltake Purepower 430W NP Power Supply Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/332

Here is a snippet:
"Thermaltake Purepower 430 W NP, which is also known by other names like W0070, TR2-430W and XP550 NP, is one of the simplest and cheapest power supplies from Thermaltake. In this review we completely ..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 03-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
davidm71

Join Date Mar 2012
davidm71 is on a distinguished road

Default Newer model is the same deal?

Hi,

I was wondering if the two rail version that is out is the same deal with still having an older design as the newer one is atx12v v2.2 and the one reviewed was a v1.3?

Thanks

Last edited by Gabriel Torres; 03-12-2012 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Unecessary quote
davidm71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Thermaltake used the same name for different power supplies; they are probably different, although I am not 100% sure.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
Horsemouth

Join Date Sep 2013
Tampa Bay
Horsemouth is on a distinguished road

Default Old & obsolete review of updated PSU?

I read this review on the Thermaltake TR-2 430w psu but I also noticed the ancient date of the review. I apologize for waking up this dead thread but I was about to buy one of these psu's until I read this review.

The specs on the Thermaltake TR-2 430w box and psu itself are totally different in the Tigerdirect store than reported and reviewed here. Would it be possible for you guys to do an updated review of the newer TR-2 430w product if infact it has been overhauled? The reviews here at Hardware Secrets have been excellent and helpful so far. Thanks and have a good one.

Link to Thermaltake TR-2 430w:

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/produc...?id=C_00001967

Performance summary from Thermaltake site link above:

Model: TR2-430NL2NC

The combined power of +5V & +3.3V is 120W max.

AC INPUT
Input Voltage:115V / 230V
Input Current: 8A / 5A
Frequency: 47Hz - 63Hz
DC OUTPUT +3.3V +5V +12V1 -12V2 -12V +5Vsb
Output Current 22A 30A 18A 17A 0.3A 3A
Horsemouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

I don't think they've changed much at all. I've seen a few of these 430 watters and they don't look much different internally to the reviewed unit. If you want a decent 400-450 Watter, then a Seasonic S12II 430W (or XFX Core edition 450W) would be my first preference.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
Horsemouth

Join Date Sep 2013
Tampa Bay

Thanks so much for the reply. I didn't think anyone was going to answer my question without flaming me for waking up such a dead and buried thread. I see what your saying but Tigerdirect makes it sound like the Thermaltake TR2 430w has been really improved recently.

1.) I am confused because the Tigerdirect employee told me that the Thermaltake Tr2 430w is a much better built PSU now. Also on the Tigerdirect website the Thermaltake TR2 430w has this on the bottom of the product ad: "PLEASE NOTE: This product has been revised as of January 31, 2013. Previous version’s specifications and features may vary."
Link: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...575&CatId=1078

2.) The old review here is still holding me back from the purchase. I am a poor geek and I can't afford a much higher priced PSU. I am using partial Tigerdirect in-store credit, I am limited to what PSU I can buy. : (

3.) I can choose between the Thermaltake TR2, Ultra or some no name brand PSU's on the shelf. My last PSU was an Ultra LS 600w and it burnt up when I installed my GTX 650 ti. I don't want to try another Ultra PSU.

My rig is:
i3 3240 CPU
Asus P8H61-M LE Motherboard
EVGA GTX 650 ti ssc 1 GB videocard
4Gb Corsair XMS3 1333 mhz DDR3
500Gb 7200rpm Seagate HDD
DVD/RW Drive
80mm SilentX exhaust fan

4.) I saw you list that you use a Delta PSU in your signature. I do have a Delta DPS-400RB 400watt PSU I salvaged from a PC. The Delta does power up but I don't know its history and I am afraid to risk my PC trying it out.

If anyone can join our discussion to confirm or deny the Thermaltake TR2 430w is still a shoddy PSU or if it is indeed much better now in 2013, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post but this is very important to me because of cost and I am torn as to what to do at this point. Thanks.

Last edited by Horsemouth; 09-15-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:08 AM   #7
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

As far as I know, the "new" TR2-430 is different from the "old" TR2-420. However, whether or not the new model is a good buy I can't say, as I haven't tested it.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
Horsemouth

Join Date Sep 2013
Tampa Bay

I really appreciate the responses. I have been doing a lot of research on PC components lately and Hardware Secrets rocks! There is a lot of great info and people here! Thanks so much all you guys.

I am now trying to decide if I should just try out the Delta 400w PSU and hope my PC doesn't burst into flames. Or just go back up to the Tigerdirect store and give the Thermaltake TR2 430w a chance since its a newer model.

I know Delta makes a solid PSU but I just don't know the age or load history of that PSU. The Delta 400w PSU looks in real good shape. It wasn't real dirty but it came out of a salvaged Gateway PC I found in an alley. LoL

I am limited to Tigerdirect in purchase due to my current financial situation which is really narrowing my options. I am scared of Ultra PSU's now since mine burnt up rather dramatically. I love Tigerdirect but they really push the Ultra brand PSU's. I am personally not comfortable with trying Ultra again.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

Pop the cover on the delta and check the caps. If none are bad, then it should be OK. Some of their more entry level OEM units can get bad caps after a few years, but when they don't, they are excellent.

Last edited by c.hegge; 09-16-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #10
Horsemouth

Join Date Sep 2013
Tampa Bay

Thumbs up

I popped the cover as you suggested on the Delta DPS-400RB PSU and it looked in real good condition. I hooked it up and my PC fired right up. The Delta PSU is still in good shape and running fine.

I had to use the Tigerdirect store credit anyways so I figured I would buy the newest Thermaltake TR2 430w Intel ATX 12V 2.3 PSU. That way if the Thermaltake TR2 PSU isn't up to snuff I can use the Delta 400w and keep the Thermaltake 430w as a backup. If the Thermaltake TR2 430w is indeed an improved PSU I can use it and save the Delta for a backup. Win-Win.

I headed back to Tigerdirect in Clearwater, FL and grabbed a brand new Thermaltake TR2 430w Intel ATX 12V 2.3 PSU off the shelf and made the purchase.

Thermaltake TR2 430w specifications:

- Intelligent 120mm Cooling Fan – Large 120mm cooling fan with intelligent temperature control automatically throttles the fan speed so you get added cooling while working on intensive application or gaming and whisper quiet operation when you need it.
-Designed With Powerful Graphic Card Support in Mind – So you want to play the latest game title in ultra-realistic settings? Dual 12V rails with plenty of juice to spare supports any graphic card (NVIDIA or AMD).
- “Bullet-Proof” Protections – Good power supplies deliver stable and clean power. Great power supplies goes one step further to include industrial-grade power protections such as Over-Voltage Protection, Over Power Protection and Short-Circuit Protection to expect for the unexpected.
- ATX 12V V2.3 enables most reliable and robust power delivery.
- High-Quality components and dual 12V rails design enable non-stop usage with stable and reliable performance.
- Ready for next-generation multi-core Intel® & AMD CPU.
- Supports Nvidia® & ATI/AMD graphic cards.
- Dimension: 150mm(W)x86mm(H)x140mm(D).
- High reliability: MTBF>100,000 hours.
- Safety / EMI Approvals: UL/CUL/FCC/GOST/S Mark

Technology Features

“Bullet-Proof” Protections – Good power supplies deliver stable and clean power. Great power supplies goes one step further to include industrial-grade power protections such as Over-Voltage Protection, Over Power Protection and Short-Circuit Protection to expect for the unexpected

Intelligent Cooling Fan / Temperature Control System

Large 120mm cooling fan with intelligent temperature control automatically throttles the fan speed so you get added cooling while working on intensive application or gaming and whisper quiet operation when you need it.

Supports latest NVIDIA/AMD Graphic Cards

Almost all of today’s graphic cards require extra power, which means you’ll need PCI-E 6pin connector to ensure the graphic card is able to deliver the maximum performance. Built in PCI-E 6pin connector for high end graphic card.
Performance
Model: TR2-430NL2NC

The combined power of +5V & +3.3V is 120W max.
AC INPUT

Input Voltage:115V / 230V
Input Current: 8A / 5A
Frequency: 47Hz - 63Hz
DC OUTPUT +3.3V +5V +12V1 -12V2 -12V +5Vsb
Output Current 22A 30A 18A 17A 0.3A 3A

Connector Type Connectors & Cable length
20+4pin 1 x 20+4Pin Main connector (500mm)

EPS/ATX 12V 4+4Pin
1 x EPS/ATX 12V 4+4Pin connector (500mm)

Molex & SATA & FDD
3 x S-ATA & 2 x Peripheral connectors (500mm + 100mm + 100mm + 100mm + 100mm)
2 x S-ATA & 2 x Peripheral connectors & 1 x FDD 4Pin (500mm + 100mm + 100mm + 100mm + 100mm)

PCI-E 6Pin connector (500mm)

Model W0070
Model Intel ATX 12V 2.3
Max. Output Capacity 430W
Color Black
Dimension 150mm(W)x86mm(H)x140mm(D)
PFC (Power Factor Correction) None PFC
Power Good Signal 100-500 msec
Hold Up Time 16msec (minimum) at 60% of full load at 115/230Vac input.
Input current 115Vac /8A , 230Vac /5A
Input Frequency Range 47Hz - 63Hz
Input Voltage 115V / 230V
Operation Temperature 10 ℃ to +25 ℃
Operating Humidity 20% to 85%,non-condensing
Storage Temperature -40 ℃ to +70 ℃
Storage Humidity 5% to 95%, non-condensing
Cooling System 120mm Fan: 2000 R.P.M. ± 10%
Efficiency 70% (min.) at full load and 115/230Vac input.
MTBF 100,000 hrs minimum
Safety Approval UL/CUL/FCC/GOST/S Mark
PCI-E Connector 6Pin x 1

Layman Review of the Thermaltake TR2 430w ATX 12V 2.3 PSU:

The box for the Thermaltake TR2 430w is a stylish black box with Thermaltake logos and product information on it. The box itself gives the impression that a high quality component is inside.

Opening the box it contains the Thermaltake TR2 430w in bubble wrap, product manual, power cord, mounting screws.

Removing the bubble wrap from the PSU revealed a beautiful black PSU with the Thermaltake logo formed in the metal of the PSU housing on one side and the PSU specifications on the other. The PSU itself feels and appears very hefty and high quality in hand. The bottom of the PSU has an all black 120mm fan exhaust fan and black fan grill with black screws. The rear of the psu has black perferated mesh for exhaust. An on-off switch. A voltage 115/220v selector switch. On the front the power connection and the power wire rail leads all covered in a sleek black mesh connected inside the PSU.

The PSU installed effortlessly and fit perfectly into my ATX case. I checked all the connections and turned on the PC. It fired up immediately and the Thermaltake TR2 430w PSU is inaudible and blowing cool air.

The PC is running very stable with i3 3240 OC'd to 3.5Ghz, EVGA GTX 650ti SSC OC'd at 1071Mhz GPU/5500Mhz DDR5 memory. Tested it with the game Tera and was pulling gorgeous 50-80 FPS at 1080p resolution.

I don't have a multimeter available at the time so I can't give any readings from the PSU. The visual inspection of the Thermaltake PSU compared to a Ultra LS600w and a Delta DPS-400RB A PSU is night and day. Both the Delta and Ultra PSU appear in mundane grey metal box with the power leads.The Thermaltake looks like a high quality unit and so far is performing as one. The *NEW* Thermaltake TR2 closely resembles its Corsair CX 430w counterpart in appearance.

I can confirm the *NEW* Thermaltake TR2 430w PSU appears to be an extremely well built and high quality component. The overall quality of the PSU is top notch. I as a layman and self proclaimed PC hardware geek give the Thermaltake TR2 430w PSU two thumbs up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TR22.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	442   Click image for larger version

Name:	TR222.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	443  
Attached Images